PDA

View Full Version : Arya again, FT+photoshop

feanaaro
09-18-2011, 06:19 PM
In mapping other parts of my world (see here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?15469-Arya-s-experiment-with-FT-PS-%28and-minimal-illustrator%29&highlight=Arya)) I'm trying a slighty different blend of FT and photoshop.
Concerning the problem of the fractal pattern showing at closer zooms, after trying various work-arounds, I found that simply applying a slight blur to the layer with the shadows helps a lot.

feanaaro
09-19-2011, 07:23 PM
How will I name all these cities? A big problem (for people without linguistic imagination like me) in mapping more populated areas.

Ascension
09-19-2011, 07:36 PM
You use a name generator, there are hundreds online.

feanaaro
09-19-2011, 07:39 PM
I can't do that, this is supposed to be a world with a history, and languages should be somewhat consistent.

Greason Wolfe
09-19-2011, 08:11 PM
As Ascension said, there are hundreds of name generators out there and, in my experience, a fair number of them allow you to access themed material. Inspiration Pad Pro (download freely from http://www.nbos.com) for instance, has a number of naming sets such as Albanian, Latin-like, Czech, Dwarf, Elf and so on. There's is an auto-name feature in Autorealm as well. Of course, you don't have to use the exact names that any generator puts out, but they might provide a bit of inspiration in terms of pattern naming. You might also want to take a look through the Toponymy and Linquistics sub-forum. There's a number of discussions about just this sort of thing.

GW

feanaaro
09-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Some tentative political boundaries... not very satisfied with them.
Anyone among the great cartographers here doing wonderful boundaries has suggestions?

Ascension
09-20-2011, 11:44 PM
The only real advice I can give you on borders is about color - avoid bright colors, try offbeat colors, muted tones, subtle shades. Bright colors are good for being able to see them easily but don't always look pleasing to the eye.

feanaaro
09-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Trying a different blend, less fractal terrain (basically just elevation and rivers remains), a little more photoshop.
Does it look better or worse?

edit: the snowcaps on the southern mountain range is way too extensive, that will be corrected anyway.

feanaaro
09-22-2011, 03:15 PM
revised borders

Steel General
09-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Just a suggestion... mute the yellow, green and red borders a bit more, they definitely 'catch the eye'.

feanaaro
09-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Could this be due to excessive darkness in the background? Also, by "muted" what do you mean exactly? Less saturation, less luminosity, shifting the hue more toward white, or what?
I am bad at choosing colors perhaps, can't find a combination which satisfy me.

feanaaro
09-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Various fiddling, and some names thrown in for good measure.

Edit: There seem to be something wrong. I tried uploading images multiple times, and with different browsers, but it never works.

laevex_esre
09-28-2011, 02:54 PM
I think 'muted' means, in this sense, less saturation and possibly more lightness. Maps tend to use fainter, less vivid colours to keep the artificiality subtle. But if you like bright colours then go for it. Use bright neon pink if that's the style of map you want. :D

Also, there is a problem across the forum at the moment with uploading images. It's not just you.

feanaaro
09-28-2011, 03:32 PM
No no, I completely agree on the "muted" line; it's just that I haven't been able to find hues that are right for me (considering the necessity of differentiate colours)

edit: now the attachments seem to work again