PDA

View Full Version : Hand Drawn plateau...

Beoner
10-18-2011, 05:53 PM
So, some time since my last post here as I have been a little busy, but now I'm back to work on some projects :)

Anyway, the thing is that I'm having some trouble while doing a map from my state (RS - Rio Grande do Sul) in Brazil. I need to do some plateaus in the hand drawn style, but I oviously cant use the mountain brushes I've used on my other maps, so I was wondering if you guys could help me, how can I do a group of plateaus (or a REALLY big plateau, as it is almost all the north of my state)?

Thank you for any help and sorry for any english mistake, ;)

Lukc
10-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Now those are nice mountains ...

Galendae
10-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Do a search for merp maps, or maps by Peter Fenlon or ICE or Middle-earth. By far the greatest fantasy cartographer, bar none. Best Mountains ever. Surely you have seen his work before?

Jaxilon
10-19-2011, 02:59 AM
To me it depends on the scale you are looking for. A-cliffside-Adobe-city (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?15008-Outreach-A-cliffside-Adobe-city&p=156544&viewfull=1#post156544) is one that I did showing a city in the face of the cliff leading up to a plateau. It might be to close up for what you need but might generate some ideas.

Beoner
10-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Hmm, I am looking for kind of big scale, as it is an entery state (I'm not sure how many kmē, but its pretty big). I think that the Galendae's ideia is good, and actually I was thinking about doing this way, but I had to ask here because sometimes you guys here have some ideias I wouldnt have.

BTW, I saw once a tutorial for this style, Does anyone have the link for it?

@Jaxilon: A great map this cliffside city, unfortunately this style do not match my scale as I said (I could use it but too much work, it would take too much time, and I dont have it at the moment :( ). But you gave me an ideia, to draw a city like you did ;), might try this after I finish this one.

Djekspek
10-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Hi, I'm sure there is a tut on this somewhere, but what you could if you want a top-down view and are using Photoshop:
1. create a brush of something like a tear-shape.
2. edit the brush: set spacing to 200% and shape-dynamics / angle-jitter to "direction"
3. create path(s) and stroke them without pen-pressure
4. you get something like below

cheers, DJ

edit: hmmm, attachments not working...

http://www.imaticka.nl/djekspek/wp-content/gallery/test/lines3.jpg

Beoner
10-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Hmm, pretty good this one you did DJ.

I dont have a view for my map yet, as I can use both top-down view or the one I use on my usual maps (wich I dont know the name in english =/). So I'll give it a try and see what looks better too me,

Thank you all guys, still any new ideas are welcome :)