PDA

View Full Version : March Entry: Multilevel Madness

RobA
03-11-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm diverting in two ways this month.

First, I'm trying to do the entire dungeon using Dungeonforge, a nice, easy-to-use tile based mapper. No touch-up at all. Even the shadows are objects stamped down.

Second, I'm attempting to "explain" the insane doors and hallways by making the rooms multi-level. I'm trying to visually cue the floors with different material to indicate the level. I've added stairs/ramps/ladders as necessary...

I've more or less finished room 4 (an old cell/torture chamber having "pit cells") so you get the idea.

-Rob A>

Gamerprinter
03-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Well that's a different way of going - I look forward to seeing you develope the multi-levels. I'm dying to see if you make the "u turn" corridor in room 3 make sense.

Also the use of Dungeonforge - in this dysfunctional RGD, is an interesting way to go.

I guess RobA didn't want to be the only non-participant: #15... :P

alucard339
03-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Nice way to Go RobA,

For one, I din't even get the idea of multi-level. A realy cool Idea that could make some sens of this dungeon.

Maybe the U corridor of room 3 could become a bridge (in room 3) that link the spider corridor with the south section of the U ...

Anyway, I'm always proud of ur unortodoxe Ideas.8)

Continue the great work,
Alu.

Midgardsormr
03-11-2008, 01:55 PM
I'll be doing somewhat the same thing. Those switch-back corridors might actually make sense if Room 2 is much deeper than the rest of the dungeon.

Gamerprinter
03-11-2008, 03:36 PM
That "U" shaped hallway at the top right of the map in room 3 where one the top doorway leads back in the same room...

What if the corridor is a stairway up. The second door just below the first door, might be located 20 feet higher than the first door. You could have a gallery - like my October Challenge temple design, or as Midgardsormr suggests a bridge that crosses this room leading to a hallway towards room 4 and the spider jail room...

My design is set as a single floor dungeon - but yours has lots of room to move.

Good thinking, Rob!

NeonKnight
03-12-2008, 03:43 AM
What about something like the Winchester Mystery House:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Mystery_House

For those who don't know, Sarah Winchester, Widow of the inventor of the Winchester Rifle, never stopped building on her Mansion in 38 years until her death. The house is full of doors that open to nothing, Rooms with no floor, Widows that look onto nothing but an empty 5x5 courtyard, stairs to nowhere, stairs that rise and fall to only take one up a small landing, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe this place was built by someone under the same madness, building for the sheer sake of building.

RobA
03-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Finished Room 3, a multilevel storeroom. (Switched to jpg because the png is now over 5 MB)

-Rob A>

industrygothica
03-13-2008, 12:28 AM
Genius! I love it.

alucard339
03-13-2008, 07:42 AM
good way to go RobA,
Can't wait to see the final version.

RobA
03-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Completed the elf's lair/living quarters (Room 1). Turned the s shaped corridor into a "secret" escape tunnel from the warehouse... Need to hide the far end behind a tapestry or something :)

-Rob A>

RobA
03-18-2008, 02:53 AM
Well, I've managed to wrap up room 5 and a the shading in a few more hallways.

The idea behind this room is that it was once a marble tomb/temple. The elf who lived in room 1 got the idea that there was treasure hidden and force recruited a couple of formian workers to excavate. In their efforts, the pillar that supported the ceiling collapsed into the pit, along with a bit of the ceiling.

The need to remove heavy objects required the addition of the roughly excavated tunnel making the loop to the SE of the room.

The workers did discover a fair amount of silver, (some which they managed to hide) along with a dragon skull buried beneath the floor.

-Rob A>

RobA
03-24-2008, 09:07 PM
This should be the end of this one for me. Finished the elf's pet krenshar room (complete with elevated catwalk :P ) and cleaned up shadows, added lock symbols, etc. I also added the dungeon entrance (NE corner) that comes in via double doors, possibly in the side of a cliff(?) with ramps up and down to the two storeroom levels.

As stated in my first, this map was assembled completely within DungeonForge, a free tile-based mapper. The art came from a variety of locations, including a lot from the Dundjinni user art forums, and some I drew or rendered myself.

This was fun! It was interesting to see the different things everyone came up with.

I've included images with the grid both on and off (suitable for VTT).

I'll also add this last bit for the benefit of Redrobe's script :)
### Latest WIP ###

Redrobes
03-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Nice one Rob. My friend here thinks your map is the best but I am retaining any judgment until the curtain call. Theres been some other excellent ones too. It's certainly an awesome bit of artwork and is likely to do very well.

Ta for the WIP tag ;) I'm still updating it all by hand this month but thats exactly the thing to do in the future. I can run another test now with more than just my thread to check.

ravells
03-25-2008, 03:16 AM
Absolutely fantastic work, Rob!