PDA

View Full Version : Randomonia... Or Should I Re-Introduce Myself...

jtougas
09-19-2011, 06:06 PM
WOW..it's been a little while (like 4 months) since I've visited the guild and for that I aplogize. I have been a member for a year now and to celebrate (and to make sure I remember what I am doing I present "Randomonia" A technique "refresher course" if you will. I'm using GIMP as usual.

arsheesh
09-19-2011, 07:21 PM
Welcome back JT, I wondered where you had gotten off to. Good to see you back!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

jtougas
09-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Thanks Arsheesh. It's good to be back :)

More Work (and Re-Work) on "Randomonia" I've decide that the stroke around the landmasses had to go, it didn't look "organic" enough. Also I removed all the rivers, they were too wide and looked silly. I removed all the labeling on this too as although clever (IMO) in the beginning the word "random" in a hundred different languages got tedious quickly.

eViLe_eAgLe
09-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Glad to see you back! I tried gimp.. Never could get the hang of it so stuck with PS. Don't have anything to say right now, sorry.

ravells
09-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Great to see you back, JT! I was wondering what had happened to you!

tilt
09-21-2011, 10:07 AM
welcome back jt - and you come back shootin' ;)

jtougas
09-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words :) I'm really spending a lot of time on this to get the overall "feel" right. I've deleted the mountains in this version as they were horrible. i think I have the overall look I am going for on the landmasses although that might change too the more I look at it. I want to get the large landmasses as done as I can get them before I move on to the smaller ones (the far northern one will be ice covered). I need to refresh myself on mountain making as well as making rivers that don't look silly.

jtougas
09-22-2011, 04:01 PM
I made some more progress on this today. Thanks to RobA's awesome Mountain Tutorial (http://showmedo.com/videotutorials/video?fromSeriesID=262&name=2620000) (which I knew about but had forgotten..) I finally have some mountains that I can be proud of. I spent a good deal of time working on the blending of the mountains and the landmass and I am pretty satisfied with the results. (for now). I lowered the opacity of the mountains just a bit as well as I think it takes some of the "regularity" out of them. (drawing less regular selections would have helped too..) Next up are rivers. I'm thinking that I'm not going to label this and just put it out there if anyone would like to use it for anything. Of course as often as I change my mind that could change at any moment.. :)
*EDIT* Whoops.. forgot to crop the edge of the image (hence the blue line) I'll fix that.. :)

RobA
09-22-2011, 04:04 PM
I made some more progress on this today. Thanks to RobA's awesome Mountain Tutorial (http://showmedo.com/videotutorials/video?fromSeriesID=262&name=2620000) (which I knew about but had forgotten..) I finally have some mountains that I can be proud of. I spent a good deal of time working on the blending of the mountains and the landmass and I am pretty satisfied with the results.

Nice mountains! Glad the tut still works for you. The key is always in the blending...

-Rob A>

jtougas
09-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Thanks Rob :) On the backs of giants do I step... More RobA goodness for some Tapered Rivers. (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?3011-Award-Winner-Tapered-Rivers-in-GIMP&p=32810) Finding just the right color was a problem and I ended up changing the color of my "shallows" to find something that worked with the rivers. :)

jtougas
09-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Today's update. The rivers on the large landmasses are done (for now) I added a bit of a color overlay of brown to give them a little "depth". I also finished the far Northern landmasses. I think the two smaller Northern landmasses will be forest covered. It will give me a chance to practice my forest creation.

jtougas
09-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Well I decided to go a little different route with this mid-stream (as I so often do) I decided that this map would depict an "new" or undiscovered area. I forested the large landmasses and am happy with the result. I also re-worked the mountain in the large landmass. As I stated earlier I didn't really want to get into labeling this as it was just a way to refresh myself on technique. I think this is finished. All in all I'm happy with the way it turned out. :) BTW the name is in Welsh.

arsheesh
09-25-2011, 06:53 PM
I really like the color scheme of the new version JT, it is quite attractive!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

jtougas
09-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks Arsheesh. Your maps have had a huge influence on my work. I'm glad to see that I didn't forget everything... :)

Jaxilon
09-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Looks great but I notice you have a bit of a hard line around the base of the mountains. It is more noticeable in some of them, for instance the NE island mountain. I was having this issue myself until I figured out how to use layer masks. Sometimes you have forest that hides the line but by using a layer mask and a low opacity brush you can blend the mountains into the land in a very nice way. If those lines bug you too I would highly recommend checking out Award-Winner-Explanation-of-Layer-Masks-in-GIMP (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?3143-Award-Winner-Explanation-of-Layer-Masks-in-GIMP(and-PS)).

I use layer-masks a lot now that I know how they work so at least for me it was worthwhile to learn them.