PDA

View Full Version : Hand-drawn Star Trek battlemap...

mearrin69
10-20-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm working on a battlemap for my upcoming Star Trek game. This is on 34"x26" (I think) paper with a 1" grid...standard stuff from an office store disposable easel pad. I'm sketching it in pencil then the walls will be colored with Sharpies and details done using Prismacolor design markers (though I might color the floor with colored pencil or crayon). This one is of the bridge and surrounding areas but I'll probably do one of main engineering, the cargo bay, and maybe one or two other areas.
M

Edit: Drat. No image upload for some reason. I'll come back and post the pics later.
Edit 2: Back now. Posted the original with a grid superimposed to help me draw it out on paper and a couple of in-progress shots.

mearrin69
10-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Now, given the work I'm probably going to put into this to make it look nice, I'm reconsidering my use of the cheap Office Depot gridded pad paper. It's thin and is already pretty roughed up just from me working with it. The stuff's good for quick battlemaps but maybe not for something I'd like to be more permanent. I think I'll finish it up just to a rough stage so it can be used in a game...but start a new one for the full treatment on a large sheet of decent white posterboard. This thing would be toast after just a few uses and storage in our not-so-climate-controlled gameroom.
M

Edit: Even so, here's another shot, with the walls mostly finished and some consoles drawn in. On the nice version I'm going to do up the ceiling-facing panels with some LCARS-looking graphics - so they'll be black with brightly colored buttons and such. And, yeah, that's my Sylvester and Tweety pencil box!
M

eViLe_eAgLe
10-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Woot! Sylvester and tweety for the win! But, nice progress man! I can already see this will be awesome! :)

mearrin69
10-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Thanks! I hope it turns out nicely...want my players to have a good experience with the game so I've been kind of going all out.

I just went by Office Depot and picked up some pretty cool poster board...it has a barely visible (to me anyway, maybe someone with better eyes can see it) 1/2" grid on it. Sadly, it's only 22"x28" so it won't cover quite the same ground as the larger paper (27"x29"). The bridge is 14" across and it's about 22" from the outer edges of the surrounding hallways fore/aft and port/stbd. Still, it'll be a nicer finished product I think. Hopefully I'll get some work done on it tonight.
M

mearrin69
10-20-2011, 10:52 PM
So much for that concept. The gridded poster board was too small to present the deck the way I wanted...in addition to the fact that the grid was too faint (and broad) to be of much use and was printed on the shiny side of the board (which is unforgiving of pencil marks and doesn't take marker all that well). I've continued with the grid paper version.
M

mearrin69
10-21-2011, 12:25 AM
Think I've got the hang of it...now it's just a matter of filling in the details. I'm using my wife's extensive collection of (delicious and expensive) Prismacolor markers for the first time. They're sweet...but I've never really used markers so it's a bit of a learning process. You can't see it here but I've managed to do a bit of shading on the chairs and structural elements.
M

tilt
10-21-2011, 06:20 AM
looks good, personally I'd gone for doing it all in photoshop and then printing and taping the map together though *hehe*... but this is a very nice personal touch :)

mearrin69
10-21-2011, 11:50 PM
I'm with you on the Photoshop thing...it would be easier, really.

The bridge is coming along. Going to color the carpets and do up the consoles next...gotta break out my LCARS console references. Hope it looks good but it could go south easily. :)
M

mearrin69
10-22-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm pretty happy with how the consoles turned out. Didn't really take that long either. Now to do some more.
M

tilt
10-22-2011, 02:16 PM
looks great - nice colors :)

Acidrain
10-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Very cool, it is always nice to see that of what people come up with in regards to bridge layouts, very nice and keep up the great work.

mearrin69
10-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Thanks. I should point out, if I haven't already, that it's not my design. The basic layout comes from a blueprint (OOP now, I think) by Strategic Designs. Some of the decor comes from photos of the Voyager bridge.

Here's a higher resolution pic. More consoles completed and I've started laying in a light color design for the carpeting. Am considering if I want to do anything fancier...like the upward-facing lights in front of Voyager's conn or maybe the bluish glow from under-console lights. Probably won't go that far, though...not on this pretty crummy paper.
M

Edit: I'm not a great photographer/lighter anyway and these are taken with my (NEW!) iPhone, so they're of so-so quality. :)

tilt
10-25-2011, 02:12 AM
still going strong - I have the old version of those markers, they are great to work with :)

mearrin69
10-25-2011, 02:22 AM
Thanks. Yeah, they are really nice to use. Most of the ones in her collection are fairly saturated, which is fine for this LCARS stuff. The two greys (warm and regular) worked out well for the main contrasting colors on the decor...and I'm using colored pencils of about the same shade on the carpet pattern (such as it is). I'm filling in the black on the consoles with just a plain old Sharpie black very fine pen. I'm sort of surprised it's covering so well...I'd hate to have to do it even with the fine side of those Prismacolor markers (they're not so very fine).
M

mearrin69
10-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Consoles are done! We're going to be using this next week so I've got to get it looking good. I'm also going to make a start on main engineering and the cargo bay (if it'll fit on a page) but they might only be rough by next week's introductory scenario. Singularity's a research ship but the captain's a security guy who fought in the Dominion War...and Starfleet has installed holoemitters in many key areas so the LMH can get around when needed...so that means the crew has been facing a lot of holo-drills. Next week: The Cardassians try to stop a shipment of critical components for the Polyoptes Array. Intruder alert! But it's only a drill...
M

mearrin69
10-26-2011, 11:30 PM
Mostly carpeted now. What a lot of work this is. Am now considering cutting it down and mounting it with spray adhesive on foamcore. Will look into it. I'd like to laminate it too but that might be over the top/too expensive.
M

Edit: FYI, I bought a few packs of these (http://www.victoryforce.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=VFM&Category_Code=sfpacks) minis. Should be here in a few days. I think I can modify them for the races we'll have on the ship and to make their uniforms look like the design we're going to be using. Will post a couple when I get them done up.

eViLe_eAgLe
10-27-2011, 01:05 AM
This is really cool man!

tilt
10-27-2011, 08:17 AM
looks great, and great minis... love the red-shirt packs *lol*

Lukc
10-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Neat stuff. +3 because it's hand drawn! :D

Riggamorphus
10-28-2011, 06:09 PM
I like where this is going. The photos of the work area with the schematics is really neat. It shows the human effort that people forget about when creating a map like this, or when computers get involved. Great work. Look forward to seeing it finnished.

mearrin69
10-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks, guys.

FYI, got the minis today via USPS. 15 figures for $63.23 (including S&H) makes them about $4.21 each. I think that's a pretty good deal. Victory Force was no muss-no fuss to order from. I ordered late on the 25th, they processed the order and shipped on the morning of the 26th, and I received them today (the 28th)in the mail (that's from KS to WA). That's about as fast as I get Paizo stuff...and they're just up the road from me!

I ended up with nine males, four females, one alien-headed figure...and the Klingon conventioneer (which looks fine for in-game use as shipped).

The molding is pretty good - not as nice as Reaper but not as bad as some...including a lot of GW Citadel minis I've bought over the years. The bases are higher quality than standard GW bases (which have gone quite flimsy lately). Getting them cleaned up now.

I need to make a Bolian male mini and there's a bald guy, so not much work needed on that one. Some of the figs already look like Vulcans. The biggest mod I'm planning at the moment is to put antennae on one of the females and paint her as Andorian - I have two of the same figure so I'll move the pose a bit and may change her equipment. One of the players' characters is a half-Klingon but I haven't spoken with her about how Klingon that PC will look...could require some work there.
M

mearrin69
11-10-2011, 01:35 AM
Finished the minis. The maps not so much.

I'm a horrible photographer and the camera doesn't do them justice. They look much better at reasonable viewing range (1'-2') and aren't that shiny without the flash lighting them up. I've got them covered in flat varnish with shiny boots and accessories. I wish I'd been able to do a better job on the faces but...meh.
M

Edit: The Andorian female is a modification of the figure to her lower right (red shirt). I drilled holes and inserted (very) fine wire covered with green stuff. It was simple to do but very fiddly. I tried to make them look like the antennae on the Enterprise Andorians...a little Georgia O'keefe flower-like. Can't really see the detail in the pic but I think they turned out okay.

mearrin69
11-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Here's a little better pic. Finished up the bases.
M