PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk Europe

Diamond
09-29-2011, 03:15 PM
No real background for this; just something I did for the heck of it, since I'm on vacation this week. I tried to include stuff you don't see in 'normal' steampunk scenarios - strong, widespread Islamic powers, uber-Poland (and Hungary), and no Germany. One day I might try to work up a timeline/etc, for this, but don't hold your breath.

tilt
09-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Those were the days - when Denmark were bigger :)

Ascension
09-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Looks really nice, man. Except the gears...they look like cookies. :) A small chisel bevel might have been better there instead of the smooth bevel. Otherwise, looks really pro.

arsheesh
09-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Yet another Diamond map snagged for my inspiration folder!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
09-29-2011, 09:03 PM
Looks really nice, man. Except the gears...they look like cookies. :) A small chisel bevel might have been better there instead of the smooth bevel. Otherwise, looks really pro.
Well, I like cookies, so I consider that a WIN!!!

:D

mearrin69
09-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Very nice. I like the cookies! Actually, except for one (which *does* vaguely resemble a Keebler Fudge Stripe cookie), they pretty much look like gears to me! :)
M

Sapiento
09-30-2011, 03:21 AM
Excellent map again!

Steel General
09-30-2011, 07:01 AM
Another fine bit of work... go cookie gears! :)

laevex_esre
09-30-2011, 02:28 PM
This is brilliant. I love alternate histories like this and it's great to see different nations doing well to usual. Although the Grand Bretagne thing confuses me. The style's really good too. I can imagine it in a history book almost.

Diamond
09-30-2011, 05:00 PM
My thought was that one of the centers of the 'steampunk industrial revolution' was in Brittany, allowing them to expand into a world power, eventually co-opting and conquering much of western Europe, including England and Ireland. Scotland, another center of the SIR, maintained its independence and is now a technocratic republic.

Clercon
09-30-2011, 05:34 PM
A really great map, even though I doubt that Denmark ever would be able to reconquer the southern parts of Sweden (which historically was Denmark before they lost it) ;-)

ravells
10-02-2011, 06:03 AM
Beautifully done Diamond. Really lovely look and feel to it.

rdanhenry
10-02-2011, 11:41 PM
A really great map, even though I doubt that Denmark ever would be able to reconquer the southern parts of Sweden (which historically was Denmark before they lost it) ;-)

Ah, but maybe in this timeline, they never lost it, so they didn't need to reconquer it.

cantab
10-03-2011, 02:48 AM
My thought was that one of the centers of the 'steampunk industrial revolution' was in Brittany, allowing them to expand into a world power, eventually co-opting and conquering much of western Europe, including England and Ireland.The naming's a little odd I guess, in that "Grande-Bretagne" is French for Great Britain.

If the Napoleonic wars had gone differently, then the Knights of St John might still hold Malta. Depends when your timelines diverge as it were.

Lukc
10-03-2011, 03:26 AM
Jaw-dropping ... I love the simple elegance. It reminds me of National Geographic maps I used to hang on my walls in the old days, when you got maps, not just posters in those mags. :)

torstan
10-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Very pretty indeed. Love the shadow cog border. Great work!

Diamond
10-03-2011, 11:53 PM
Thanks much guys.

Schwarzkreuz
10-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Hi Diamand, I found you maps on Deviantart, and so doing, find my way here, thank you for this. And I realy enjoy your classical maps like this one. I have always problems in making the grid, and on this maps its just looks awsome, can you give me a tip how to do this?

Diamond
10-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Hi Diamand, I found you maps on Deviantart, and so doing, find my way here, thank you for this. And I realy enjoy your classical maps like this one. I have always problems in making the grid, and on this maps its just looks awsome, can you give me a tip how to do this?

Glad to have you here; this place is awesome.

As to the lat/long lines, I cheated - I scanned a map from an atlas and just did a trace of it in photoshop. If I tried to place them by hand I'm sure I'd have botched it. I used the same map in another althist thing I posted on DeviantArt a long time ago - the Holy Roman Khanate. :D

Hugo Solis
10-05-2011, 01:35 AM
Love it, and if it wasn't for the cookies...eeerrrr...gears, I wouldn't think of it as steampunk at all, which ain't bad in anyway.

Now you got me dreaming of new campaign settings and RPG world building... :D