PDA

View Full Version : *** July/August Lite Mapping Challenge VOTING - a magical education ***

torstan
08-16-2011, 02:40 PM
The challenge this month was to create a map of a location of magical learning. Once again we had a great collection of entries with some talented new faces.

You can find the (new format) thumbnails here:
Lite Challenge Thumbs
(http://www.cartographersguild.com/challenge_thumbs.php?type=lite)
This month we have 9 final entries. Please vote for TWO (2) maps. Remember to rep those you vote for.

This vote will end in 4 days and the winner wil receive a silver compass, bragging rights and a $40 Profantasy voucher.

ravells
08-16-2011, 03:12 PM
So, so hard this month. I voted for Len Wolf and tilt, but Moe and Vascant were very close.

Jaxilon
08-16-2011, 04:10 PM
That took me a while to work out. In the end I started splitting hairs as to who I felt best fit the criteria for the challenge.

I voted for Moe and tilt - Great job guys!

There were 3 others I agonized over -

(these next two I think were my favorites as far as pure gorgeousness)
Map Vandal - I really love this style and the only reason I didn't vote for it was that it seemed like a map of the town more so than the school.
Len Wolf - I love your map it looks like it came right from a magazine page. You may have suffered a tiny bit from my inability to read it due to language barriers but I still loved it.
Vascant - I thought this was a nice take. I think if you had added some depth to the image with some shadows and highlights this would have really popped. It's great as it is, just a little flat looking to my eyes.

The rest of the entries were good as well but the above ones were those that really caught my eye this round. Thanks again everyone for providing some wonderful things to look at that fire the imagination! You all rock.

cantab
08-16-2011, 04:24 PM
I actually laughed when I saw the location marked "Failed Students" in Gronk's Akadami, so that gets one of my votes.

Picking another is really hard. I like Len Wolff's map but I can't read the text. I really like the dual depictions in Moe's entry, but then I also like the concept of Vascant's. The decision between them ended up coming down to an actual coin flip, which Vascant won.

Master TMO
08-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Eep. Wasn't paying attention and only voted once. *facepalm* Every single entry had something interesting about it. Made choosing difficult. Good work all!

jfrazierjr
08-16-2011, 04:49 PM
I actually laughed when I saw the location marked "Failed Students" in Gronk's Akadami, so that gets one of my votes.

Go read the last post where I give a brief backstory... :)

Diamond
08-16-2011, 04:56 PM
So, so hard this month.
Indeed. Moe and Len got my votes, but the agony of choosing... gah.

Vascant
08-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Vascant - I thought this was a nice take. I think if you had added some depth to the image with some shadows and highlights this would have really popped. It's great as it is, just a little flat looking to my eyes.

To me that's better then a vote, this was only my second map I had ever done so I can walk away from this with knowing how to make it and new maps better. Since I did this map jfrazierjr has taught me a lot regarding shading and giving areas some depth :) Thanks

Moe
08-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Puh that's a tough descision to make...
Finally I voted for Vascant and Vandal - and repped of course ;)

>Moe

eViLe_eAgLe
08-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Too bad I dropped out :/

jfrazierjr
08-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks to those who voted for my entry.... I wish had another 3-4 hours available to have worked on it, but as it was, I threw together 8 tree brushes(and they looked rushed!), the "houses", the inset "cave", and the palisade brush in about 2 hours this morning... I still wish I had had time to do several more things such as better trees and housing, but I am quite darn proud of my palisade brush...I think that turned out pretty darn well...

And, as I expected, Moe is the early front runner and Vascant has a respectable 2nd place so far....

And now.. for the rest of the story I could not get into the post itself:

Gronk boasts a 100% graduation date... but that perfect record is due in large part that every failing student meets with some untimely "accidental" death. This map was created by a young student named Burgnkok. Out boredom one day, Burgnkok started drawing a map(perhaps in a plan to escape???). And while Burgnkok was a semi-talented artist(for an ork) and well as fairly smart, his gross motor skills prevented him from making many of the intricate movements required for spellcasting.

Unfortunately, Gronk found his talent for art(but not this map) and had his fingers broken....well.... as to be expected, ork shaman with broken fingers can't cast spells very well and..well..Burgnkok "decided" that he should commit suicide by jumping off the cliff(coincidentally, it seems that many students choose this exact same spot to kill themselves). Not long afterwards Krangnar, a brute by any definition of the word, joined the school and found the map under Burgnkok's bedding and well... he took the map as his own work. Unfortunately Gronk determined fairly quickly that Krangnar's brain was far smaller than his brawn and he also disappeared under mysterious circumstances along with the map... Perhaps the map may one day see the light of day again.. or perhaps some rats or wolves at it at the bottom of a cliff somewhere.....

jfrazierjr
08-16-2011, 09:19 PM
To me that's better then a vote, this was only my second map I had ever done so I can walk away from this with knowing how to make it and new maps better. Since I did this map jfrazierjr has taught me a lot regarding shading and giving areas some depth :) Thanks

Your welcome.. I owe so much to this place, but especially RobA for the GIMP help and advice and Torstan for the advice/help with shading as well as inspiration... not to mention hundreds of others along the way.. Glad I could help you out... no go and do likewise..

Chashio
08-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Syeesh. Well, Moe, you had it coming. But second choice was tough... toss up between Wolf and Tilt, they're both beautiful maps. Wolff, I liked your style very much (being able to read the labels would be even better). Tilt, the multi-levels and secret passages were fun for the imagination (though next time consider doing a shadow of the first level to make it easier to visualize). That said, Tilt gets it by a hair. Smiles to everyone else who participated this month - keep it up! =)

eAgLe - Next time the scanner protests, use a camera. That map has potential, I hope you'll finish it at some point.

waldronate
08-17-2011, 02:39 AM
Once again we have the sort of challenge that is hard to judge. Moe had an excellent piece of artwork that incorporated a couple of maps. Surveyor also had a nice piece of art that incorporated a map. But I ended up voting for Len Wolff and Map Vandal because their entries were maps that incorporated artwork. Most of the rest of the entries felt unfinished.

tilt
08-17-2011, 04:56 AM
Nice to see so many entries :)
My votes went to Moe for his beautiful map, knew he'd win this one - but that only made me work harder *lol*, and to jfraz for his great idea.

A few comments:
Cantab: good start - some labels to tell what is where would have been good - that would make us "enter" the map/world :)
jfraz: the finish was a little fast concidering all the work you made in the beginning - great fun though :)
len wolf: nice idea - it helped a lot with running some filters to make it look more hand drawn, however I feel that the roof look a little of in the style - and its a little dark, but good overall :)
map vandal: as usual you make a great map - however, I didn't feel that you fulfilled the demands of the challenge - you mapped the town close to the challenge goal :)
Moe: just great - the seal and pencil looks a little artificial in comparision to the rest - but a clear winner there - loved the blue color - hard to compete with that composition *lol* :)
surveryor: fun idea with the folder - but I'd liked a little more actual map :)
tim allen: great start, to bad you didn't finish it, nice with the little footsteps :)
vascant: really good - a little more depth would lift it though :)

good work all - see you in the next challenge :)

cantab
08-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Yeah, as I ranted elsewhere, I finished the labelling on mine a few hours too late. Well I suppose that's my own fault for leaving it until the last minute. Once the voting's closed, I'll post the labeled version in the Town Mapping forum.

arsheesh
08-17-2011, 02:41 PM
I voted for Moe and Tilt, but some real fine maps all around!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Sagenlicht
08-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Some great entries, for sure more than votes availible.

My votes did go to Tilt and Len Wolff.

Riggamorphus
08-17-2011, 04:35 PM
I voted for tilt. The use of the emblems reminds me of.... Anyways, very clever idea tilt.
Cheers to all who participated.

flocko
08-18-2011, 12:12 AM
There were a lot of cool entries, but I eventually settled on Moe and Vascant.
Moe- Loved the style and artistic detail
Vascant - I really appreciated the clarity and consideration for the inner workings of the school.

Too bad I dropped out :/ I share your regret. But there's always next time!

AlexTna
08-19-2011, 05:54 AM
I voted for Moe and tilt, really good maps, loved Moe's map from the beginning. But the other entries were quite good, cheers to all that participated!

Moe
08-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Thank you - 290blue, AlexTna, arsheesh, bartmoss, Beoner, Chashio, Coyotemax, Diamond, flocko, Gallifreyan, gilgamec, Jaxilon, jfrazierjr, Lumenoris, Lyandra, moutarde, Redrobes, Rythal, Schattenherz, Steel General, tilt, twister, Yandor for all your votes, reputation and kind words during this challenge!
I am amazed by your feedback!

All entries are pretty cool and you came up with a lot of great ideas. If some of you would have had more time I surely wouldn't have my first medal now...
Thanks again :)

Cheers,
>Moe

tilt
08-21-2011, 03:37 AM
congrats Moe, it was a great entry :)

ravells
08-21-2011, 07:15 AM
Grats Moe! Well done!