PDA

View Full Version : How many of you are roleplayers?

Eilathen
08-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Hi everyone,

I browsed through the first 6 pages of this subforum and did not find such a thread so i started a new one ;)

So who of you cartographers is (or was) a roleplayer? And by roleplayer i mean a pen & paper roleplayer, not crpgs ... good old face-to-face roleplaying.

There are a lot of aspiring writers on here who map for their novels and the world the stories are set in - so i am kind of curious as to how many of you are into mapping for producing maps and worlds for your gaming-needs.

And last but not least...if you out yourself as a rpg-er, tell us about your favourite setting (besides your own) and what kind of systems you like and play.

I start:

From all the published roleplaying settings i like Artesia and Middle Earth (strictly as a setting - the rules that came with it never convinced me that much) best. Why Artesia and ME? The depth of the setting and it's living and breathing mythology. Just great.
A very good setting was Birthright from good old TSR. On the same note, i loved Dragonlance (this might be because the dragonlance novels by M. Weiss and T. Hickman were my very first fantasy novels i read as an early teen).

Systemwise i dig dicepool mechanics (bellcurve all the way...i hate linear distribution). Roll and Keep is overall my favourite but i also like the storyteller system that WW uses or the newest iteration of Shadowrun 4th ed. . A dicepool variant that i need to try is the ORE in its Reign iteration.
Other nice mechanics are 3d6 (for example GURPS) roll under (or over, doesn't really matter) and i do like all the FATE games i looked into with their 4dF.

Ok, your turn...

jfrazierjr
08-29-2011, 10:52 AM
For settings, I like the D&D Forgotten Realms, DragonLance, Dark Sun settings. I also like the ShadowRun and Mechwarrior settings quite a bit. Mostly, the books(novels that is) tend to bring things alive for me which is why these are the ones I like.

D&D(the most) since the early-mid 80's starting with Red Box, AD&D, AD&D 2Ed, D&D 3.5, D&D 4E. Also played ShadowRun, Paranoid, RoleMaster/MERP, Battletech/Mechwarrior, and I am sure a few others I have forgotten. I have recently gotten interested in Savage Worlds but yet to play more than a demo game... Hoping one of our group's GM's will actually start the Super's campaign we have talked about recently in the near future. Way back, I was very intrigued by the whole RoleMaster/MERP system and its detail, but at the same time that's what drove me from it was the slow nature of all of the lookup tables. These days, I would be much more open to using that type of system as I would use my VTT(MapTool) to program all of the look ups and record keeping for me(though that in itself would be a massive undertaking!) I use my computer for rolling instead of real dice almost exclusively for the speed it brings both as a player and GM.

mearrin69
08-29-2011, 11:09 AM
I'll admit it! I have a regular group (Sundays) that plays mostly Pathfinder, using Paizo's Golarion campaign setting. Formerly we used D&D 3.5 and, before I joined, I'm pretty sure the same folks have been playing all of the editions since 1e in various combinations (30+ years I guess). We also mix it up with GURPS and other game systems from time to time. I play with a different group on Mondays and it's a mix of genres and systems including stuff like: Deadlands, Firefly (using Deadlands), Gamma World, Call of Cthulhu (D20 and CoC and, soon, Gumshoe), and Star Wars (Saga).

I'm not stuck on any one fantasy setting but I like Golarion well enough. I do also like Eberron (I've only run one game in it) and Dark Sun (never played but my co-DM is a big fan and I've been trying to get her to run something there). Some of the other old TSR settings are interesting to me as well, especially Ravenloft. Truthfully, though, I prefer sci-fi...especially post-apocalyptic...to fantasy. I don't get to play a lot of it but we try to insert it into the schedule whenever we can. I've got plans to run a Star Trek game at some point after we finish our current long-running fantasy campaign I've been running (Paizo's Rise of the Runelords, we're on the last book).

We play a lot of D20 but it's definitely not my favorite system. I like GURPS best, I suppose, with a nod to Deadlands if it happens to match the feel of the game (it worked super awesomely for Firefly).
M

tilt
08-29-2011, 11:25 AM
lots of roleplayers in here - myself I've been playing for 31 years now, started out with D&D, skipped AD&D but picked it up again when WotC took over. In the years inbetween I've played tons of systems, incl. Rolemaster, James Bond, Shadowrun, Warhammer the rpg, Paranoia, Star Wars, Star Trek, Traveller, Vampire, Magician, Gurps, Call of Cthulhu, Villains & Vigilantes - and I have perhaps a dozen games on the shelf that I never got around to playing.

Amongst my non D&D favorites were:
Rolemaster: Love the rules and our group spent a minimum of lookups as everybody had their own tables ready - I miss the complexity of the skill system when I use skills in 4e D&D.
James Bond: Gotta love the secret Agent stuff - however it works best with one or two players. Loved Hero Points.
Paranoia: Just plain fun to watch your players going for each others throats once in a while - and love the whacky world and the fact a gamesession can just be about repairing a vending machine and still churn out a good many dead players. ;)
Villains & Vigilantes: The character creation system was very unbalanced, but I loved the way the rules incorporated beating each others with cars and flying through walls when hit :)

My fav settings are probably forgotten realms, and I also liked the setting from Warhammer the rpg (fantasy), however, most of the games I played have been in home made worlds :)

Beoner
08-29-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm a roleplayer, in fact RPG is my favorite game ever.

I play usually systems d20 based, like D&D, but I don't like much the 4th edition. I've played some Brazilian RPG as well (which you probably don't know, but I'll say the name anyway), as the 3D&t, Tormenta and now I'm playing a system (called Old Dragon) that is based on the old D&D and AD&D, very good btw.

Usually I don't play as a player, but as a DM (and I love to be a DM), that was the main reason for starting making maps actually, as my group prefer to play on a world we built together.

I still want to play Call of Cthulhu, and Star Wars, just need a group and books for this.

arsheesh
08-29-2011, 02:20 PM
I've been playing and DMing for several years now, but my gaming experience has been fairly limited, both in terms of the systems and the settings I've tried. As far as settings, I've had brief excursions into Greyhawk (which didn't really do it for me) and Forgotten Realms (which intrigued me quite a bit), and have played more extensively in Golarian (which you can't beat in terms of depth). Likewise, I've really only played 3.5e and Pathfinder for any length of time, though I've had some brief encounters with Paladium, Rifts, 2e, 4e (which I hated) and Vampire.

As far as what I enjoy, I actually prefer low to mid fantasy/magic settings (e.g. Middle Earth) and a modified version of D20 called E6 that caps level advancement at 6th level. This effectively prevents PCs from transcending the bounds of the human to ascend to the superhuman, and thus better fits with a low to mid fantasy/magic setting.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

MadCartographer
08-29-2011, 02:57 PM
I'm a "GAMER" of any game. I've been playing for about 30+ years now.

Games include:
Tactics II (My 1st "war game" and got me to play other games)
D&D in various forms. I have played in Greyhawk but prefer Forgotten Realms (I love to play the odd characters like Wemics, Centaurs, Minotaurs and Stingers etc)
BattleTech in various forms, Mechwarrior, etc...
Traveller
Champions
I'd like to try Star Trek and StarMada, they both seem very nice, good rulesets from what I have read on them so far.

I'm VERY much a computer geek, so for many years I have looked into play all my games in my PC. I use d20Pro exclusively. And HeroLab to create all my characters.

If it's gaming, I'm IN.

I also want to play Flames of War VERY badly, I love WWI.

Master TMO
08-29-2011, 03:17 PM
I am a gamer. Unfortunately since moving to this small town 4 years ago, I haven't found anyone local with the time or interest in playing anything. And online gaming just isn't quite the same thing. It's still fun, but has less of the social aspect of actually meeting and talking to other people.

bartmoss
08-29-2011, 03:26 PM
I've been a gamer for over twenty years, but I do not play that much these days. So instead I just build worlds.

Gamerprinter
08-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I've been playing various editions of D&D (Pathfinder now) for the last 33 years. And lucky for me, my current gaming group has been the same one since 1987 - lost one member through an accident, but gained 4 more in the last 3 years. Of course since my evening job is developing settings and adventures for Pathfinder, I get to play all week long - sort of...

3 of us switch the GM role every couple of months, so we don't get burned out.

There are plenty of members who are fantasy authors, GIS pros and others who aren't gamers at all. Though I'd hazard to guess most members are RPG gamers.

Vorhees
08-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Big RPGer here, 29 years with the pen and Paper [im 38 and gamed since i was 10] started with Red Box DnD but the first campaign i ran was inspired by steve jackson & ian Livingstons Warlock of Firetop Mountain and the world source book they did Titan. Played heavy through teens at school and then found 2 regular groups , one ran Rolemaster and the Other DnD. also have played Carwars as an RPG , Robotech , Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Top Secret [this was big at High School] But DnD is my all time. Have a great group now that has been together for 8 years now playing every Friday bar a few in that time, we mainly play Dragonlance but also Forgotten Realms. play alot of 3.5 but we still play 2nd edition Ad&d the most. My wife is very understanding and has played in many a campaign, my daughter has tried but its not for her but my son has been playing on and of with us since he was about 7 , he is now 12 and is a great RPer, he even RPs a Gnome on World of Warcraft, i too am on an RP realm in WoW. so yer MASSIVE RPGer HERE. :)

EDIT: Fantastic to read about other RPers here, the Experiance every one brings to the tables is outstanding

eViLe_eAgLe
08-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Sadly I have only experienced web RP's. Not any real group or such. Heck, not even a VVT group.

Jaxilon
08-30-2011, 12:37 AM
RPGing for around 30 years. My best friend told me about this game he played briefly with some kid in one of his classes and he wound up being swallowed by the floor. I was confused, "What? How's that work?" and there I went. Started out buying the DnD Basic boxed set and those old soap looking dice that came with it :) Played that every time we had a chance. Started gradually moving into the Advanced stuff but then switched over to Boot Hill, Top Secret, Gamma World and Star Frontiers. There were others like Paranoia but then I found GURPS where I could play whatever genre I wanted and that was it.

We used to take turns playing GM but it seems like I was always more willing to put in the time building the worlds so I tended towards being the GM more and more. I always loved the fantasy genre but really wanted to do a space universe. I started gathering the source books for this and realized that i was going to have to create tons of planets just to fill the universe and who knew if they would ever even visit them? Combine that with the fact that as we got older we just didn't have as much time to play around I ended up reducing it down to a single planet and creating my own mish-mash of futuristic post apocalyptic fantasy world. I always liked fantasy but I want it to have a scientific under layer for why that dude with the staff can create a shield around himself or why that guy can fling a fireball (It's more like a wet grenade). Anyway I know you where not asking for our self made worlds so I'll drop it there.

Every now and then we play some Star Wars (D20 I think) in which I get to be a player. I think I prefer to be the Game Master however. I just wish we got to play more than a couple times a year.

Clercon
08-30-2011, 01:16 AM
I started to play RPG's in the '80s when the first swedish game was released (Drakar och Demoner (Dragons and demons in english)) and continued to play for about ten years. I mostly played different swedish games but also tried to play in the warhammer fantasy world as well. Unfortunately my group split because of a lot of different reasons so nowadays I'm creating worlds instead. But me and my brother are going to pick it up with my 9 year old son. So hopefully there will be a game close to christmas :)

Eilathen
08-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Cool, a lot of gamers on here. I kind of expected that there are some of us around :D

It seems DnD is still the Master of rules, at least sales-wise. I started with DSA (Das schwarze Auge) a long time ago, when the english language was not at my disposal. We then switched to ADnD 2nd Ed. (also in german) and played that almost exclusively for a long time. After I learned english in school, i started to look around for other mechanics and settings and found tons of it on the english market (that was like the treasure-cave of an old wyrm for me :D ). Since then i tried out a lot of different settings and mechanics and as mentioned in the OP i love dicepool best for resolution. Nowadays i tinker with settings and mechanics on my own but so far i haven't found "my perfect system" .
I am a total fantasy nut. Sci Fi somehow never clicked for me, at least not pure sci fi. We tried some Star Wars, and i love the setting, but imho SW is more fantasy than Sci Fi anyway...so there you have it :D

If i could map as well (electronically) as some of you, I'd map a lot more, i guess...but alas i am not very talented with all those softwares (also, too lazy to truly sit down and really really learn one of those softwares).

Anyway, fortunately, i have found this place here and many of you are very generous people so i was allowed to steal some maps and brushes for my own uses. Thanks for that!

Oh and if you want to talk about your homemade setting, go on. I always like to hear about settings and their histories (if you have it on here or somewhere else on the i-net, feel free to link to it, so that we can take a look).

Gamerprinter
08-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Cool, a lot of gamers on here. I kind of expected that there are some of us around :D

It seems DnD is still the Master of rules, at least sales-wise...

There's some suggestions/evidence that Paizo might be leading sales-wise with Pathfinder over DnD, at least based on 2 quarters of the ICv2 report. (While this report is only from hobby store channel rather than the whole market.) We can't really say that WotC is still on top. Also several major hobby stores around the US claim similar results separate from the report - though this too is not conclusive. Although if WotC is not the sales leader, they certainly are sitting in a strong number 2 position.

Many industry bloggers, and Paizo itself was touting Pathfinder as the industry leading RPG, at least during Gen Con 2011.

GP

PS: my homebrew setting is a released product in the form of a 3 part introductory mini-campaign, as well as several supplements for the Pathfinder RPG, as an imprint publication under Rite Publishing. Many of my more recent maps, including this month's challenge entry is for use in that setting - Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story (http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/r/ritePublishing/pathfinderRPG/kaidan) - think a cross between Oriental Adventures and Ravenloft (not exactly, but close.)

jfrazierjr
08-30-2011, 12:33 PM
You might want to give Savage Worlds a try. while it is not a dice pool, the rules are fairly simple plus the rules require no changes to move from one genre to another(in terms of base mechanics). The things that change are equipment and some skills. There is also a free test drive pdf on their site so you can get a good overview of the game before you purchase(and even then, the base rule book is only $10..settings rule books cost more but are not strictly required)

Gamerprinter
08-30-2011, 12:39 PM
You might want to give Savage Worlds a try. while it is not a dice pool, the rules are fairly simple plus the rules require no changes to move from one genre to another(in terms of base mechanics). The things that change are equipment and some skills. There is also a free test drive pdf on their site so you can get a good overview of the game before you purchase(and even then, the base rule book is only $10..settings rule books cost more but are not strictly required)

I'm doing some commission work for Savage Mojo Games, that's my only connection to Savage Worlds - though no guarantee that I'd actually play. I'm not looking for another fantasy RPG, my current game works fine for my needs.

jfrazierjr
08-30-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm doing some commission work for Savage Mojo Games, that's my only connection to Savage Worlds - though no guarantee that I'd actually play. I'm not looking for another fantasy RPG, my current game works fine for my needs.

Sorry I did not specify GP.. my reply was for the original poster(Eilathen) since he said he has not found his "perfect" system as of yet.

Steel General
08-31-2011, 08:16 AM
Played various versions of D&D, Rolemaster & a few others from junior high right thru until I got married. No time for them now unfortunately.

We tried Powers & Perils in college, I think it had potential, but never really seemed to catch on.

Eilathen
08-31-2011, 08:34 AM
You might want to give Savage Worlds a try.

Thanks for the tip...BUT (be warned, rant ahead ;) )

...as a mathematically inclined person, SW just rubs me the wrong way...how can a gamedesigner not take a look at his distribution?! It just baffles me. For example, on the d4, which in SW is a die for weaker abilties (in fact, for the weakest ability you can have), your chance of getting a 5 is higher than with the "better" d6 or any other higher die. That's just...argh!
On top of that (which is kind of a un-sell me all on its own), it also uses a die step system, which i really dislike.

I think i will have to build my own system to truly get what i want. The question is, will i ever get around to doing that? :D In the end, some of the sytems i mentioned are close enough to my sweet-spot so that all the work of building an own system seems kind of overkill.

On that note, i said i like FATE, which is very hack-able...and yesterday, i started reading the Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies (which uses the PDQ system, tweaked for swashbuckling heroic play) and i have to say i really like it so far. Kind of like FATE, the system is very evocative but it is simpler than FATE. Might need to give this a try.

Wannabehero
08-31-2011, 09:56 AM
I am also a PnP RPGer, have been for 17 years now.

We have a group that gets together more-or-less monthly to play primarily Pathfinder, though we occasionally foray into other games as well, such as Shadowrun, WoD D20, Rifts, and even pull out some 'legacy' games from time to time such as Mutant Chronicles or 1st ed D&D. We also cycle DM/GM's as well to prevent burnout.

It's a great past time.

NeonKnight
08-31-2011, 11:08 AM
I am a gamer through and through. STarted with Greyhawk, migrated to Forgetten Realms, back to Greyhawk, and have also played games such as: Rifts, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, VIllans & Vigilliants CHAMPIONS, TOP SECRET & TOP SECRET SI, GAMMA WORLD (Original), and STAR FRONTIERS (Original). Currently we are playing a PEN & PAPER version of FALLOUT and I would LOVE to find a Pen & Paper system for the MASS EFFECT

Arandil
08-31-2011, 06:33 PM
Present! Middle Earth, Harn and Hyboria got me into this. I also recall some ridiculously detailed setting for Powers & Perils I think. I respect Glorantha but had a bad formative experience with Ducks; I should probably give it another chance. Always wanted to see a really tricked out map of the Young Kingdoms.

Alex
08-31-2011, 07:21 PM
I roleplay! I like it, when there are a lot of people playing of course :)

I have only recently (last month) started Roleplaying, so I don't know so much about it. I really love writing, so its fun for me. I've only roleplayed A Song of Ice and Fire as one of the houses set against another for the Iron Throne. I would have to say my settings, if I understand what that is, is fantasy-adventure. I am probably wrong about that though xD

Needamedic
08-31-2011, 09:24 PM
I remember seeing the build up ads for D&D in the comics I was reading. I waited until the book store got it in and bought it right up. I was cleaning up from a beach party we had at Lake Geneva in Wisconsin at my Uncle's house and Gary Gygax came by walking his dog. I was young and didn't even know who he was until later. He asked me if I was interested in games somewhere along our conversation and I brought up D&D. He spoke as though he PLAYED it, and I thought that was strange. For a while I always thought it was weird that this older guy was talking to me about D&D. Then I saw a picture of him and freaked out. I will never forget that day.

As for systems. I won't ever move past AD&D 2E as far as D&D. I have played GURPS. Judging by the the amount of people who play Pathfinder here and who I meet in the flesh, I may try it out.

Settings: Forgotten Realms and anything generated by Needamedic through the years.

sigurdbjohansson
09-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Checking in! I think I've always been a gamer at heart. Started out with making my own rules for battling with armymen with my friends at, I think, age 8 or 9. My first run in with a "real" pnp rpg was James Bond at age 12, although we didn't quite get the rules (being Norwegian, and all the rules were in English), but it was still fun.
About the same time I bought myself Elfquest the rpg, and had brief encounters with Twilight 2000, Shadowrun, Top Secret, Star Wars, Robotech and ADnD, before a friend of mine bought himself Warhammer FRPG, which we played quite some while alongside Cyberpunk 2020, which I got myself after reading an article about it in Dragon. Still get the same weird feeling when I read that article again. This we played alot.
Until I found an old "left-behind" copy of GURPS 3E at my house. A friend and me had tried out the play by numbers adventure in the back, and he had forgotten it at my place. We tried it a couple of times, and we were all very hooked on this game where you could be ANYTHING! I still play GURPS. Switched to 4E when that came out, and haven't looked back. I'm currently running three GURPS campaigns. My own fantasy homebrew, GURPS Fallout, and a Lego space-opera still in development.
I also play Pathfinder, having switched from DnD when that awful, smelly thing called 4th Edition came out.....
Hmmmmm, other rpgames I've played include Paranoia, Call of Cthulhu, Vampire, Alma Mater (a strange indie high-school(?) setting), and MERP.
So, as you might get, my favorite system is GURPS, with Call of Cthulhu and Vampire on second and third.

I also play Magic TG, both Warhammer and Warhammer 40k, and everything else I can get my hands on.... I'm a gamer throughandthrough, and I think my gf would be happier if I didn't talk AND walk RPG.......

My favorite settings have to be Warhammer, Forgotten Realms, and Call of Cthulhu, the two former because of their long history and many many years of development. Cthulhu, beacuse[sic] of horror-filled dark-lit scary sessions...

Thanks.......

Larb
09-03-2011, 06:17 PM
I also roleplay. Mostly D&D (3e mainly but occasionally 4e, and the IK and Eberron settings primarily). I also play Shadowrun and Vampire and I've briefly played many other systems. And I run L5R a lot, as well as a weird setting of my own that uses the Shadowrun system and some very short D&D campaigns (basically single adventures for people who need the occasional RP fix but can't commit to long-term games).

As a result of that I make a lot of maps for RPGs, especially if it's a game I am personally running. It lets me put my skills to use too! But I also have a degree in Creative Writing and Linguistics and I have been working on a novel forever so I've got lots of maps and artwork I've done for that particular world. As well as all kinds of other random things I've done, a few of which occasionally get turned into RP games or inspire them.

Piscivorous
09-07-2011, 09:14 PM
I got the original White Box D&D [still have it] for Christmas 1974. I picked up add-ons like Eldritch Wizardry and Blackmoor when they came out. I've played AD&D - 3.5 and have a steady every other Sunday group of 40 year olds. I have played Traveller, Boot Hill, Top Secret, Champions and Gamma World.

One of the boons of living in the SF Bay Area is that after a married couple in our group moved away, we put an add out at the local game store and had 142 unique hits in a week.

I've been using FM8 and PS to make maps. I have gotten a few compliments, but am really wondering if the effort is worth it. Bastards don't care as long as they can smash things and grab fat loots.

I just picked up CC3/CD3. I also have some roof/building tutorials I picked up for Gimp.

Slowly, but surely.

Overlookedfile
10-27-2011, 11:54 AM
My mother introduced me to 1st Edition D&D when I was about ten (I'm 22 now). Now, my preferred setting is Warhammer Fantasy. I've just begun my first attempt at GMing a few weeks ago and the plan is to meet every Sunday as schedules permit. I've got a small group (4 players, 1 of which is my husband) and I'm running a storyline of my own making. I don't by any means consider myself an architect or cartographer, and my art skills are limited primarily to organically shaped things (ie. people, animals, trees, etc). I can't draw straight lines, boxes, perfect circles, or anything mechanical, sadly. At least, I can't draw those things to my satisfaction.

My husband starting gaming back in the late 80's when he was in high school and for a short while thereafter. He fell out of it when his group split and work demanded more of his time. We got married in 2009 and I pulled him back into the gaming world as a means of giving us a hobby we could do together.

While I enjoy roleplaying as a player, the allure of being the GM, for me at least, stems from my early childhood literature - the Redwall Series by Brian Jacques. The way those adventures read, and played out, and how no two were ever quite alike even though they all took place in the same locations (mostly): that's what really got me hyped about reading/writing and consequently roleplay just seemed a natural extension of that for me.

Sorry for the rant, but thought that might explain a few things. LoL. Anyway, like most GM's (or aspiring ones) I was drawn here by the need for maps that are at least a little better than chicken scratch. I'm hoping to learn the skills necessary for making those maps myself, of course.

For my maps, btw, I used to use Paintshop Pro, but no longer having that program I'm now going to be attempting them in GIMP.

negative2pi
11-10-2011, 10:46 PM
I was originally hooked by Judges Guild CSIO (the maps) playing AD&D. Left for 20 years as life got busy, and have just returned to 3.5 in the last couple of years, GMing for my kids and their friends. Lots of fun.

Enforcer84
11-11-2011, 02:49 AM
Guilty. Playing in a Golarian Pathfinder game on Fantasy Grounds and might be attempting to run a Warcraft based Pathfinder game...using maptools? Not sure.

Lukc
11-11-2011, 04:45 AM
Heh, didn't notice this thread before.

I'm a roleplayer too, started with AD&D 2nd edition and have been GMing for, oh, about 16 years now. Nowadays we mostly roleplay our D&D spin-off hack-and-slash home-brew old-school d20 with a system we call BASS (bloody adventures of sword and sorcery) ... because the acronym would have been much worse if it had just been adventures of sword and sorcery. And also, bass is a pretty tasty fish and besides GMing I also fly fish for a hobby.

Sample house rule, to give you some flavour: if you tear off an enemy's limb you may attack it with its limb as a free attack.

Neraagile
11-12-2011, 06:13 AM
I've been role playing just about a third of my life by now. My system of choice being Ars Magica.

anstett
11-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Just noticed this thread in the ticker and will put in a plug for my own game.

We recently passed the 850th weekly game session for my campaign (now over 400 of them being online sessions) over the past 18+ years.

Always looking for good roleplayers, pop over and take a look.

BOB

bardsandsages
11-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Pretty hardcore gamer here, though I normally get stuck DMing because nobody else wants to do it, though they insist that it is because I am so good at it. :) Mostly 3.5/OGL, White Wolf Storyteller system, and my own Karma Roleplaying System. Have also played Rifts and BESM games in the past.

My players are all sufficiently paranoid that they all make sure that their character have the swim skill, because they know at some point they will end up on a boat...and I will sink it. I have this thing about sinking boats. Just seems like something that has to happen at some point. :P There will also, at some point, be kobolds. Because I love kobolds. The kobolds, however, are generally NOT the reason the boat sinks.

paulbhartzog
11-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Gamed a lot in my twenties. It ended because everyone ran out of time as they got older. I'm trying to get my 10 yr old into it. :-)

We played AD&D of course, and a great game called Rifts, from Palladium.

As DM, I made worlds and plotlines. Now I still do that, but for fiction-writing instead of gaming.

Revock
12-02-2011, 06:36 PM
:( Gee since I just play CRPG I'm out even though i would play PnP D&D if i could, I am trying to learn Maptools to get my best NWN/NWN2 buddy from New york to teach me PnP style, He's a bud i met while hosting my NWN1 server and now he DM's on The Known Lands, a ppopular NWN2 server. Don't discount us CRPGers, not everyone lives somewhere you don't get stoned for being a nerd. :)

Lukc
12-02-2011, 06:54 PM
I know a lot of nerds who get stoned ...

Seeria
12-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Never done the pen and paper roleplaying, for some reason I missed that experience early in life despite my constant live roleplaying with friends in the woods. It amazes me considering how old I am and how much fantasy has played a role in my life and career. To this date I still have not played D&D. I do, however, roleplay in various online games now days. Guess that doesn't count?

tilt
12-03-2011, 02:40 AM
not quite the same as good-ol-pen-n-paper, but everything counts (in small amounts) - have 1-2 games a month ... remember the good ol days where I played everyday :)

Elzevir
12-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Like most of you, I have been in AD&D in my university years, but i began with mostly the 2-kinds of game that had "good" reputation in France in the 90's : the Rifts Multiverse (too much of giant-glittering-robots-vs-magic-one-eyed-monsters, in my opinion) and Vampire : the Masquerade (you know, the sort of vampire that do not SPARKLE). I also played many board games, like Space Crusade and Warhammer 40k, but am really a pen and paper roleplayer.

Mapping has always been involved because i always found it easier to give players a visual for their moves (and, later, for long-distances travels). In the late 90's, i made a game of my own because the others lacked the "adventure" spirit i was seeking. All my maps since this time are dedicated to this game, even if i don't play anymore (lacking of players...). It has become a good support for writing my novels, now.

As i think of it, many cartographers are roleplayers, but how many cartographers-roleplayers are also writers (or just pretend to be, like me) ?

Lukc
12-05-2011, 02:14 AM
I'm no writer, honestly. I like inventing ideas and concepts, but I'm too lazy at writing.

tilt
12-05-2011, 02:43 AM
yep, writing on a book at the moment actually :)

Gerenan
12-08-2011, 09:06 AM
I must admit, I haven't read all the posts in this thread. I read the first and skimmed through some of the others.

But I can say that I am a role-player. And a proud one (ain't we all =P). I'm even able to live on this fantastic hobby.

I've played RPGs since I was 6 years old, but started game mastering at the age of 9 and have played ever since. I started to create my world Nianze at the age of 11. This though, as one would expect was quite a bad world xD, so I renovated it the summer of 2004. The concepts changed and I transferred - or rather translated - the played out events of the previous world to this, smaller more manageable world, and made it into the prophecy which everything revolves around.

My players (the same since 2003, with some dropouts and some new additions), have been with me and helped me develop the rule-system as well as some of the history they've created with me as their game master. In 2006, I managed to get this world building project to become a profit and role-playing became something more than a hobby. Me and my players have taken role-playing to a depth which many others in our city and contact thinks is to exaggerate role-playing. We play about 2 to 3 times a week regularly and continues to develop the world.

No, pen and paper RPG is my life and probably will continue like that. =)

Feadel
12-20-2011, 03:10 AM
Started with D&D (Blue Box) back in the 70's. Played everything released by TSR in the 80's. GURPS, Traveller (pre 3rd), White Wold (pre world of dimness) and I collected just about everything I could get my hands on. I referred to myself as a "World Collector" more than once in the 80' and 90's. These days my wife and I play Anime-esque games like Maid, BESM (and variants), and sometimes GURPS. I have Boxes of maps from Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Dragonlance, Spelljammer, and even Harn. Merp/Rolemaster I collected but never really had a chance to actually play. Online MMO's and CRPG's have taken the forefront in my gaming (Elder Scrolls and LotRo especially). Now that I have a decent mapping program and the background (CAD) to not be utterly lost, things are looking up.
(Forgot to mention Bubblegum Crisis, Cyberpunk 2020 and Cyber Generation which were a major portion of my early 2k gaming. Still used plenty of maps.)

afters
12-20-2011, 08:21 AM
I've been involved in every type of roleplaying you can probably think of. Of course, I've played the classic RPG video games like Final Fantasy religiously in the past, been a big MMO player back in the day with Ultima Online and more recently with Atlantica Online until I quit yesterday. I'm probably going to be getting into Star Wars: The Old Republic when my finances allow :P

But I've also been involved in some tabletop RPG such as Dungeons & Dragons and some geofiction-style RP at The Otherworld Project (http://www.otherworldproject.com). I've also enjoyed creating RPGs in the past, which is one of things that brought me to this site.

Wormivich
12-24-2011, 01:11 AM
Mostly D&D and WoD for me, but I tend to move across the country every couple of years - so finding groups has been a bit of a pain. Recently moved back to where an old group was, and so I am now designing a campaign for us to start again. Hence me finding this place . . .

maxsdaddy
12-28-2011, 09:46 PM
I've been roleplaying since the late 70's-early 80's. I don't remember what version of D&D we used at the time, but my friends and I did start a club in our high school and I recently found a picture of the club in an old yearbook that made me
rotfl. The dm at the time poured a lot of effort into the game and set up a great gaming area in his parent's basement. It was the first time any of us had used miniatures (old school metal ones). That gaming experience has stuck with me all the years since. I currently run my own campaign using D&D 4e, but will probably backtrack a little and incorporate some of the d20 rules.

Bogie
12-29-2011, 01:24 AM
Started with the Blue Box D&D set that my wife gave me for Christmas in 1979, and have been playing ever since. Mostly 1st and 2nd ed AD&D. Past 3 years we have been playing 2nd ed Spelljammer.

Piscivorous
12-29-2011, 02:58 AM
It was the first time any of us had used miniatures (old school metal ones).

I still only buy and paint old school metal minis. Although I do use plastics when DMing at a friend's house, I have an affinity for the weight. I also seem to get better paint jobs out of metals.

LoreSlinger
12-29-2011, 06:11 AM
I haven't had much time since the birth of my son a little over a year ago, but I have a big trunk filled with all the Dark Sun adventures and books. Picked up some of the 4th Ed. vinyl maps and books also through the months. One of these days I'll get back to them.

xerhino
01-01-2012, 03:02 PM
It might have been quicker to ask who here was *not* a gamer, but then they would simply have hidden. :-) I started FRPGs and board games in high school and am still actively playing in my 40s. I've been working on a map for my world and this is a great site for inspiration. Heroic fantasy is my favorite genre, but I enjoy all the gernes as long as there are good friends playing. Like many others here, my current system is Pathfinder.

MHAlthauser
01-04-2012, 09:31 AM
I've been gaming since high school.

As far as settings go, I really like Privateer Press' Iron Kingdoms setting, because it's really well fleshed out and has a good mix of magic and mechanika. The World Guide that they put out a few years ago for the D&D 3.5 ruleset was 400 pages of locations and information, and that's pretty hard to beat.
I also like Shadowrun for the very dystopian cyberpunk element, and have recently received the Mouse Guard RPG box set for Christmas, and I'm eager to DM some games in that system.

rmvinas
04-13-2012, 10:47 AM
I am a role player for 7 years. i play with my friends on holidays, we usually play vampire (WoD) and make mods of the D10 system, now i`m preparing a warcraft II D10 game and im drawing maps of Draenor before the explosion of the Dark Portal. i know, it is too freak xDD

Lukc
04-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Friday night ... rain, 100 minutes till we start role-playing, some stuff to still finish at the office, good wine and ham in the cellar ... good thing I did all my DMing prep work three months ago! :D

Fipps
04-18-2012, 02:26 PM
I'm something of a 'young' gamer. I started with DnD 3.0 in college. (About 10 years ago) I've since experienced most tabletope rpg systems avaialable. I still have a fondness for the fantasy settings that were my introduction to role-playing. Give me a dragon to slay any day.

Gidde
04-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Been playing D&D with various family members for 15 years or so :) We play 4.0 now, but we've played everything from 2e up!

Panzymoon
04-18-2012, 03:54 PM
I've been role playing since the concept was invented, pretty much true :blush: I was the first female gamer in my area of Seattle and the only one that I knew for years. I've player all versions of D&D, Ars Magica, Vampire:The Masquerade, Shadowrun, 7th Sea, Planescape and Pathfinder. I detest 4E, it just really lost in the appeal department. I so far, enjoy Pathfinder the most and am sticking with it for now.

I love anything from low level fantasy, gritty fantasy, horror fantasy to serious high fantasy. I love pirate and vampire themed games as well. Except for some years playing Vampire: The Masquerade in modern Chicago, Boston and New Orleans, I'm not into modern gaming.

I'm currently using the Pathfinder system on a modified Golarion part of the time and on one of my own world part of the time. I have been a home brew world creator for years and enjoy having creative freedom to do what ever I feel like doing without players screaming that it isn't canon :P I'm a heavy detail gamer and GM and do a lot of handouts, pics and local lore, language and flavor. We are currently playing in the Western Ustalav/Hungry Mountains/Lastwall area sussing out what the Whispering Way is up to and unintentionally getting involved in the beginnings of a possible war for the throne in Ustalav. We just finished a rather creepy episode that I dubbed, rather un-creatively, "The Well of Shadows" and are now running from a very angry group of wizards (who want our souls, we think) disguised as Varisian wanderers and trying to cross the dangerous border lands on the edge of Vyrlich, past Orc country to get help from Lastwall against agents of the Whispering Way etc. etc. . :D Yeah, I'm pretty much a gamer for life.

Lukc
04-18-2012, 04:50 PM
"Ustalav" translates, approximately, from my language as "She rose/stood up into" (Literally spelled "Vstala v" but an initial "v" is pronounced as "u")

Panzymoon
04-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Lukc ., I wish that I could claim the name, but it belongs to Paizo's world Golarion. I love the meaning in your language tho' , you are in Slovenia? It's beautiful language. Ustalav is a land that suffered long under an undead tyrant and has never quite shaken off the dark and creepy remnants of that time. It's being a lot of fun to play there.

Mateus090985
04-18-2012, 05:32 PM
I do my maps because of my RPG games =). I only GM GURPS 4th Ed, but setting and styles have a great number (all of them homebrew). In ther moment I am GMing a Dungeon Fantasy game in my setting of Panorica.

Lukc
04-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Lukc ., I wish that I could claim the name, but it belongs to Paizo's world Golarion. I love the meaning in your language tho' , you are in Slovenia? It's beautiful language. Ustalav is a land that suffered long under an undead tyrant and has never quite shaken off the dark and creepy remnants of that time. It's being a lot of fun to play there.

Well, beautiful, I don't know ... but it's definitely complicated! :)
(No, lep, ne vem ... je pa gotovo zapleten! :S)

I never could play in premade settings ... though I might try it some time.

Joshua
04-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Give me a dragon to slay any day.

Give me a dragon to PLAY any day! >:D

arsheesh
04-18-2012, 08:00 PM
A couple of commissions aside, my maps were pretty much all done for my homebrew campaign setting Age of Legends (a link to which is in my sig). Of course, now that I'm in a PhD I haven't found time to scratch that role playing itch. But I've acquired a love of mapping that keeps me tinkering with map designs even without the motivation to map out my campaign world.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

babayaya
04-18-2012, 11:38 PM
So let's begin..........
I've been DM for about 30 years now, beginning with D&D red box and then AD&D... followed Runequest, Merp, vampire, cyberpunk, shadowrun, rolemaster, dangerous journeys, star wars and some french games that were not translated (guildes, rève de dragon...).
Anyway since I had a building design training, I quickly knew how to use chinese ink and Rotrings...
and it took some time but I finally decided to draw all my maps...
This world, named Orfen Is 26 years old now, and I've made several long/short campaigns in it. mastering it in lots of different RPG systems.
And 5 years ago I decided to master Midnight setting... one of the best commercial world I ever met...
The last game I met is a french one (i don't know if there is any translation of it) named CAPHARNAUM, a middle oriental based rpg.
Since we founded a rpg club in 1984 we had the possibility to play tons of games and styles......
But the one we explored the most was DD 3.5 : Forgotten realms, Conan, A game of throne, Greyhawk, Midnight, Archipels, scrared lands, penumbra, ravenloft, dark sun, birthright, L5R and other home mades (like mine).
So, by the way if some people here needs some handhelps for anything.........

Otherwise, I play miniatures some time, boardgames, card games, and I had accounts on some mmorpg's.
for miniatures I love painting, especially oil paints......

TheSauce
05-06-2012, 12:45 AM
Aye, long time rp'er here.

I am actually in the process of putting together a campaign at the moment, using GURPS 4th edition rules. It is a steampunk meets magic style world, with a darker Victorian/Industrial Revolution flair to it. I was directed here because in the rpg group that I am in, I was asking about maps and making them. Voila! Now to just start working on it, heh.

Before that, I have play many many games...including D&D, Shadowrun, Call of Cthulu, Cyberpunk 2020, Iron Kingdoms (huge love for this world), and World of Darkness. Of course there are other games out there that I love, but that is a pretty decent list. Er, and they happen to be the books sitting on my desk at the same time.
I do a bit of board gaming, and even some table-top wargaming as well (Yep, Warmachine and Hordes), but I more enjoy the painting aspect than the playing.

tobaris
07-06-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm a big gamer, tabletop rpgs are my big hobby, I play more systems than I could easily list. but among them pathfinder, 3.5, GURPS, d20modern, and whitewolf.

Seraphine_Harmonium
07-06-2012, 10:15 PM
I am! I used to play D&D all the time. Mostly 3e, but I've played in every edition at least once. I have also DMed games in Pathfinder, and the completely unrelated system NEMESIS. I don't get to play nearly as much as I want to. I use the excuse that, as an actor, the practice telling stories and improvising is useful, but really I just want to play games :-P

s0meguy
07-07-2012, 05:41 AM
I wonder how exactly role playing works for you guys. I envision roleplaying as writing stories from the perspective of characters in the world that I created, but you guys mostly seem to use systems like DnD and GRUPS, aren't those roleplaying systems that work by controlling characters with dice rolls or something?

Niedfaru
07-07-2012, 06:30 AM
I wonder how exactly role playing works for you guys. I envision roleplaying as writing stories from the perspective of characters in the world that I created, but you guys mostly seem to use systems like DnD and GRUPS, aren't those roleplaying systems that work by controlling characters with dice rolls or something?

A Roleplaying Game is a bit more than just roleplaying: something to do with the extraordinary polysemy of the word play. First of all, I should note that your notion of what constitutes RP is missing a key element (IMO): it needs to be collaborative. Writing stories setting in your own world is just writing speculative fiction unless you do it in a group and pass the narrative back and forth in a dynamic fashion. The idea of game systems is to facilitate that process. The main way it does so it to create a mechanic for resolving conflicts. When two characters come to blows, you could just narrate what happens, but what if both players want their character to win? That's when the dice (or cards or whatever other conflict resolution mechanic you favour) come in.

There are varying levels of complexity in RPGs, depending which kind of gaming the system writer prefers. There are three accepted baselines: narrativisim, simulationism and gamism. The names are more or less self-explanatory.

Narrativist games put the story first and use mechanics that make each characters actions meaningful to a collaborative narrative.

Simulationist games put the world first. Having a cool story is, according to this school of thought, no good if you compromise the integrity of the world. These kinds of games have endless rules for simulating gravity and hydrology and magic spells and swordfighting and fishing and anything else the writers didn't forget to include. Most traditional RPGs are heavily in this category, even if they have roots in others.

Gamism says simply "Hey guys, put your stories and your worlds aside already! I'm trying to play a game here!" These games usually focus on ways to make the game more interactive. These games usually function more like computer games or board games.

There is really no right or wrong way to play, and most games have elements from all three categories. These are really just philosophies that help writers figure out how to write their system, and how they want it to interact with actual gameplay.

If you want to learn more about this kind of thing, this article (http://www.indie-rpgs.com/_articles/system_does_matter.html) is a great read. There is also some reluctance among some gamers to accept this theory (known as GNS theory), as you can see here (http://web.archive.org/web/20050828100709/http://www.freeroleplay.org/2003_11_01_archive.php).

I'm sure others will have refinements and alterations to what I've said, but I hope this was useful as a starting point. :)

heffnerc1
07-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Excellent post Niedfaru. I've been working on my own D&D 3.5-offshoot RPG system for 5+ years, and because of your post and the one that you linked to at The Forge, I now understand why I've been working so long. I didn't understand that my game design problems weren't issues with the game itself, but issues with determining which design philosophy to decide on (without being aware that Narrative and Gamist modes existed. I thought only Simulationism existed since that's how 3.5 was designed, and I didn't want to reinvent that wheel).

Ezann
07-09-2012, 02:01 PM
I've long drifted round the peripheries of the role-playing community. I once (very, very long ago) DM'd a D&D game, and I've got a fair few RPG game manuals for all kinds of systems, but can't easily join a tabletop group. I sometimes look around for a decent play-by-email or play-by-web game, but have never really taken the plunge. I'm looking again at the moment, in fact, which was part of what sparked my registering for this forum -- I've always loved the world (or even universe!) building aspects of RPGs, and map-making is a big part of that.

Gamerprinter
07-09-2012, 03:01 PM
I'd go as far as saying that 90% of the active members of the site are either roleplayers now, or were roleplayers at one time. A small percentage of the members are fantasy fiction authors, some are cartographic professionals, and some RPG publishers which fill up the remaining 10%.

I am roleplayer, sometimes GM, sometimes player using Pathfinder, sometimes D&D 3.5. I am also a professional fantasy cartographer, that is I create maps on commission for publishers, as well as being a co-publisher myself.