PDA

View Full Version : Successor States of the Old Empire

Diamond
08-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Here's a follow-up to my Eos map, showing the fragmented city-states and nations that once made up the southern reaches of the Old, or Qartheen, Empire.

I used a combination of brushes and hand-drawing for the hills and mountains; hills are brushes from that set I found here, while the mountains are hand-drawn. I used less detail in the mountains so that they stand out a little more against the hills. The tree brush is mine, and the swamp brush is StarRaven's. Just like on the Eos map, the font is AVQuest (except for the river names and the key, which are in Arial Narrow).

feanaaro
08-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Very nice map, but I find the Avalon Quest font a bit too strong. It may work for the title, but all those crossed O look "heavy" on the map, this imho.

Diamond
08-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Well, I wanted it to look dense and heavy, so mission accomplished. :D

Ascension
08-31-2011, 01:57 AM
Love the mountains, 2 to 4 lines and yer done, very sweet. Your next map you should do your own hills since I think there is a tiny mismatch between the styles, not much just a tiny one. Trees fit well. The only thing I might redo is the cut-out around the text - make it a lil bigger. Overall, really cool, man.

Sapiento
08-31-2011, 03:03 AM
Wonderful map!

Diamond
08-31-2011, 03:04 AM
Thanks, man. I'm working on the next in the series now, a close-up on Keklabad, and I'm going to try my own hills for that.

Sapiento
08-31-2011, 03:09 AM
Can't wait to see this. I have no doubt, however, that this map will look great, too.

Steel General
08-31-2011, 09:06 AM
Nicely done!!

tilt
08-31-2011, 09:11 AM
looks great - I think Ascensions suggestion about a somewhat bigger cutout around the texts might look good :)

Eilathen
08-31-2011, 09:22 AM
Wow, another top notch map. Well done, have some rep (if i can rep you, that is).

And can i say this: those mountains look at least as good as those in your Guthult map... so... i know i am a pain in the ass but.... any chance you'll gift us with a mountain-brush?

Looking forward to see the detail-map.

arsheesh
08-31-2011, 03:27 PM
Yup, the mountains are really lovely. I also really dig the parchment texture you've created for your borders. Parchment is an element that I haven't really explored much, but yours is some of the best that I've seen. Great job.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

eViLe_eAgLe
10-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Really really nice.. My only argument is that I think the wastelands pattern could be done better with bitmap :P But thats all, really nice job Diamond. Your probably one of my favorite Cartographers.