PDA

View Full Version : Erinor

Diamond
10-09-2011, 03:12 AM
Experimenting with a bit of a different color scheme. Many names are recycled from my other maps (hey, it's HARD thinking up all those names!) but I think they hang together within their cultural groups.

Fonts are Optimus Princeps and Times New Roman.

edited to add:

The thing that turned out the best (in my point of view) was the forests - I finally found a 'look' for this type of map that I like!

I should note also that the title box was pieced together from two different free-use clipart pieces - I didn't draw the individual leaves myself.

Eilathen
10-09-2011, 06:30 AM
Dude, you're killing me :D Every time i go "woah, cool...that has to be the nicest map i have seen..." ... and then you come back with another one that is cool in other ways and all on its own. In other words: very nice map, have some rep! (even if it's only virtual because i think i will have to spread some love around before i can rep you again ^^ ).

One thing's for sure, if i ever need to commission a map, i really hope you do take commissions!

Sapiento
10-09-2011, 07:31 AM
Good result for your experiment! Which technique did you use for the mountains?

Steel General
10-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Nicely done!

cereth
10-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Very nice result! Great colors..very vibrant.

mearrin69
10-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Pretty! I particularly like the name inset.
M

Diamond
10-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Which technique did you use for the mountains?
They're inspired by some of Ascension's techniques - two different layers, one for hills, one for mountains. The Hills layer is just a B&W clouds layer, with varying amounts of Noise filter; the Mountains layer uses the same base clouds, but with 10 Difference Clouds applied and a tiny amount of noise. Then light filters are applied; I just mess around until I come up with a 'look' that I like, then take out all the black colors. Then the hills/mts layers are set to 0% fill, and after that it's just a matter of messing around with layer styles until you come up with a look you like. I use varying amounts of bevel/emboss, outer glow, and inner glow. Sometimes I'll add a third layer in between the hills and mountains if I need a smoother transition between the two.

arsheesh
10-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Yeah I agree with Eilathen, you never cease to amaze me with both the speed and the quality of your map production Diamond. Amazing stuff.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

jbgibson
10-09-2011, 04:14 PM
re: recycled names - yeah, I've stared hard enough at your other maps that I could start to have the deja vu "haven't I seen this before" reaction :-)
re: forests - that's a really effective look. Too many maps have forests only as puddles in the plains, with all mountains sticking up barren. I like these showing topography through the forest depiction.

Landforms, palette, typography, ornamentation, layout -- all so very good. Nice work!

Schwarzkreuz
10-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Actually I wonder how long do you need for one of your maps? I havent seen anyone have done as many as you.

Diamond
10-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Actually I wonder how long do you need for one of your maps? I havent seen anyone have done as many as you.
For a map like this, probably between 4-6 hours, spread out over a day or two. For something with hand-drawn mountains, etc, I guess around 6-9 hours as a rough estimate. But that's if I work on it over the weekend; I work 40-50 hour weeks, so I usually don't have much time on weekdays - free time there is devoted to writing. If I started a map on a Monday, chances are it wouldn't be done until the very end of the week, if not longer.

Schwarzkreuz
10-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Ok, this rises the bar. Thanks for the reply, it fires up my enthusiasm for getting my tools in order and give my best. And thanks again, for your maps show me the way from DA to CG.

Diamond
10-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Well I was invited here from DA, so I just consider paying it forward. :D