PDA

View Full Version : September/October Lite Challenge entry -< Sitting Duck Inn> -

Dain
10-10-2011, 04:10 PM
My very first entry for a challenge.
Let's give a try to the "lite" one first.

Sitting Duck Inn, how perfect to spend his money :D

Now, I've got 5 days to figure out what to add to make it nicer.
A frame for sure, maybe text ...
Any suggestions welcome :P

### Latest WIP ###

tilt
10-10-2011, 04:26 PM
hmmm suggestions... painting it all over with a solid pink so the other competitors stand a chance perhaps? *rofl*... thats damn beautiful work Dain, and long time no see... good to have you back and in style :)

Dain
10-10-2011, 04:32 PM
hmmm suggestions... painting it all over with a solid pink so the other competitors stand a chance perhaps? *rofl*... thats damn beautiful work Dain, and long time no see... good to have you back and in style :)
How brilliant! Why didn't I get idea myself? thanks! My daughter loves almost everything pink, actually.
However ... I may hold it a little while :P

Anyway, It's good to be back, whatever the outcome can be with the challenge 8)

arsheesh
10-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Very nice so far Dain! What did you use to do the rendering, Sketchup?

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Dain
10-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Very nice so far Dain! What did you use to do the rendering, Sketchup?
Cheers,
-Arsheesh
Thanks,
nope, everything by hand from scratch. But next time, I'll think about using some 3D rendering prog to help me out. It was somehow brain breaking :P

arsheesh
10-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Well that's just damn impressive man, here's some rep!

Jaxilon
10-10-2011, 06:50 PM
This is really nice. If you had the time and the energy for it you could cut out some of the rooftops and show the insides but I know that's a lot of work and it's already great looking. I think showing more of the insides would make it more "mappy" but to be honest I'm not sure you need to. It's just a thought.

Dain
10-10-2011, 07:16 PM
This is really nice. If you had the time and the energy for it you could cut out some of the rooftops and show the insides but I know that's a lot of work and it's already great looking. I think showing more of the insides would make it more "mappy" but to be honest I'm not sure you need to. It's just a thought.
That's a thought, indeed. The idea actually never crossed my mind but I'll certainly give it a try, certainly not for the challenge though, as the deadline is near.
But thanks, it's a good idea.

I've been thinking about making the whole thing a bit funny.
Just hope there's no mistakes in the spelling/ grammar :/
Point me out if any.

### Latest WIP ###

tilt
10-11-2011, 02:32 AM
how long did it take you to make this by the way - I can't even contemplate how long it would take me *lol* ... and did you use any references?

Steel General
10-11-2011, 06:32 AM
Fantastic, one to be proud of!

Dain
10-11-2011, 07:21 AM
how long did it take you to make this by the way - I can't even contemplate how long it would take me *lol* ... and did you use any references?
I can't tell precisely how many hours I've spent on the project. The idea came at the beginning of September and I didn't work on it everyday. More, I've tried different techniques, different ideas all along the process. In total, possibly 50 hours but If I wanted to do it again, it would probably take about 20-30 hours I guess. 3 days of work full time.
We can actually see that some lines are "better" in term of style and shape than others, making it obvious that I'm not completely familiar with this technique yet.
I tend not to use the "shape dynamic" option with my graphic tablet and then my drawings look too technical/ clean.

Half-timbered houses are quite common in France (needless to say that I'm a french, it helps a bit) so I didn't look for references or inspiration. Just tried to give them a drop of similarity of old norman-french houses from memory.

Fantastic, one to be proud of!
Thanks for that. Still, there should be many things to be changed, but ... well ... I'm not complaining :P

ravells
10-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Absolutely stunning work! It's more of an illustration than a map, I guess, but stunning nevertheless. Beautiful.

Dain
10-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Absolutely stunning work! It's more of an illustration than a map, I guess, but stunning nevertheless. Beautiful.
Good point. Does it still count then?
Maybe breaking down the roofs to see the inside :/

### Latest WIP ###

cereth
10-11-2011, 09:12 AM
That's a really stunning piece of work. It maybe skirts the line between map and illustration, but in my opinion it counts.

Nicely done!

tilt
10-11-2011, 09:21 AM
one could argue that by putting in text (even funny ones) telling us key points of the place you have made a map - the map part being simple, the illustration part hard ;) ... in the end it is always up to the voters what they think :)

mearrin69
10-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Wow. That's amazing. I *refuse* to believe you didn't buy it in a pricy pack of medieval clip-art! :) Can't give you more rep yet or I would!
M

Hugo Solis
10-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Amazing! That's a lot of BEAUTIFUL work!

Lukc
10-15-2011, 10:58 AM
It's inspirational, is what it is ... ;) made me decide to challenge you. There was this perspective dungeon I'd been working on under the influence of Deep Purple ... hang on.

Dain
10-15-2011, 01:18 PM
It's inspirational, is what it is ... ;) made me decide to challenge you. There was this perspective dungeon I'd been working on under the influence of Deep Purple ... hang on.
-- Let's pretend I didn't give a glimpse to your masterpiece yet ;) --

Oh, thanks for kind words, can't wait to see your work. It's exciting to hear my work giving inspiration to a real artist ;)

Wow. That's amazing. I *refuse* to believe you didn't buy it in a pricy pack of medieval clip-art! :)
M
Thanks, I wish I would. I love isometric drawing and that would have meant I would have dozen of them :P

Amazing! That's a lot of BEAUTIFUL work!
Thanks, I know of another beautiful work, and it's not one of mine ;)