PDA

View Full Version : Server upgrade in progress, post here if you have any problems.

Robbie
08-21-2011, 08:51 PM
I have just started the process of upgrading the server. We're going to be running at a maximum level over the next few days, and scaling back as necessary once we monitor the sites load averages. The process started about 5 minutes ago to move everything over to the new server. So if you notice any problems, please post them here. There will probably be some dns errors on some isps because it takes a while for some dns entries to propagate, and there may be some hiccups and maybe even a lost post or two, but if you notice anything, please post about it here so we can look into it.

Wish us luck! This is an important step for the Guild right now.

RobA
08-21-2011, 10:08 PM
In particular - please report any incidents of getting:

"500 error"s on page load (Internal Server Error)
broken thumbnails on image attaching

-Rob A>

Robbie
08-22-2011, 08:55 AM
I'd also be interested in knowing if anyone notices any performance or speed increases.

Sent from my rooted OG droid running Steel Droid rom via the tapatalk app.

Moe
08-22-2011, 09:50 AM
In general if have the feeling that the site reacts pretty fast today. Could be fallacy as well...
But definitely no decreases.

>Moe

bartmoss
08-22-2011, 11:58 AM
No issues yet today, I will be sure to let you guys know if I notice anything - but, let me already thank you for working on this issue! It's very much appreciated.

Ascension
08-22-2011, 05:36 PM
What I've noticed is that it takes a second or two to like think about loading a page then loads it. After it's done thinking it loads faster, though.

Robbie
08-22-2011, 07:18 PM
RobA was running some stress testing earlier, so that may have made things a little slower earlier, but overall the resource consumption seems fairly consistent and pleasingly low. I've been told that none of our processes were killed today. RobA had some errors with some large attachments, but they weren't related to the host killing the process. So far so good.

Jaxilon
08-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Not a problem but I noticed a little "auto-saved" pop up message in the lower right corner while I'm typing things...what does that mean? Sometimes I type something and then re-read it only to destroy it because I realize it might not be taken correctly by the person I am sending it to. I did just upgrade Firefox a day ago so maybe it's on my end, LOL.....that would figure.

So far everything is good but I haven't been uploading any images lately which seems to be the one thing that hiccups the most.

Moe
08-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Not a problem but I noticed a little "auto-saved" pop up message in the lower right corner...
Should be on your side, Jaxilon.
I'm pretty sure I had this yellow pop-up before the update but I don't know how it works ;)

>Moe

jbgibson
08-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Both quick reply and advanced reply lost the leading strip of edit buttons - bold, italic, link, etc. I suppose it could be just me, but they were there on a CG window I opened last night or this morning, now they're gone in FF 6, IE 7 and Chrome 13.

Robbie
08-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Just applied a patch to upgrade the software as well as the security of the site. Once I merge all the templates, there may be some visual bug fixes, especially with the editor I'm hoping. If you see any other problems or have any server errors, please let us know.

Redrobes
08-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Pretty fast and no problems. But some CSS colors issues. I am typing now black on dark brown which is hard work. Also, for me, when I hover my mouse over some of the icons like say the jump to next set of pages it auto opens up the box. Same on moderation tools and general discussion etc. You used to have to click on them. There was another mid blue text on brown I saw the other day. I think with peoples profile text - ahh yes on the send private message list etc.

bartmoss
08-29-2011, 04:46 AM
Haven't had any of the server errors anymore I think, so I am a happy mapper. :)

Robbie
08-29-2011, 09:31 AM
Well, the free week is over and we've scaled it back to something affordable. This of course may not be enough, so we'll definitely have to watch it closely. Please continue to post any errors or problems here.

As for template issues, those will probably get worked on this week.

Jaxilon
08-31-2011, 11:31 AM
I have had an odd issue that may just be due to my needing to update my Firefox....which I just did to 6.0.1 but I've had thumbs from other threads show up in odd places while I'm looking around. For instance I was looking at the lite challenges and tilt had another person's thumb plop right in the middle of his sentence. I found that if I refresh my screen it corrects itself.

A few days ago I had this in another case where one of Map-vandal's thumbs was showing up as an avatar for another person. It was grossly over sized for an avatar as well.

I will take screen shots from here on out when I see it and hopefully this little update I just ran on Firefox will correct it. I just figured I would post in case anyone else is having any oddities like this as well.

Thanks again for all your work in this regard.

Edit: Just a few minutes after posting this and here is what I'm talking about. I'm going to reboot after this but I have to head out to work so won't post again for a while:

RobA
08-31-2011, 12:51 PM
I have had an odd issue that may just be due to my needing to update my Firefox....which I just did to 6.0.1 but I've had thumbs from other threads show up in odd places while I'm looking around. For instance I was looking at the lite challenges and tilt had another person's thumb plop right in the middle of his sentence. I found that if I refresh my screen it corrects itself.

A few days ago I had this in another case where one of Map-vandal's thumbs was showing up as an avatar for another person. It was grossly over sized for an avatar as well.

I will take screen shots from here on out when I see it and hopefully this little update I just ran on Firefox will correct it. I just figured I would post in case anyone else is having any oddities like this as well.

Thanks again for all your work in this regard.

Edit: Just a few minutes after posting this and here is what I'm talking about. I'm going to reboot after this but I have to head out to work so won't post again for a while:

I had the exact same thing coming at another forum. There I chased it down to bad caching in my browser....a firefox upgrade fixed it for me there...

Also, the "auto-saving" popup mentioned is just a (new) feature of the text editor vBulletin uses, so if a page closes on return you should still have any text typed in the reply box.

-Rob A>

Urist
08-31-2011, 03:23 PM
I just noticed that the word wrap in the reply box doesn't send whole words to the next line.
Also, I tried logging in on a different computer, only to discover I had forgotten my password. I could not find the Forgot Your Password link that the FAQs say should be on the log in screen. There is a link in the FAQs, but I had to dig to find it.

Robbie
09-03-2011, 01:30 AM
I've been using Chrome and haven't seen any cache anomalies. As for the faq. I think it may be time to reactivate the faq team and this time we finish the task. There's also a chance when I get fully functional with all my web capabilities that I'll redo the website theme completely. Alternatively if anyone has familiarity with vbulletin theming and wants to do a full new theme (sticking to similar colors) I can provide a means.

Coyotemax
09-03-2011, 02:57 AM
The autosave while typing is AWESOME. Saved me from retyping really long messages twice now!
jax, you were asking how it works.. when I lost your post, open up a new reply, i found an option to use the autosaved text and there it was!

**in fact, I just got booted off the site, I'm replying right now, and I had my autosave waiting for me!

The only issue i've been having is that CSS issue, light blue text on brown background in the profile pages.
I remember finding a page full of CSS style options and I manually adjusted the colour to dark green.. I was looking all over the place for that config page just before coming to this thread to post.. I'm guessing that was one of the demo features that is no more?

Midgardsormr
09-03-2011, 12:13 PM
I was getting unspecified database errors last night. Couldn't access the site at all. I don't know if that was related to the upgrade or not.

RobA
09-04-2011, 12:29 PM
I was getting unspecified database errors last night. Couldn't access the site at all. I don't know if that was related to the upgrade or not.

Please record the details of any errors and provide them here later if possible...

TIA-

-Rob A>

RobA
09-05-2011, 03:57 PM
The only issue i've been having is that CSS issue, light blue text on brown background in the profile pages.
I remember finding a page full of CSS style options and I manually adjusted the colour to dark green.. I was looking all over the place for that config page just before coming to this thread to post.. I'm guessing that was one of the demo features that is no more?

Grumble grumble. Dang forum software - this is a known issue (missing stylevar) since Nov 2010 and still not fixed. I hard coded the colour to the same as out site links.

-Rob A>

Redrobes
09-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Cheers Rob, that looks a lot better.

Coyotemax
09-06-2011, 01:02 AM
That's nice. I can work with that ;)

Ascension
09-06-2011, 02:04 AM
Server seemed really slow today for page loads but after I've clicked a few pages it gets a bit faster. One style thing I saw was the reply boxes for articles...the boxes were white and so was the text so I had to highlight everything (turns the background blue) to read the stuff on my Butcher map feature.

Coyotemax
09-14-2011, 02:36 AM
Grumble grumble. Dang forum software - this is a known issue (missing stylevar) since Nov 2010 and still not fixed. I hard coded the colour to the same as out site links.

-Rob A>

I FOUND IT!
I was looking through my Profile page - and in the top right there was a button that said "Customize My Profile". I clicked on that and it opened the custom colours page .. allows you to customize nearly all the colours of the site. Page colours, button colours, pretty much everything. that's where I'd switched the light grey to the dark green that day.

For what it's worth.

Steel General
09-16-2011, 07:46 AM
I have noticed over the past week or two that the login doesn't work correctly. I usually have to enter everything twice (the first time gives me a invalid URL message).

JoeyD473
09-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Not connected directly to the recent upgrade, but when I click on "Mark Forum Read" in the General and Software threads it doesn't look like it actually marked the unread threads as read. But if I go to the main forum list (or just reload the General and Software pages manually) they are marked as read. It does it in all browsers on all comps for me, It has been doing this for quite a while actually