PDA

View Full Version : March Entry: Not my father's dungeon

ravells
03-02-2008, 06:07 PM
I had some free time today and drew this. I'm not sure I'll have time to do any more, but it was good fun!

ravells
03-02-2008, 07:39 PM
One more go before I go to bed.

Midgardsormr
03-02-2008, 08:12 PM
You should make it with the tokens off to the side in a punch-out sheet! And one of those cut-out dice that you have to fold up and glue together. Did you ever see one of those booklet games with the dice like that? That's what this map reminds me of.

ravells
03-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Lol...good idea. I'll try it if I have the time this week!

Have you ever played 'Lord Valkenburg's Castle'?

pyrandon
03-03-2008, 01:57 PM
What a fun entry!! And I absolutely love Midgard's ideas of making it look like the punch-out sheet from a boxed game. That would only heighten the unabashedly fun kitsch enjoyment of the map!

ravells
03-03-2008, 06:52 PM
I think this is the dungeon finished...I'll try to put in the punched card and cover in later!

Ahhhh this map reminds me of the good old days of the cheap game in the hobby shop (which we still thought was really cool!)...no WOTC then.

Midgardsormr
03-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Have you ever played 'Lord Valkenburg's Castle'?

That sounds familiar, so I might have seen it at some point, but I don't think I ever played it.

ravells
03-03-2008, 07:07 PM
It's a classic. Check it out. (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2599)

industrygothica
03-03-2008, 10:13 PM
I just want to go on record as saying that I absolutely love this map.

ravells
03-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks, ig! I hope to finish it soon as I'll be away for a couple of weeks shortly!

ravells
03-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Here's my final entry.

Enjoy the game - they really were like this in the early 80s (except the maps were even crappier!)

The Cartographist
03-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Ravells - That is TRULY is a work of inspired genius. Takes me back... WAY back.

But I do take offense to your comment that "the maps were even crappier!" I prefer to use the term 'simpler'.

ravells
03-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Thank you, Tim - if I had used a typical map from that period, all I would have needed to have done is cut and pasted the original random dungeon we were given to work with!

Midgardsormr
03-05-2008, 04:27 PM
I love it! Even down to the low-res and inappropriate graphics on the cover.

I have to say, this challenge has been full of laughs from the very beginning.

The Cartographist
03-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Ravells - I'm about to say something in all seriousness, although it might not be taken for such.

I think that you should use what you've done here as the inspiration for a line of 'old-school, throw-back' dungeon delving board games. The games could each come in a PDF booklet that the purchasers can print the boards and cut out the tiles. You could even offer them at Gamerprinter's print shop.

All you need to do is develop a super-simple game mechanic, and you are off to the races.

Maybe we could do this as a joint venture...

ravells
03-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Get outta here Tim! You're such a card! Actually it has been done - I've got a version upstairs somewhere and it's quite good fun.

Anyway, couldn't help having a bit more of a fiddle.

### Latest WIP ###

The Cartographist
03-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Holy "Suitable for Players 8+" Batman! IT GETS BETTER AND BETTER!!

If it has been done, why don't I see them on sale anywhere?

Other random comments:

- You're definitely giving away the fact that you are a UK citizen with the potatoe chip bag.

- I think for a game this simple, you have TOO many character stats and the Saving Throw system appears too complex.

ravells
03-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Well there's Cheapass games (google it) which produces stuff in white packets like the one here (Kill Dr Lucky is one of their more famous ones) - Cant remember for the life of me what the dungeon crawl one was though, it came in a deck of cards which you placed on the table to make the dungeon as you went along.

-have you read the saving throws listed?

p.s. sorry about the horrid edging on the pencil

The Cartographist
03-05-2008, 05:45 PM
No, I hadn't, but that is fantastic!

pyrandon
03-05-2008, 07:09 PM
If you guys go the game creation route, count me in!!! That would be a riot!

NeonKnight
03-06-2008, 05:20 AM
HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

DM: Ok Percy, make a Saving Throw against Wanton Wenches!

Percy: Damn, I only get a 4 against those (rolls Dice), Darn, only a 6!

DM: Haha, Percy, your living up to your name! The Wanton Wench Sidles up to you, and.....YOU WET YOUR PANTS!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist after reading the PC's Card ;)

RobA
03-06-2008, 11:29 AM
http://gadgets.boingboing.net/gimages/random_harlot_table.jpg

(image courtesy of boingboing gadgets (http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/03/05/great-moments-in-gyg.html)) From the first-edition Dungeon Master's Guide

ravells
03-06-2008, 12:06 PM
that is so funny, I read that on Boing, Boing and that's exactly where I got the idea from. Did you read the bit where the guy said: I've been trying to roll a 66-75 for most of my life..

Redrobes
03-06-2008, 03:39 PM
An old DM we used to have always made us roll the 'prem' save...

GlennZilla
03-06-2008, 04:24 PM
All this talk of adolesents with "a mental focus issue" and still learning how to play reminds me of a little story. I still cringe when I recall walking past a table at the game store I used to own.

"So the gay ogres grab you."

I kept walking and never walked past them again.