PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Michigan

cshep916
09-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Hello, all. I am brand new to the site and am not even sure how to start. What advice do you have for fantasy mapping when I have no experience?

Hugo Solis
09-05-2011, 12:18 AM
Welcome to CG! I'm pretty new here and have very little mapping experience myself, but my advice would be to try and do maps hand-made or digital all the way to the end (I mean "finished" maps) and then post in in here and you'll be showered with lots of great advice and comments.

Midgardsormr
09-05-2011, 01:07 AM
Welcome!

There is a quickstart guide here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?4276-Quickstart-Guide-to-Fantasy-Mapping.

I don't think it's been updated in a while, but it should at least give you some idea of how to start thinking about things. Take a look around the Finished Maps forum and look for something in a style you'd like to learn. Then look to see if there's a work in progress thread about that map, or, even better, a tutorial about the style.

Then put up a work in progress thread of your own, and ask questions if you get stuck on something. This is a tremendously helpful community, and it's almost certain that someone will have some advice to offer.

Have fun!

Steel General
09-06-2011, 07:40 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Clercon
09-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Welcome to the guild :)