PDA

View Full Version : Conan

Diamond
08-24-2011, 12:11 AM
I just saw this today and was... severely disappointed. Jason Momoa actually made a really good Conan, and it was cool hearing Morgan Freeman do the intro voice-overs. Rose McGowan also made a gleefully insane villainess. But the actual plot... so bad. So very, very bad. It could have been any generic sword & sorcery movie from the 80s - you know, like Deathstalker or Beastmaster*, etc. Yes, it was that terrible. I felt like I died a little inside when the credits began to roll.

*Actually, I kind of liked the original Beastmaster.

Ascension
08-24-2011, 01:48 AM
I loved the beastmaster as an early teen. I thought it was so cool to have trained pets like that, the otters and hawk. Plus Tanya Roberts, rowr. When I first saw the trailer for this I immediately thought "launch vessel for khal drogo dude as a new action star" and didn't expect much.

Jaxilon
08-24-2011, 02:11 AM
Dude, those were Ferrets not Otters. Although clearly they are similar in look. Otters are way bigger than Ferrets. I used to own a Ferret. They are hilarious but smell a bit so you have to keep them bathed real good. Cool pets though and they love to play.

Clercon
08-24-2011, 03:19 AM
If they wanted to do a new Conan film that was true to Robert E. Howards writing. Why not filming the Elephants tower. That would have been a great film. I mean a lot of the stories Howard wrote are great with a good plot and everything. Why did they try to reinvent the story, when they obviously didn't knoww how to do it.

Diamond
08-24-2011, 03:45 AM
Yep, I totally agree, Clercon. There's so much rich movie material ALREADY THERE!!!!! Why they felt the need to come up with this abortion of a 'story' I'll never understand.

But I did see a trailer for The Thing remake, which actually looks really damn good, so it wasn't a totally wasted afternoon.

ravells
08-24-2011, 05:40 AM
Arrrrgh! I'm going to see it when it releases here and had such high hopes....dang.

Ramah
08-24-2011, 07:47 AM
I loved the beastmaster as an early teen. I thought it was so cool to have trained pets like that, the otters and hawk. Plus Tanya Roberts, rowr. When I first saw the trailer for this I immediately thought "launch vessel for khal drogo dude as a new action star" and didn't expect much.

This. Everything about this.

Steel General
08-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Yeah it kinda bombed at the box office, in fact most of the new(er) movies did relatively poorly this past weekend.

ravells
08-24-2011, 08:02 AM
Yeah, I recently watched 'Your Highness' on pay per view, from the trailers it looked like they were running with the idea of the TV series 'Krod Mandoon and the Flaming sword of Fire'. Krod Mandoon was excellent, hammed up and tipped a lot of winks to D&D players - who are after all the target market. 'Your Highness' was abysmal, - terrible script, where the running joke seemed to be that having a fantasy character who used bad language was funny. Possibly the first time, but it then became very tedious after that. No D&D 'in jokes' that I could see either. Truly dreadful.

waldronate
08-24-2011, 11:14 AM
I think our motto from work may apply here: "Quality with a capital K."

Ascension
08-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Otters, ferrets...I'm an idiot but I plead the oxycontin defense since I had a root canal and was a bit loopy. :)

ravells
08-24-2011, 06:36 PM
Well you're the first person I've seen who has had root canal and put a smiley next to it, big A. I had root canal a few years ago and after all the stories I'd heard was worried about the pain. Glad to say it was entirely painless and I was worried about nothing. Forgot to say, that I thought Beastmaster rocked too when I watched it in 80s.

Redrobes
08-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Theres a really good review about conan on enworld. No plans myself to see it. I am waiting for TinTin tho :D

http://www.enworld.org/forum/media-lounge-miscellaneous-geek-stuff/310259-conan-barbarian.html