PDA

View Full Version : New mobile style! Cellphone/mobile users rejoice!

Robbie
10-06-2011, 07:31 PM
I just installed a mobile skin for vbulletin, which now gives you a much lighter version of the website if you're on your phone or other mobile device.

Right now its default, so it uses the vbulletin default colors. I'll be customizing it over the next few days/weeks to make it look more appropriate. But if anyone has any problems with it, let me know here.

Djekspek
10-06-2011, 08:04 PM
great stuff, looks fine to me! (of course the skin will make it look even better, but it works perfectly on Android) cheers, Herwin

tilt
10-07-2011, 07:31 AM
so is it still running on tapatalk?

Robbie
10-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Yes, but Tapatalk isn't free. The mobile style is. So if you can't afford Tapatalk, the site is still easy to use on mobile devices now.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

jfrazierjr
10-07-2011, 08:20 AM
ewwww... it's so ugly!!!! Anyway, could your first mod to it put the "full site" link somewhere near the very top instead of WAY at the bottom under all of the threads? I use the new posts search all the time, so until you or Rob have time to fully style it, I would like to be able to quickly view it as a normal page...

Robbie
10-07-2011, 09:11 AM
I'll be spending a little time on it today, so I'll see what I can do ;)

RobA
10-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Doesn't work on my Blackberry (OS5).

Sucks to have a crappy phone :(

-Rob A>

Robbie
10-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Time to get an android phone brother!

Steel General
10-07-2011, 11:09 AM
You'd think working for a telecommunications company I'd have one of these new-fangled smart-phones. Just can't justify the cost of the data plan, barely use the 'dumb phone' I have now.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll get a tablet....

Robbie
10-07-2011, 11:48 AM
I put a full site link at the top of the mobile style. Should work for you now. let me know if it doesn't.

In the meantime if someone wants to make a 130x36 pixel Cartographers Guild Logo for the mobile style (to replace the ugly vBulletin one) I'd appreciate it. I don't have any image editing software yet. Post it as an attachment here.

tilt
10-08-2011, 03:17 AM
You'd think working for a telecommunications company I'd have one of these new-fangled smart-phones. Just can't justify the cost of the data plan, barely use the 'dumb phone' I have now.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll get a tablet....

I'd like a tablet, just to have one - but they are hard to fit in your pocket. Buying the iphone is the best buy I ever made... its a great phone, and I only have the 3S version. Before getting that I only used my phone for calling and the occasional sms now and then - now I play a few games, read some comic, listen to books etc etc. Well worth the $60 I pay per month for free calls between "3" users (phonecompany), 300 minutes of phonetime to others, free SMS and MMS and free data :)
So basicly what I'm saying is IF you get a smart phone, you'd probably end up using it more than you think :)

tilt
10-08-2011, 03:25 AM
are you sure about those measurement - that pretty small...

RobA
10-08-2011, 10:38 AM
I'd like a tablet, just to have one - but they are hard to fit in your pocket. Buying the iphone is the best buy I ever made... its a great phone, and I only have the 3S version. Before getting that I only used my phone for calling and the occasional sms now and then - now I play a few games, read some comic, listen to books etc etc. Well worth the $60 I pay per month for free calls between "3" users (phonecompany), 300 minutes of phonetime to others, free SMS and MMS and free data :)
So basicly what I'm saying is IF you get a smart phone, you'd probably end up using it more than you think :)

I'm really not a fan of Apple's Iron Grip of Control commonly known as the App Store/iTunes so I doubt I'll ever end up with an iPad/iPhone/iPod/i???.

In terms of tablet form factor I had real strong hopes for the Blackberry Playbook because the size is (IMOO just perfect - you can stuff it in a large pocket) and they are Canadian (yeah!) they run QNX (a true, real time OS based on unix, also Canadian - yeah!) and can run flash (yeah!) but the promise has not lived up to the hype (boo!). Though if they start dumping them for under $100 (http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/223409/20111003/blackberry-playbook-99-soon.htm) I'll definately pick one up.

-Rob A>

Robbie
10-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Definitely go with android. It's so open! Especially if you root it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Clercon
10-08-2011, 02:59 PM
I have both an android phone and tablet. They work great anf tapatalk is brilliant when you want to read this forum on the phone. On a tablet however I prefer to log in to the site via a browser. A tablet is great fun, but the 10 inch one I have is a bit big to bring with you, if you dont have a bag. But surfing on it at home is a real treat :-)