PDA

View Full Version : March Entry: Not Your Father's Random Dungeon

industrygothica
03-02-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm new here, so I thought I'd try my hand at one of these contests and maybe learn something along the way.

http://www.aarg.net/~minam/dungeon.cgi?width=12&roomcnt=some&height=12&minroomw=2&maxroomw=6&sparse=crowd&minroomh=3&maxroomh=8&random=20&secret=5&deadends=50&concealed=5&level=1&resolution=20&seed=314159&imageonly=1

Here's the original.

The attachment is what I have after separating the layers and adding a few effects in Photoshop. It's a bit dark, but that will be addressed soon enough. I'm particularly fond of the texture on the floor; if you look closely, you'll see what I mean.

More to come, I hope.

Robbie
03-02-2008, 11:03 AM
I think your emboss effect is a bit too strong...you end up with really sharp highlights and really sharp shadows that detract from the layout. This is especially apparent on the walls. I'd experiment a bit with the lighting effects filter and cut back a bit on the intensity. Check this pic out.

industrygothica
03-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Thank for the advice.

Here it is again after a little tweaking.

pyrandon
03-02-2008, 05:53 PM
That made a HUGE difference, gothica! Wow--nicely done.

Redrobes
03-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Yes yes, much better. The only trouble now is that the walls look like markings on the floor. Is there some way to get some height back into them ?

industrygothica
03-02-2008, 10:50 PM
That made a HUGE difference, gothica! Wow--nicely done.

Thank you. I did a little beforehand, but Arcana's lighting tip definitely made the difference.

Yes yes, much better. The only trouble now is that the walls look like markings on the floor. Is there some way to get some height back into them ?

I don't know. I'll have to see if there's something I can do.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. I've just been here for a couple of days now, and I already feel like I'm learning something.

-IG

industrygothica
03-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Just a little update... Added the doors and a couple of the features.

ravells
03-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Looking superb, industrygothica - I really like the moody colour choices and the spider-webs!

Robbie
03-03-2008, 05:02 PM
NOW its starting to come together!

pyrandon
03-04-2008, 02:12 AM
This is looking fantastic! Wow--nice work.

Two things, however, throw me off: 1) the very hard edges of the walls; I'd fix that somehow to look less geometric, for it clashes with the rough stone feel; 2) the thin walls! Surely there's something we can do about those, even though in the original map? They just look ridiculous and inexplicable.

Great job.

industrygothica
03-04-2008, 03:10 AM
This is looking fantastic! Wow--nice work.

Two things, however, throw me off: 1) the very hard edges of the walls; I'd fix that somehow to look less geometric, for it clashes with the rough stone feel; 2) the thin walls! Surely there's something we can do about those, even though in the original map? They just look ridiculous and inexplicable.

Great job.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what I can do about the thin walls without corrupting the original layout, but the thicker walls should be easy enough to fix.

Thanks again!

-IG

su_liam
03-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Perhaps you could use a different material for the thin walls, perhaps wood. You could probably justify eight inches for a wood partition(which would be quite stout), in an area where hewn stone walls would make no sense.

Speaking of wood, the grain on that table is quite out of scale, making the table look tiny. While a realistic depiction of wood grain at 10-feet-to-the-inch scale wouldn't be very appealing, a smaller grain might help.

Also, while the referee might rule against you, there is no way you can corrupt this dungeon layout more than the random number generator already has.

Redrobes
03-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Yup, I'll buy that as i'm going for a wood planked wall. I cant justify how to create it any other way ! I wouldn't see how this is any way against the spirit or map. It doesn't say or indicate in any way what its made of. I was toying with the idea of using all ice blocks and ice sheets but heck I couldn't be bothered with this map.

pyrandon
03-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Yes, those thin walls could be anything. I was even thinking it was originally a large, caverous room, but then wood walls were erected to support a crumbling ceiling--this explaining some of the pattern oddities. (I really like that ice idea, though, Redrobes!!)

industrygothica
03-05-2008, 06:19 PM
I haven't done anything with the walls yet; not sure if I will. I've been working on some of the features though. Here's an update:

ravells
03-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Beautiful, you're really capturing the atmosphere! Fabulous use of colour and light!

And the doors really rock too!

industrygothica
03-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Beautiful, you're really capturing the atmosphere! Fabulous use of colour and light!

And the doors really rock too!

Thank you. I know this seems like a cheesy competition to some people, but I'm really learning some things by participating; doing things I'd never thought about before. I never imagined I'd contemplate the best way to draw a pile of poo!

I guess the most challenging part for me is trying to find some logical way of putting the random items together. That's how I came up with room #2--the carving of the actual dungeon map on the table, done with the utensil.

The scale of the boxes is WAY off though, so I'm going to have to go back and fix that.

Midgardsormr
03-06-2008, 09:46 PM
A hidden benefit to this challenge. The seed is so absurd that no one feels like they have to make a work of art. I have noticed that there are more entrants this month than in the past, and it's only 6 days in.

industrygothica
03-07-2008, 01:11 AM
Another small update..

industrygothica
03-12-2008, 04:23 PM
I believe this is about as done as it's going to get. I hope it's enough for my first attempt.