PDA

View Full Version : Micro Comission: Autumn Woods

Lukc
10-18-2011, 08:51 AM
I've got a rather empty day work-wise (freelancing and such means you get those popping up now and again) so I took kethoth's commission to make a little battlemap. Let's see how it goes.

Here's the terrain done for starters:

Now to add a little footpath, trees, rocks, bushes, obstacles ... maybe little icons for difficult terrain as well.

Lukc
10-18-2011, 10:12 AM

Well, that's some of the buildings done. I'm cheating a bit, using drop shadows to make them "pop" a bit more, but since this is just a single-day project, hey, I'll cut a few corners. Did I mention I got all the textures I'm using while walking the dog today?

Oh, and the little old gravel path is also done. And I've set the grid to 50% opacity, so it melds in a bit more.

Now for some little drystone walls as obstacles, have to differentiate those from the "hard" building walls, add some flagstones to some of the buildings ... hmmm ...

tilt
10-18-2011, 10:25 AM
I know its a quick little map, but the styles clash somewhat.. the soft, natural background and the handdrawn/cartonish buildings ...

cereth
10-18-2011, 10:30 AM
It might be that the background is a little too washed out compared to the ruins.

Lukc
10-18-2011, 12:10 PM
I know its a quick little map, but the styles clash somewhat.. the soft, natural background and the handdrawn/cartonish buildings ...

I know, I know ... I'm NOT quite certain how to reconcile those. Hmm ...

Lukc
10-18-2011, 01:33 PM

It's not perfect, but due to time constraints, I'm thinking this will have to do ...

Lukc
10-18-2011, 03:04 PM

I actually kinda like how it looks now ... it's visible enough to make for simple game use, but still somewhat pretty looking. I'm not sure if the trees are gonna be just placeholders, of if I'll go to work on them some more. At the very least, I should probably make about 3 versions of each size tree/bush and maybe add a few conifers.

I gotta thank google maps for the trees! Can't beat a hi-res satellite shot of a nice botanical garden to get some pretty specimens for photoshopping. :P

eViLe_eAgLe
10-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Im glad you took this one and not me, I don't think I could of done something good as this! Good job!

Lukc
10-18-2011, 04:19 PM
I actually think you could have ;).

kethoth
10-18-2011, 10:42 PM
That's looking good!

Lukc
10-19-2011, 07:43 AM

There we go ... I'm calling this finished for the purposes of a quick little battlemap ;)

Comments and ideas for things to fix very welcome - I'll take advantage of them for the next one.

anstett
10-19-2011, 08:35 PM
Comments

1 - Very nice map if it did not have the grid I could use it in my VTT game in about 2 minutes.

2 - The drop shadows are nice but I would actually make them a bit more dramatic to show the height of the wall ruins (more shadow, higher pile of stone)

3 - For a battle map it needs more space around everything. (I think this applies to almost all of them) Just extending out the edges and filling in with the random trees is a good thing. If the DM does not want the extra space he does not have to print them, or he can crop them out. But is is much easier to crop etc then to add more. Give the characters at least 100 feet of space from the focus of the map to the edge. These are not 8 by 10 sheets of paper, pixels can extend for a long ways :D

4 - A small bit in the corner with your name on it!

I do like this a lot, I would use it.

BOB

Lukc
10-20-2011, 03:52 AM
1. Well ... removing the grid isn't that hard, it's just a top layer with multiply at 50% ;)

2. You're right, but I was a bit worried about the shadows becoming overpowering if made too many of them, also I flattened layers as I went, so - tbh - I didn't quite feel like digging through older save versions. But definitely something to keep in mind.

3. See, this is the main thing - how to represent trees. In some of the mapping tools they do this by drawing a little "tree trunk" in the middle of trees, showing exactly where they block movement and where they don't. Not 100% sure ... what do you guys think about those?

4. DOH! :P

kethoth
11-12-2011, 12:25 PM
In any event, I love this map! Thanks, Lukc!

Lukc
11-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Well, glad to be of service kethoth :)