PDA

View Full Version : *** September 2011 Challenge - The Street of Your Dreams ***

tilt
09-02-2011, 03:53 AM
*** September 2011 Challenge - The Street of Your Dreams ***

This month we urge you to dream. If you could choose amongst everything and anything - what would be the perfect street for you to live on? There are only the limits of your imagination and you can map the street anyhow you like of course. Also where the street is is also your choice as long as you'd want to live there :) So you can use a real world street or make up your own as you like - go mapping, and remember to look twice before crossing (unless of course one don't have to on your street ;))

Don't forget to follow the Mapping Challenge rules (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?503-README-Mapping-Challenge-Rules).

This challenge will end on the 25th of September. The winner will get a shiny golden compass added to their profile.

Hugo Solis
09-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Very interesting! must...find...time.... :D

tilt
09-02-2011, 12:01 PM
on the street of your dreams - you always have time ;)

sigurdbjohansson
09-02-2011, 12:19 PM
on the street of your dreams - things have taken a turn for the surreal

Coyotemax
09-02-2011, 12:48 PM
My day job dragged a wrecking crew through my street, looks like a hurricane hit it :(

Vascant
09-02-2011, 12:49 PM
So tempting to do something underground with this..

moutarde
09-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Hmmm, I've always dreamed of living in a nice house, rather than living on a street.... :D

Greason Wolfe
09-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Never know just who you'll see, do ya - On the street of dreams

And yes, I'm finally back after dealing with a major, make that very major, computer crash. I might even try to enter this one.

GW

Ascension
09-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Wasn't this a Rainbow song from like 1981 or so? Loved that song. I think my street will be just one house surround by fast food and Best Buy stores.

Diamond
09-03-2011, 12:29 AM
I think I'm going to be right there with Ascension: my house --> fast food --> Best Buy --> fast food --> book store --> 7-11 --> fast food. And maybe some fast food places for variety. ;)

Wasn't this a Rainbow song from like 1981 or so? Loved that song.
Lindsey Buckingham (of Fleetwood Mack) did a song called Street of Dreams...

tilt
09-03-2011, 02:50 AM
@GW, glad to see you back, please do enter :)

Greason Wolfe
09-04-2011, 11:26 PM
In my post, yes, that was from Street of Dreams by Rainbow. There are actually several Street of Dreams songs out there, Rainbow, Frank Sinatra, Guns n Roses and a few others that I'm sure I'm missing. Alas, though, as I'm still in the process of re-building my system and have retarded amounts of software to re-install along with trying (through forensics) to recover several Mbytes worth of textures, the possibility of me entering this challenge is looking a bit dim. But at least I'm able to hit the forum again.

GW

Ascension
09-04-2011, 11:53 PM
I feel for ya, man. I lost everything back at the end of July and am slowly putting things back together.

bartmoss
09-05-2011, 02:04 AM
Backups are your friend.

LonewandererD
09-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Well, I anything this comp has caused me to really stop and think. I will try and give it a go.

-D-

Greason Wolfe
09-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Backups are your friend.

Yes, yes they are. Ironically, I was in the process of backing up my main hard drive (creating a mirror for just that sort of crash) when power dropped out in my apartment. Apparently it bounced the head on both drives (according to the tech) and the only way I can recover anything off of either of them is through forensics. Ah well, such is life. It has given me a good excuse to update several software apps, though, as well as boosting the hardware set-up. The old drives are being "autopsied" to see how much data I can actually recover, and, depending on the results, I'll have to make a decision as to how much I want to spend in the attempt to actually recover the data.

GW

waldronate
09-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Yes, yes they are. Ironically, I was in the process of backing up my main hard drive (creating a mirror for just that sort of crash) when power dropped out in my apartment. Apparently it bounced the head on both drives (according to the tech) and the only way I can recover anything off of either of them is through forensics. Ah well, such is life. It has given me a good excuse to update several software apps, though, as well as boosting the hardware set-up. The old drives are being "autopsied" to see how much data I can actually recover, and, depending on the results, I'll have to make a decision as to how much I want to spend in the attempt to actually recover the data.

GW

UPS are your friend, too...

bartmoss
09-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Honestly, the last power outage I remember happening here was twenty years ago and lasted a few minutes. I vaguely remember them being a little more frequent when I was a small kid, maybe 30 years ago.
If I ever were to emigrate the shaky power supply in some countries would be a major culture shock for me.

Diamond
09-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Man, I got nuthin'. I kind of have a street layout in my mind, but I can't decide on a good style.

tilt
09-07-2011, 05:05 AM
maybe you should just try to roughly sketch the layout - or just write it down in text - then you might get inspired? :)

LonewandererD
09-07-2011, 10:34 AM
I've been waiting for someone to make a joke about mapping the boulevard of broken dreams, thought it would be an obvious joke.

-D-

Diamond
09-08-2011, 12:50 AM
maybe you should just try to roughly sketch the layout - or just write it down in text - then you might get inspired? :)
Yup, that's what I've been doing this evening. Hopefully something will shake out of the mix...

tilt
09-24-2011, 06:05 PM
One day left to get stuff in the challenge - come on, you can do it :) .... I'm closing it monday morning (CET).

Diamond
09-25-2011, 03:02 PM
This turned out to be MUCH harder than I thought it was going to be. I finally had a viable idea, and a good way to show it. Only problem is, I thought of it last night at about 11PM. :D Not enough time left.

tilt
09-25-2011, 03:15 PM
I scrapped by original idea as well, luckily at a sooner stage than you. You'll make up for it next month Diamond :)

ravells
09-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Bah, ran out of time too!

Ascension
09-25-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm still in recovery mode. I've started 4 maps but never got very far with any of them yet. Today I found out my tablet wasn't working so I spent all day trying to get it working, which I finally did. So let's hope I get back in the swing next month.