View Full Version : First Map Post: A Highland Region using Wilbur and Gimp

09-09-2011, 07:34 PM
I found this tutorial by Torq to be intuitive to follow http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?4780-Award-Winner-Mountain-Technique-using-Wilbur-and-the-Gimp.

I tried it out with one main difference: instead of a ridged multi-fractal while in Wilbur, I instead picked a Hetero Terrain. The rest I went by the book.
I suppose the Erosion phase cut a little high in my highlands, leaving erosion channels up near the top. That's one thing I'd like to do a bit differently.

Also, I tried to go with the darker blue outline around the water as shown in the tutorial example, but in my case it seems to have given me a "couldn't quite color within the lines" appearance. That's actually apt, in my case. :D I dunno... maybe I could add a marsh layer?

With that said, here's my first digital region image, hopefully to become more of a map.

Greason Wolfe
09-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Not a bad start, and Torq's tutorial is a good one to work with. Leaves lots of room to tweak things around to suit your personal tastes, but still gives you what you need to make some progress.

09-10-2011, 04:42 PM
A nice start, I`ll keep an eye on your updates ;)

09-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm playing around with the colors right now. It isn't that high a region, but I guess it looks little arid.

what's new?
Darkened the lower ground, went with the lighter green for the higher ground and brown for the highest ground. I also added noise to the lowland layer and a bit of an overlay effect at the end to give it a ... well, not sure what I'd call the effect.