PDA

View Full Version : WIP - The Continent of Tamriel

geamon
08-17-2011, 05:34 PM
This is a trying to get back in cartography project. I fell off the bus for a bit so trying to get back into the swing of things with a continent style map. Been playing a lot of Elder Scrolls games recently and therefore decided to make my own version of Tamriel. I'm happy with the base texture and color scheme just undecided as to where to progress from here on out. Debating using hand drawn brush style to fill in the map. One of the hard things is a lot of the provinces aren't fully fleshed out with geography so it's difficult to find resources that describe elements to flesh out the areas. Let me know what you guys think.

eViLe_eAgLe
08-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Can this be.. A fan map of tamriel ;)?

Rythal
08-17-2011, 10:58 PM
looks good. out of curiosity, what is the scale?

geamon
08-17-2011, 11:27 PM
It's a scale of about 50px = 100km.

Edit: That is the scale of the lore or actual world distances. Within the CRPG's the distance is much less for practicality reasons.

geamon
08-18-2011, 03:54 AM
Latest update, I seem to be going about this in reverse, hopefully this doesn't come back and bite me. I'm concerned that when I start labeling major communities and cities that it will become congested with text.

Diamond
08-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Looking really good so far. I like the soft, subtle colors.

I'm concerned that when I start labeling major communities and cities that it will become congested with text.
Yeah, that's the problem I'm having with my Magnamund map; I feel like I should have started MUCH bigger, because now the text is overwhelming everything.

arsheesh
08-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Nice textures, and that compass is kick-@$$!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

geamon
08-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Haha It's probably my best compass. It's a higher res screenshot of one side of the Oblivion gold coin object made by a modder to give the coins a better look. So it's even part of the lore of the world. I'm pretty proud of it.

P.S. Is it just me or is there something or odd about the ocean/sea labels? I dunno it's bugging me.

jbgibson
08-19-2011, 12:01 AM
geamon, I'm really liking this!

Maybe the sea labels are subtly jarring because the drop shadow isn't on the same side of all them?

Jaxilon
08-19-2011, 01:21 AM
This is looking really good. It's nice to see you at it again.

geamon
08-19-2011, 11:40 AM
It's actually not a drop shadow. I had Gaussian blurred the letters slightly, inverted the color to white, bump mapped the letters on themselves and then set the layer to soft light with a duplicate layer above set to grain extract and opacity 50% with another duplicate layer bellow Gaussian blurred to form an unsubstantial glow when set to divide. Maybe I may have accidentally bumped mapped some labels with a different azimuth? But it's something else about them that's bugging me, it's not fitting the composition of the map somehow. I dunno....

Thanks for the compliments and greetings everyone.

geamon
08-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Spent all yesterday adding/scouring for sources on the net containing road information. So here's the result unsure of the accuracy but hey it's better than nothing. Disabled the ocean/sea labels until I find a better version that fits. Also did additional color corrections.

Moe
08-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Great work so far - I'll keep an eye on that :)

>Moe

Vorhees
08-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Looking Good , have to agree that Compass Rocks Dude

Elpolloloco52
08-25-2011, 01:15 AM
This map looks great. Also, I think the TES: Arena province maps have roads on them. The Imperial Library (here (http://www.imperial-library.info/)) hosts them. Also, this map (http://skyrimguild.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Skyrim-map.png), which is a partially edited scan of the Skyrim map seen in one of the game previews, has some roads on it. There is another one at that angle without the highlighting somewhere, but I can't find it.

geamon
08-25-2011, 02:26 AM
I've used all those sources already. Problem is the arena maps don't mesh with any of the more modern TES game or maps. I think I've got an accurate enough road system as I will ever get.

jPeMelin
08-25-2011, 07:06 AM
It is really pretty!

The texture and colors feels like rugged and tinted paper, or suede leather. The subtle depression on the borders gives it more leather than papery feel.
The towns could be small studs in the leather following the same idea of craft. Only the flatness and overbright white of the capitol star in the center feels off I think.

Good work. I'm looking forward to follow this work.

/Jim

TregMallin
08-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Looking good so far. In fact it makes me a bit nostalgic. I wonder if they still consider me a hero back in Kvatch after all these years. ;)

geamon
08-25-2011, 11:39 PM
I prefer being the Gray Fox personally. haha

geamon
08-27-2011, 02:05 AM
So I've labeled all the towns found an awesome font for it. Just struggling working with brushes or even creating my own. Best I've been able to do is modify Gidde's tree brushes a bit but placement is just awkward. I think I'm gonna need to polish my tablet skills and draw every thing by hand, I dunno.

jasales
02-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Terrific map. Did you ever finish it?

tinker
04-09-2013, 04:44 AM
I would also be interested in knowing if this map is progressing / finished.