PDA

View Full Version : Idea for Hex-based Wilderness Map Geomorphs

muddle
09-13-2011, 03:43 PM
After spending a little time working on some underground dungeon geomorphs, I thought I might have a go at some Wilderness Geomorphs. These are abit inspired by the old boardgame "Mighty Empires" which I think was published by games workshop (??) Anyway, while this is a total work in progress, I was wondering if anyone else had done anything like this ( hexagonal geomorphs that is.)

hope you enjoy, let me know what you think.
muddle

muddle
09-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Note: each individual small hex is a geomorph, they are grouped based on similarity. the idea is that these could be rearranged to create all sort of different maps ( once the set is completed. ) Hopefully everybody is familiar with the geomorph concept. : )

Redrobes
09-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Have a good search over the whole guild for hex maps. I have a keyword lookup in my sig and I think hex is in there too. Only recently I did a little demo of terrain based hex tiles for some paintball organizer.

Coyotemax
09-14-2011, 02:08 AM
I remember playing Mighty Empires. I loved the way the map generation worked.. the group of friends I played with were awesome and I remember some surprisingly realistic looking layouts.

tilt
09-14-2011, 02:19 AM
looks good, nice colors :)

ravells
09-14-2011, 07:27 AM
I used to have Mighty Empires too. I thought the geomorphs it had worked really well (although the cardstock was a little thin - Avalon Hill just spoiled us when it came production quality) and we loved the little models. The rules left a lot to be desired and we were always trying for a long time to write a set of house rules but (as always) never finished them.

I really like what you have done...making good looking connecting mountain geos is going to be a toughie though.

muddle
09-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Yep, Mountains are going to be difficult. I am going to focus my efforts on just a few mountain tiles over the next few days... will post updates when I have something more to show...

muddle
09-17-2011, 04:56 PM
ok, here's an update. tried to really focus on mountains and hills this time. ( and even experimented a bit with swamps. ) The mountains were tough to do, and this is still not a bit of a rough draft. But after numerous experiments and attempts at creating mountains these are the first ones I ma starting to be happy with. Any comments are welcome, particularly in regards to the mountains, hills and swamp hexes.

feanaaro
09-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Very nice. Why don't you show us a composition? That would help in judging how the hexes all work together.

muddle
09-18-2011, 12:21 AM
I would love to. but i simply have not finished that many of the geomorph hexes yet. If you take a look at the first attachment image I posted, you will see 5 sets of coastline geomorphs. each set has 6 hexes. so to start to make a composition I would need at least 15 geomorphs for a partial group and 30 geomorphs for a complete group. so if coastlines are one group and mountains are another, ( and swamps, grasslands, forests, and hills, etc.) That's something like 6 groups. so 6 (groups) x 15 (hexes) would be 90 geomorphs to create just for a partial list of all the geomorphs. That is a lot more work I have yet to put into this, so it will take a while to get there. Hope all that makes sense. I was simply trying to make one or two geomorphs for each group just to get a rough idea of how it all might work. let me know if my explanation did not make any sense. :)

muddle
09-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Here's another update showing progress made in building out an initial set of basic geomorphs. I will try and build an example map out of these as soon as possible, but hopefully this image illustrates the concept I mentioned in my last post ( i.e. there are lots and lots of geomorph to be created.)

cantab
09-23-2011, 07:26 AM
They look good. I am however wondering if you've made the task bigger than it needs to be though. You seem to have lots that are equivalent by rotation. The first two coasts after the swamp, for example, seem the same.

In terms of things not included, I think a forest-mountain transition is definitely warranted. (You could probably get away without separate hill forest since they'll look much the same.

muddle
09-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Yes, you are absolutely right, there are lots of items that are simple rotations ( 6 rotations per set ) on a basic geomorph. There are two major reasons for this, this project is for on-screen use and i won't be printing these out and cutting them out. And these hexes lock together perfectly pixel-by-pixel. The top two angled sides are slightly different from the bottom two angled sides by a few pixels. I simply have not found a way to create a "true" hex-shape in which all the angled sides have the exact same pixels on the edges. ( a 45 degree angled pixel line can do this, but a 60 degree angled line is harder to do.)

It is kinda hard to explain, hope my description makes some sense. if anyone knows how to solve this problem let me know. Thanks : )

feanaaro
09-23-2011, 10:44 AM
could not you do the hexes as vectors? That way a 60 degree line should stay 60 degree.

Redrobes
09-23-2011, 04:19 PM
I simply have not found a way to create a "true" hex-shape in which all the angled sides have the exact same pixels on the edges. ( a 45 degree angled pixel line can do this, but a 60 degree angled line is harder to do.) Well first, my ViewingDale app would do these hexes with rotations that would keep the edges intact. Secondly tho, if you wanted to use any kind of paint package just run the rotations at a higher res. Up sample them to say 5x original, do the 60 deg rotation and then down sample them again and it should be near perfect.

muddle
09-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Interesting software Redrobes... but I run a mac computer, not a windows pc : (

Attached is a quick composition to show the hexes combined into something more map-like. I think doing this was a really good exercise, as I now see several things I would like to change. I think the grass lands are too brightly colored and too repetitive in their pattern, and I am still not happy with the mountains. I am thinking of redoing those mountains entirely.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!