PDA

View Full Version : First Map: Auk'anium

Starllusion
10-13-2011, 03:39 AM
Okay, this is my first map, still in progress. I decided to try Saderan a tutorial first. There are a lot of really nice techniques in the tutorial and it was fun learning them.

Being a test run of a tutorial I thought I would have fun and made it resemble a hawk for a friend. It's a bit silly, I know, but it was fun working out what would be the continents and islands. So far I just have the land masses and some unrealistic ice effects to help fill the shape out a bit. If anyone has any ideas or techniques that might help me with the ice the help would be fantastic.

I still need to work on names of cities and choose a font. But, this is it so far. I would greatly appreciate any feedback. ^_^

:edit: Uploaded the wrong version, lol.

Ramah
10-13-2011, 04:52 AM
Looks like you really got to grips with that tutorial. :)

Look forward to seeing this progress.

Steel General
10-13-2011, 07:05 AM
Nicely done...

Lukc
10-13-2011, 02:23 PM
This looks just wonderful! And a great concept!

cereth
10-13-2011, 02:42 PM
That came out very nice indeed! The ice/frozen lands look quite nice to me.

Starllusion
10-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Thank you all for your kind words. I will leave the ice as it seems to be generally liked. I am not sure how i want to do the cities yet, as i like the realistic look to this, and am not sure if i want to use dots for city locations or if I might try to draw in shapes for the cities...well, at least the larger ones. I will play with both and see how that goes.

rdanhenry
10-16-2011, 12:19 PM
How about a fish-shaped island in the lower right corner?

DgtlDrgn
10-20-2011, 06:49 PM
I didn't even notice the hawk shape until you pointed it out - it's really clever! It's there if you're paying attention, but it's not so obvious that it stands out. Love it!

Diamond
10-23-2011, 12:47 AM
I didn't even notice the hawk shape until you pointed it out - it's really clever! It's there if you're paying attention, but it's not so obvious that it stands out. Love it!

Agreed. Usually when people try and do animal shaped landmasses the results are... um... less than stellar, but this looks fantastic.