PDA

View Full Version : Town Near a Quarry

RobA
02-29-2008, 05:27 PM
I found myself alone with a pencil and some graph-paper today, and did a little doodle.

This is a small village that built up because of a quarry and a river. The quarry is fairly old, and now has a small lake in it from collected rainwater. The village used to have a large hotel for the barge workers to stay, but it was destroyed.

I haven't decided where to go with the map... Thinking of bringing it into Inkscape and inking over it in vector, then switching to GIMP for colouring.

As usual, looking for suggestions/comments/criticisms.

-Rob A>

rwaluchow
03-04-2008, 11:27 AM
I don't really have any constructive criticism at this point; all I can say is that I really like it and am anxious to see what you come up with.

pyrandon
03-04-2008, 04:43 PM
I'll ditto that, rwaluchow! Work on it, Rob--quit being such a slacker! ;)

delgondahntelius
03-06-2008, 09:46 PM
I agree... I want to see some more!! :D

RobA
03-10-2008, 10:29 AM
A few learned lessons.

1) Don't sketch on graphpaper.
2) Inking on screen is hard, even with a tablet....any pointers?
3) Don't bother with anything other than the finest tipped pens.

Since I couldn't eliminate the graph lines well, and I suck at tablet inking, I picked up a fresh pad of tracing paper and some cheap pens (Faber Castell PITT pens in the S,F,M,B 4 pack).

Here is where I am now (1/2 size scan). I will move on to colouring using GIMP....

-Rob A>

pyrandon
03-10-2008, 05:13 PM
This is looking very nice, Rob. I can't wait for the coloring, because I think that will really make all the features pop! Awesome fun.

(And no, I have no pointers for inking on screen--I can't get the same smooth feel with my tablet either. I wonder if that is true on a high-end tablet, too?)

RobA
03-10-2008, 06:02 PM
First start at colouring. I am using Don's city palette, and it just feels bleah to me.

Think it is time to look at other maps and start borrowing colour schemes...

-Rob A>

Kagehito
03-11-2008, 12:35 AM
I like how you drew the water around the rocks, makes the map seem more "living."

Good eye for detail, and the colors look awesome thus far... Not really screaming "bleah" to me, but I guess that just a personal taste thing. :)

Keep up the good work!

delgondahntelius
03-11-2008, 01:02 PM
lessons learned while trying to ink with a tablet:
1) use a hard round pen with no pen pressure or dynamics.
2) slow and steady wins the race. patience is a virtue.
3) like inking with pen and paper, spin the canvas around so that you don't have to turn your wrist at an awkward angle. This was actually harder to do if you didn't stick to 90 turns, as the canvas got bigger and bigger and bigger if you used the arbitrary rotation command... I found that creating an action for 5 turn, 1 turn helped to quicken the process of turning it. And cropping the image when it got too big. Pain in the neck? YES... but the benifit was that the inking was easier and smoother than trying to ink a line that I had to turn my wrist a certain way which would cause a mistake or less than desirable look. Also, when rotating, it's easier to ink lines that are generally in the same direction while you have it rotated is better than having to rotate multiple times to that same degree just to ink one line here.. and one line there...

Hope that helps... actually.. I hope that made sense....

This was in PS, btw... I don't know GIMPS commands... sorry.

The Cartographist
03-11-2008, 01:04 PM
RobA - Just a thought, but maybe your bleah feeling has to due with the fact that the majority of your colors are greens and blues. Maybe adding some more gray, brown, and tan would liven it up. Maybe even some reds or oranges (somehow) thrown in to liven up the palette.

pyrandon
03-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Okay, first of all, it's hilarious you said that about the colors because when I first looked at the map and not your comments I said to myself, "Wow--those colors are awesome!" Hahahaha. I guess I just showed where my wagon's parked, didn't I. (and PS: watch whose color palette you "bleah," buddy! ;) )

Del--that advice is golden. Have some rep.

RobA
03-11-2008, 04:43 PM
OK - think this in almost done Here are two variation, one with the colours punched up a bit, and the second with the inking set to overlay rather than multiply. What is the preference?

Thanks for the tips on digital inking. I might have to give it another go...

(Lesson learned 3....decide up front if you want to ink shadows, or colour them :) )

-Rob A>

RobA
03-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Now maybe I just though bleah because I have used that palette too much! Even too much of a good thing, you know :)

-Rob A>

rwaluchow
03-11-2008, 04:47 PM
I agree with the Cartographist. I think if you gave the trees and grass an autumn look it would really pop nicely.

Other than that I think it's looking great.

Kagehito
03-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Concerning the two that you just posted. Number one looks better in my eyes. The second one just seems to have to much glow to it. There are points where it looks better because of the glow, but as an overall piece applied to everything, it kinda takes away more then it gives.

So my vote for #1.

RobA
03-11-2008, 05:43 PM
A bit autumnal...

-Rob A>

Kagehito
03-11-2008, 05:52 PM
The red/orange color, adds the the diversity, yes, but it almost makes it look as if the trees have some sort of disease. >_<

lol all joking aside, if you can blend in a little more yellow/brown on the tress, it probably wont look like such a drastic difference. Right now it just looks a little to unnatural.

The Cartographist
03-11-2008, 08:29 PM
RobA - Of the three new variations (Left, Right, and Autumnal), I prefer the Left. While I did suggest some oranges and reds, after looking at 'Left', I don't think you need to go the Autumnal route.

I think that the additional colors that you used in 'Left' were what I had in mind. I really like the update and think that the map is done.

Airith
03-11-2008, 09:06 PM
the 1st one looks the best imo, but the 2nd one looks ... the most real? I like some parts of it a lot more.

The autumn one is as kagehito said, disease ridden :P

Midgardsormr
03-11-2008, 09:34 PM
I like the multiplied blend better. The vibrant colors suit this style better, I think.

kalmarjan
03-11-2008, 09:34 PM
I had to give you some rep on this one. I must say that I have searched and searched for a style that I would like when it came to making maps with PS. I think I may have just found it. Now, to figure out how to ink with Photoshop. ;)

Very nice map. I like the one where the colors are a bit muted. (The second where the inking is set to overlay.)

Now, off to find the tutorials and dust off my coaster (er.... old Wacom tablet.) (Got any tuts to suggest?)

Sandeman

Torq
03-12-2008, 04:04 AM
Very Nice map.

I like the most muted version of the colours. The more I see maps the more muted my colour taste has become. I am starting to think that a basic principle for mapping might well be "subtler is gooder".

Torq

delgondahntelius
03-12-2008, 12:11 PM
suggestions?? ... shade in color with brushes and save the inking for outlining... it will cut down on your time and headaches...

RobA
03-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Del - Thanks for the tip on shading. This was the first map I hand inked intending to colour afterward, and kept wanting to cross-hatch for shading.

Here is (What I consider) to be final (other than a border and some labeling)..

I went with the screen blend to lighten the colouring up. I played around with the GIMPressionist presets (painterly filters) and settled on the current one (I liked the look). The ink layer I adjusted to solid black, to stop all colour bleed through the "ink".

Thanks for the comments from everyone. I am happy now with the adjusted colours. More in line with the watercolour look I had mentally envisioned, and less bleah now :)

-Rob A>

delgondahntelius
03-12-2008, 04:56 PM
yer welcome rob.

very cool... the water color look is in this summer I think.. and I like it, I like it alot. This was a very cool thread and I enjoyed watching the beggining to the end, and the finished work is top shelf... well done!

pyrandon
03-12-2008, 06:21 PM
This is a great, great map--I love the sketchy style.

... and less bleah now :)

I HEARD THAT!!!!!!

;)

Kagehito
03-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Very nice finished product!

The addition of small details, like the red dots in the berry bushes makes this map stand out on the awesome scale even more!
Also on the topic of the bushes, reminds me of the ones from AOE...

Rep'd for its awesomeness!

StillCypher
03-14-2008, 04:02 PM
This has turned out beautifully -- so nice to see the progression!

RobA
03-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks for all the compliments!

-Rob A>

morandir62
02-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Rob, how did get the background so white after the tracing? My scanner picks up all the stray pencillings from the orignal and the tracing paper is an off-white that when I attempt to clean it I lose some of my lines.

RobA
02-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Rob, how did get the background so white after the tracing? My scanner picks up all the stray pencillings from the orignal and the tracing paper is an off-white that when I attempt to clean it I lose some of my lines.

it is just a matter of playing with contrast, brightness and gamma (or curves, the tool I prefer). And the occasional use of the eraser. If the paper is uniformly off-white you can also adjust the grey point to compensate.

-Rob A>

Zorrier
03-01-2012, 07:19 PM
I like the idea of seasons versions, nice job...

Volantris
03-30-2012, 03:09 AM
I agree with Zorrier!

heintzer
04-04-2012, 11:18 PM
I really like it :)