PDA

View Full Version : *** August 2011 Challenge Voting - Map a mountain location ***

ravells
08-28-2011, 05:50 AM
PLEASE VOTE FOR 1 ENTRY

Thanks to everyone for taking part in this month's challenge. As usual, excellent entries and as usual, a tough vote!

The Challenge this month was: to map a mountain top location in which mountains must be prominently featured.

There were 8 entries which means only 1 vote, I'm afraid (just to make it even tougher on the voters).

So please consult our new super-duper THUMBNAILS (http://www.cartographersguild.com/challenge_thumbs.php?type=regular)and cast your vote.

As always, please don't forget to cast rep to those deserving of it!

:: Edit apologies for the description of Map Vandal's entry where the copy and paste somehow captured the first line of his first post! ::

tilt
08-28-2011, 10:11 AM
great looking maps, to bad not all got to finish.
Amongst the finished maps we have:
evile_eagle: nice colors, and fun idea. A little heavy on the text side, and the mountain doesn't take up much attention.
gamerprinters: always love gp's use of colors and he makes beautiful maps - so this month he gets my vote
map vandal: nice colors, the town depiction like he used in the magic school map - he made an interesting map, however I don't really get a mountain feel as the challenge requires.
sagenlicht: very nice mountain - but I feel something is missing from it
vman3force: might have gotten my vote if he'd finished - really like the simplicity of it :)
good job all - rep is on its way :)

Master TMO
08-28-2011, 11:45 AM
I voted for Evile_Eagle's for the execution and story. I think Sagenlicht's was my second choice, for the realistic rocky terrain.

Jaxilon
08-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Some great entries this round. I wish I had found the time and motivation to entry this one myself. I just had too many other things going on.

In the end I voted for EE's entry because for some reason I just really like the look and imagery of it. I wish I had it in my hand printed on a piece of leather you know? Good job man.

I'm in a rush this morning so I won't get into the others as I often try to do but there were things I really liked in most of them.

eViLe_eAgLe
08-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks for all the votes guys!

Sagenlicht
08-28-2011, 02:04 PM
As usual a tough vote.

My vote did go to eViLe_eAgLe, its nicely done and reflects the spirit of the challenge more than maybe any other entry.
The Floating Mountains by tilt‎ would have been my second choice, its a clever idea and overall its nicely done.
The Nine Bridges of Atayama by Gamerprinter‎ - as always nicely done by GP. A great map.
Aerie Fief by Map Vandal - its a nice map for sure I just didnt have the mountain feeling I needed to have to vote for it.

Gamerprinter
08-28-2011, 02:37 PM
I was torn between Evil Eagles and Map Vandals map, in the end, I loved MV's hatchuers, so I chose his map.

As an aside to eVIL eAgle - it's bad karma to vote for yourself, we never do - good map though!

GP

eViLe_eAgLe
08-28-2011, 03:49 PM
I know.. Greedy.. But, I did it the first time entered a contest so its somewhat of a habit.. If I could re-vote I think i'd pick Map Vandal's.

ravells
08-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Don't worry, EE, GP's forgetting this (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?1210-November-Challenge-Voting%21&highlight=voted) bit of ancient history.

GP: I loved the little Ukioye nod in your map in the river with the pure white foam against the bridge....beautiful! Like you, I thought that MV's hatchures were just magical...and I loved the font choice, it was perfect...but you were a very, very close second.

Gamerprinter
08-28-2011, 07:11 PM
No, I didn't forget, that's why I don't it anymore, nor recommend others to do so. When I learn a lesson, I spread the wisdom, if I can.

GP

eViLe_eAgLe
08-29-2011, 12:51 AM
Ill stop next time :) I actually wanted to vote for Map Vandal as I think he should win. But alas.. Greed is a recurring sin.

ravells
08-29-2011, 05:15 AM
No, I didn't forget, that's why I don't it anymore, nor recommend others to do so. When I learn a lesson, I spread the wisdom, if I can.

GP

That is good!

RjBeals
08-29-2011, 11:53 AM
what lesson - you won that challenge GP...
Also - I voted for you here!

Gamerprinter
08-29-2011, 01:01 PM
While participating in a challenge can be both fun and a great learning experience, the real purpose of the challenge is to support the community. Thus voting on the challenge is also supporting the community. However, if you only vote for yourself, then you are NOT supporting the community. Although I won that challenge way back in November 2007, I voted for myself, was pointed out to doing so and got embarressed for doing that.

I want to support the community, so I never vote for myself - this is the lesson learned.

Edit: also for all the lurkers out there, you are members of this community, it's your right (and duty), so vote on the Challenge.

Master TMO
08-29-2011, 01:32 PM
I was fortunate, I had seen the self-voting bad karma mentioned somewhere before I entered my first challenge, or I'm sure I would have done it too. ;)

tilt
08-29-2011, 02:22 PM
also - a good pointer on who to vote is that politicians vote for themselves - and who want to be like those people *lol*

Ascension
08-31-2011, 01:56 AM
If I was running for President of Libya I'd vote for the other guy :)

vman3force
08-31-2011, 11:25 AM
Sorry I didnt finish guys - I got wrapped up in getting ready for this semester and I just ran out of time :/

maybe next time I'll be able to pull through.

arsheesh
08-31-2011, 02:46 PM
Nice stuff guys, my vote went towards Evile_Eagle's stunning piece.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
09-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Oh my God, these challenges get harder and harder to vote on every month. I went back and forth between Evil, Map Vandal, and GP for more than an hour.

Map Vandal's is just gorgeous, what else can I say? The work it must have taken to make that... oy.

Gamerprinter as usual turns in another stunning entry, full of detail.

But ultimately I had to give it to Evil. I think it just had 'something' that struck a chord with me.

Coyotemax
09-01-2011, 05:02 AM
Like Diamond says, i had a very hard time.
I really wanted to vote for Evil, especially since I felt a bit of connection to the map during the WIP. But while looking at it and comparing, I thought that most of the others focused a bit more on the mountain theme. This is something I've run into myself, and it killed my chances in the Trade challenge vote (story distracted from the map).

I love GP's map, but when I saw Aerie Fief it surprised a "Ooooo Nice" out of me and I set it as my desktop wallpaper for both monitors before I realized what I was doing... ;)

eViLe_eAgLe
09-01-2011, 05:22 AM
Ahh! I just figured out a way too make the map and still keep everything thats on it but have the mountains as the main piece..

Coyotemax
09-01-2011, 07:10 AM
do it!! make a new wip thread!

Map Vandal
09-01-2011, 09:54 AM
That is high praise Coyotemax. I don't think anyone has ever wanted one of my maps as a wallpaper before. :D

Hugo Solis
09-01-2011, 11:14 AM
I suppose the voting is closed now? Can't find where to vote :P

tilt
09-01-2011, 12:04 PM
yep, the voting is closed for this challenge.

jfrazierjr
09-01-2011, 12:41 PM
I suppose the voting is closed now? Can't find where to vote :P

Bummer.. you can make up for it by participating in the next challenge...:D

Sagenlicht
09-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Gratz eViLe_eAgLe‎ :)

tilt
09-01-2011, 01:56 PM
congratz evile eagle :)

Gamerprinter
09-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Eagle earns the Gold - so that's the last Lite Challenge you'll be able to enter! :P

Already gave you REP, so I can't do it again, congratulations.

GP

eViLe_eAgLe
09-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys! :) I personally think Map Vandal should of won.. He put in alot more effort then me.

Djekspek
09-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Gratz on the shiny medal eVileE! And cheers for all who entered! cheers, DJ

Hugo Solis
09-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Congratz eViLe! As you see style goes a long way :)

ravells
09-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Good win EE! Great map!

Diamond
09-01-2011, 10:20 PM
I have 13 days off this month! I wants the new challenge! I wants it, my precious!

tilt
09-02-2011, 02:54 AM
go Diamond, GO!! ;)

Map Vandal
09-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Congratulations eViLe eAgLe. You created a great map with a wonderful style.