PDA

View Full Version : Handdrawn and watercolored map of Reykjavik - Iceland.

borgarmynd
09-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Hey there

This is my first post here - awesome site btw.

This is a handdrawn and watercolored map that Ive been working on for about 3 years
along with 4 of my friends. We published it last spring as a foldable map. The map can
also be seen in much more detail at : www.reykjavikcentermap.com

Tell us what you think :) 38320

Ascension
09-06-2011, 05:16 PM
I always thought Iceland was a cold and forbidding place but this looks happy and cheery. :) Looks superb, I always like mature colors and well-done line work. Very nice.

Hugo Solis
09-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Wow, very impresive hand-made work! May I ask what's thye original size of your sheet?

Clercon
09-06-2011, 06:43 PM
That looks really nice, great job :-)

borgarmynd
09-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks guys :)

Were a group of architects acutally. We werent expecting any job offers after graduation in 2010, so I presented an
idea to a few of my classmates about making a detailed illustration of our city. We started out by making a bunch of
3d models based on official house plans. We then made pencil drawing which were then watercolored.

To your question: Each building block on the map is actually an a3 watercoloring, which makes the size of the total
map uhhhh.......ridiculous, since there are a total of 183 a3 sheets. We got permit this summer to hang up a 5 meter
wide version, printed on canvas. It was situated in downtown Reykjavik, at a very busy pedestrian corner.

Snorri r

Coyotemax
09-07-2011, 07:27 AM
that totally makes we want to go visit and wander the city for a few weeks.

[i tried running that idea past the wife. It's been awhile since she glared at me like that..*wither* ]

[edit - i just checked out the fullsize one. and then realized i could zoom in. HOLY CARP THATS AWESOME]

[double edit - that cartouch is awesome. i love the whales.. question though, what's that thing on the right, looks like a well with a beam of light shooting out of it? and why is the one boat sinking? ;) ]

[triple edit - i think i get it, it's a progression of time left to right.. representing the whaling industry coming to an end?]

Steel General
09-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Nicely done, one to be proud of!

Valtharius
09-07-2011, 10:15 AM
What a phenomenal piece of work! You've really captured the spirit of Reykjavik! *REPPED*

~Val

borgarmynd
09-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks for your comments.

To answer a few questions:
The map is a collage of 180 a3 watercolor painted pencil drawings. It took
over 2 years and 3000 hours to make. I made it with 4 friends of mine,
3 architects and a graphic designer.

The cartouche is our version of our citys history. Being founded by vikings,
hunting whales and sailing proudly, but now the ships of hope (banks) have
sunk and left us in the dirt. The "beam" is Yoko Onos:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imagine_Peace_Tower

which is a huge beam of light, situated out at an island just outside Reykjavk.

We thought a lot about the style of the map while making it and made several changes
along the process. Most important buildings are based on around 400 cg 3d models
that we made, based on architectural drawings of the individual houses.

Snorri r

Sartoris
09-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Absolutely gorgeous!

ravells
09-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Really beautiful! You are a true artist!!

Redrobes
09-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Wow yeah this is excellent borgarmynd. It always amazes me how cool some of the things people show on this site. This should be a featured map on the front page if you dont mind the feature map terms which are pretty minimal stuff.

Stunning stuff. I gotta rep this.

Do you speak icelandic ? I used to listen to The Sugar Cubes in icelandic and just love the flow of it.

torstan
09-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Stunning! Repped and rated.

ramseyhong
09-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Beautifully rendered!

Iceland is a beautiful place to visit Coyote. :) I went there during early fall once. The food is delicious and the city is beautiful. And the landscape is stunning!

Larb
09-15-2011, 01:25 PM
That is awesome and very inspiring. I am tempted to try something in that style now.

MikeBeehan
09-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Similar to my drawings ;)

Jaxilon
09-21-2011, 12:43 AM
This is spectacular - beautiful

RjBeals
09-21-2011, 05:55 PM
totally beautiful. I would love to visit Iceland!

Not to steal your thunder (like i could)...
but here's a map of Iceland I did some years ago for a board game.
You can hang it beside yours at the busy intersection downtown :o

borgarmynd
10-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Thanks :) And yes, i speak Icelandic. Its actually the same language that vikings spoke more than 1000 years ago.
Due to the countrys isolation the language has changed very little since then, so we can still read the original sagas
and manuscripts from Norway from that time, even though Norwegians cant read it themselves, since all the other
scandinavian languages changed so much.
SugarCubes are cool, Im actually going to a concert with Bjrk on the 4th of november, cant wait :)

borgarmynd
10-14-2011, 08:14 AM
@RjBeals
Nice colors! What kind of boardgame is it?

Lukc
10-14-2011, 08:43 AM
A great piece of work! Is it going to stay exhibited in Rejkjavik? I'll probably not get there any time soon, but it's good to know it's there! ;)