PDA

View Full Version : Ilmuera, city in the Darklands

Hugo Solis
09-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Another city design for Paizo. The final published map was rendered by fabulous Rob Lazzerati.

Ilmuera is the "sister" city of Saventh-Yhi (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?15779-Saventh-Yhi-City-of-the-Seven-Spears) and lies directly beneath it. Curiously, despite beign a subterranean city, it ended up quite colorful... :P my bad.

You can see its full description and a higher resolution image in here (http://butterfrog.deviantart.com/art/Ilmuera-257382890)

Done in Photoshop CS4 for the Pathfinder roleplaying game

arsheesh
09-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Like I mentioned at DA, this is just really impressive stuff Hugo, thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

torstan
09-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Very pretty! I love the compass and I think the colours give it a suitably alien feel that works for an underdark city. I'll call you on the bump mapping filter again - but you know I would say that :) Great stuff again.

Jaxilon
09-09-2011, 03:06 AM
Very pretty.

Katerek
09-09-2011, 04:20 AM
I will be honest , I prefer this version over the final version that was done up for the poster map folio. Not sure if it was intentional, but the individual building clusters are reminiscent of mayan/aztec glyphs. Really nice. Have some Rep.

adunakhor
09-09-2011, 05:53 AM
realy nice, beautifull and funny map!

mearrin69
09-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Loving your style, Hugo!
M

Hugo Solis
09-09-2011, 04:48 PM
I will be honest , I prefer this version over the final version that was done up for the poster map folio. Not sure if it was intentional, but the individual building clusters are reminiscent of mayan/aztec glyphs. Really nice. Have some Rep.

Wow, nice things to say :D Thanks!

Hugo Solis
09-09-2011, 04:49 PM
realy nice, beautifull and funny map!

I wonder why half the stuff I do ends up beign cute or funny... :D

Thanks

RobA
09-09-2011, 05:56 PM
The final published map was rendered by fabulous Rob Lazzerati.

Forgive me for not understanding. What do you mean by "rendered by..."

I am familiar with the term render in the architectural sense and in the object modeling/ray-tracing sense but am not sure what you mean here.

TIA for the clarification.

-Rob A>

jfrazierjr
09-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Yea.. that confused me as well... This sure would be one expensive tear off sheet to hand over to a "final" artist..lol.... of course, He would be meaning that Rob did the Regional Map in which this city is located...

Hugo Solis
09-09-2011, 06:42 PM
My bad. I'm not a a native english speaker and I did learned my english reading D&D books, no proper schooling or anything :P

By "render" I mean Rob got my image from Paizo and he re-draw (I'm not sure if this is the proper way to say it) the whole thing again with his own style and tools. The map you'll see in The Serpent's Skull #5 book is a complete new map based on this illo.

My work here was to design the city map. James Jacobs gave me a small description of what he would like and I started from scratch. He asked for a finished map (all nicely colored and all, no tags thou) for a better reference for the authors. Also, this map was given to the authors for reference when writting about this places. Normally the author of an adventure does his own map and this sketch is given to the cartographer to do the city. In this case James added a "third party" to do the city design.

Katerek
09-10-2011, 02:47 AM
Very interesting process they use there. I like it though, it must make the design work they do on the adventures themselves much easier. Lazzeretti (sp) is a fantastic artist and I know they use him alot - I bet this really speeds up his end of the thing. It seems like a good way to maintain a consisitent "house" design/style as well.

Waylander39
10-22-2011, 04:01 PM
That's magnificent, really love the colours in there.