PDA

View Full Version : August 2011 Entry: Lokar Bandits Hideout

eViLe_eAgLe
08-24-2011, 02:41 AM
Yes I know "What is he doing in the Mapping challenge?" The reason im not in the lite challenge is that I prefer this theme over the other. And gives me an excuse to map more of my fantasy world i've been working on and off with. The illustrious world of Skaya!

I will be trying to build on this style:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?15171-Un-named-Village-map

eViLe_eAgLe
08-24-2011, 03:05 AM
Holy.. I only have 2 days! :o
I came back to say one thing.. Its more of a fortified village than a hideout so its a very scattered bandit village of sorts.

tilt
08-24-2011, 03:08 AM
2 days... gotta hurry up then... map, map like the wind ;) ... and great that you enter - there are no requirement of who may enter so the race is open :)

Gamerprinter
08-24-2011, 03:10 AM
When I joined the Guild, there was only the Mapping Challenge, no such thing as a Lite Challenge, and even then depending on the challenge participation was sparse. We soldiered on while the Mapping Challenge started to really grow. So, I never got the luxury of having a Lite Challenge. My first challenge win was back in November 2007 - so I've been at it (being involved with challenges for a long time!) I've probably participated in over 20 challenges so far.

To me, the challenges have always been a testing ground to create experimental wonders within a limited period of time (less than one month) - its a learning experience that you just can't beat. You don't have to win, participating is half the fun.

Good luck!

GP

eViLe_eAgLe
08-24-2011, 03:49 AM
### Latest WIP ###
http://gyazo.com/55c6aa84e598d189419ebbf5307dbe6b.png

Most of this took me thinking about buildings and how they could be there and such.

eViLe_eAgLe
08-24-2011, 05:04 AM
Going pretty smoothly if I say so myself :)

eViLe_eAgLe
08-24-2011, 05:20 AM
### Latest WIP ###
http://gyazo.com/480cb947abf4fe9f88f91a3e224fe77d.png

How should I do the buildings? Just plain black? Or diagnol lines inside of them? Or just the outlines, or (yes another or.) A hand drawn shaded style similair to what I did with the castle and one building.

tilt
08-24-2011, 05:31 AM
I think you shold shade them or remove the shade so they follow the same style. I also think you should make the castles lines as thin as the other building - right now its like the odd one out. I know its a mountain challenge, but they seem a little dominating, perhaps some outlining or go to a grey? (imho) :)

eViLe_eAgLe
08-25-2011, 04:01 AM
Its turning out a bit.. Different. Its now 3 maps. With a story! If I can finish it in time that is.

eViLe_eAgLe
08-25-2011, 05:02 AM
### Latest WIP ###
http://gyazo.com/8009715424701849e0e33ff4f07c618b.png

eViLe_eAgLe
08-25-2011, 06:09 AM
### Latest WIP ###
http://gyazo.com/0681bf623ae4c55a30c3e525217e34d5.png

Still filling out the story and adding messing with a few things.

eViLe_eAgLe
08-25-2011, 07:36 AM
### Latest WIP ###

The story probably isn't that good.. Same as other stuff. I rushed this and im le tired. Good night for now!

Oh and if you bother to read the story.. Read from the top left to bottom right.
(And the size of the file decreased from 4000 x 8000 to 2000 x 4000 at 11 to decrease file size.)

Jaxilon
08-25-2011, 10:10 AM
I like the tone of this EE. It does look a little messy with the hatching and the text also going in all directions. Maybe if you lightened up the text a bit the images would pop out more? Nice job so far.

Ascension
08-25-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm with Jax, keep the text straight. Also, cut out some of the linework around the text so that there is just blank paper to act as a "glow" effect. That will keep things from running into each other or overlapping.

eViLe_eAgLe
08-25-2011, 03:49 PM
### Latest WIP ###

I added the fade around the letters.
I also added darkness on everything except the maps.

Map Vandal
08-25-2011, 05:34 PM
This really looks good!

eViLe_eAgLe
08-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Thank ye' kindly!

Gamerprinter
08-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Indeed it does look good, EE!

At first I thought the giant stars were going to represent your mountains, but I see they were just a guide for you to place the hatch elevations. Interesting technique. Agreed with the critiques regarding the text over image areas. And super minor nit-pik, even though the mapper is 'In Character' speaking, to me 'info' in your first line is a modern abbreviated word and not something that anyone before the 20th century would ever use - even if spoken in a slang style - but like I said, minor, minor complaint.

Have some Rep!

Edit: I checked your Rep before and after I bonked you, not realizing it, I dish out 16 points of Rep when I bonk - cool!

GP

eViLe_eAgLe
08-25-2011, 06:45 PM
I am afraid.. I have no clue what word or sentence that is! But thanks for the rep!

Jaxilon
08-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Never realized Rep was variable - I smack with +13 so you got me beat GP.

Ascension
08-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Great stuff EE but the glows on some of the text looks kinda tan and doesn't match the paper.

eViLe_eAgLe
08-25-2011, 08:19 PM
I know.. I've been looking at that too. In a little bit ill fix it.

Gamerprinter
08-25-2011, 08:27 PM
I am afraid.. I have no clue what word or sentence that is! But thanks for the rep!

First line, top right - 'info'.

Never realized Rep was variable - I smack with +13 so you got me beat GP.

Jax, though I don't know the exact formula, its based on number of posts, time as a member and amount of own REP you have yourself.

Ascension
08-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Calculating rep is sort of like calculating the national debt in trillions of dollars - at some point it's just sacrificing chickens and hocus pocus. :)

eViLe_eAgLe
08-25-2011, 10:18 PM
First line, top right - 'info'.

Jax, though I don't know the exact formula, its based on number of posts, time as a member and amount of own REP you have yourself.

Info wasn't a word back then? What about intel?

Gamerprinter
08-25-2011, 11:14 PM

Info wasn't a word back then? What about intel?

Intel, same thing.

How about 'it took me weeks to conduct the surveys just for this area.' - I'm thinking 'knowledge' is too long for the line space, just as information and intelligence are too long. I see the issue. Don't change it if it works for you, I'm just seeing a nice flavor in the way the narrator is speaking/writing. Using 'info', 'intel' or even 'data' is just too modern to fit your theme. Very nitpicky, I know - it just jumps out at me.

Otherwise great map!

eViLe_eAgLe
08-25-2011, 11:56 PM
### Latest WIP ###

Added a few things.. Changed colors.. Blah blah.

Coyotemax
08-25-2011, 11:57 PM
I see you're using photoshop - if it helps any, what I usually do for the text to avoid the glow looking like a glow is to use a mask - masks are your friend!! (on my latest project I don't think I have ANY layers or groups that don't use a mask)

Take all your mappy bits, anything that's going to be under the text, and group it. make sure your text layers are above this group (I usually end up with 2 groups that subdivide.. Text, and Map) Put a mask on the map elements group, and then use a soft brush (or jagged, or both) to mask out the areas that are behind the text. That way instead of having a glow that doesn't always match the paper, it looks more like the areas around the text are either erased so the writing can be placed , or drawn around the text.

Using a soft brush with either a medium grey or black with low flow/opacity setting makes the drawing look faded and erased so the text could be placed after the drawing was made. Use a hard brush with full opacity and flow to mask out the areas of text if the text was there first and the drawing placed afterward.

If that's confusing let me know.

eViLe_eAgLe
08-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Thanks Coyo (hope you don't mind if I call you that.)
I don't dabble in masks that much ;) I need to get used to using them though.. They can be helpful when doing a destructive technique..
What I did to fade out was to select the text layers and just make it a work path and select a soft edge brush 50 opacity 75 flow and just stroke path with brush once and then increase to a larger size and stroke path with brush again.
And, no, I easily got lost back when I was just starting using Photoshop. Not anymore! :)

Coyotemax
08-26-2011, 12:06 AM
doublepost! you posted an update while I was typing my last one out ;) Awesome work, it's looking more natural.

Another thought occured to me, in an earlier version of the map, you had your writing kind of all over the place, and then you tightened it up so it's all straight lines. I'm guessing you were going for the "this all got handwritten out by someone in a hurry so they didn't have the time to write in nice neat paragraphs"..

I've got a rather time consuming method that works wonderfully - I've used it on a few maps (mostly the Gromet and Friends maps for the Passage of Time and Trade challenges).

Once I had all my text placed out the way I wanted it, I went nuts with the pen tool, drawing out a separate line for each line of text that was being placed. I then tweaked each of the lines so they had a few small bends, changes to angles, and in some cases even picked out a few bits where I widened the text or shrunk it ever so slightly. That gave it a more organic feel, but if you do that be careful, people typically have a tendency to write in relatively neat lines but a few subtle variations can make it look very natural and handwritten.

Of course the ultimate way of doing that is to actually write the text out yourself on a piece of paper, scan it, and add as a layer overtop set to multiply ;)
If you do that, run your text layers out on a printer, that makes an excellent guide for writing by hand, then run it through the masking process above.

This all assumes you have a scanner, printer, and the time to do it (or a bit of affinity with the pen tool, and lots more time) ;)

eViLe_eAgLe
08-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Ill try that out, And as for that stuff.. I do have all of that except the affinity with the pen tool.. I can't really do precise things with my slow machine. And I have terrible handwriting.. But Methinks I shall still try it!

eViLe_eAgLe
08-26-2011, 03:51 AM
Lets see if I can squeeze a few more things in before it ends.

eViLe_eAgLe
08-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Anything I should add?