PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Quackozia

Quackor
08-16-2011, 05:49 PM
So here it is: my first WIP after joining the site. After traipsing through the tuturials section for a bit I've made a start on making a "generic fantasy map" for practice. It's temporarily named Quackozia because I don't have an actual name figured out yet.

I spent some time experimenting with my own version of Flawedspirit's land/mountain texture tutorial, and have made good use of Ramah's "Coastline Brushes" - thanks to both. Current status is this:

I'm not sure what kind of style I will want to adhere to for things like forests and mountains: leaving them just as colours (tricky, there's a lot for me to learn there as well) and textures or adding actual sprites/icons for them. And I don't even want to think about rivers, roads and cities yet ;)

Any thoughts?

Diamond
08-16-2011, 06:03 PM
That's great work on the coastline ripples! I love the fade-out on the outermost one.

As for the forests/mountains/etc - I think you ought to go the icon route; it'd be a shame to have such a nice coastline complemented only by colored blobs for everything else...

Quackor
08-16-2011, 06:13 PM
That's great work on the coastline ripples! I love the fade-out on the outermost one.

Haha, figures, the most noticable part of my WIP is something else I found (and forgot to include in the credits list, apologies): I used the "Ripples" style from the Israh Tutorial (http://www.worldofgotha.com/PF_TUTORIAL/israh_index.html) for that.