PDA

View Full Version : Skyrim

Ramah
11-12-2011, 10:56 AM
I was wondering if any of you had already bought Skyrim and if so, what you think of it?

I have to admit I am sorely tempted with it, even though I could never get into Oblivion. In the reviews I've read it does sound like they've improved many of the problems I had with that game and now I'm umming and arring over whether to go for it or not. I so wanted to like Oblivion but there was just something missing.

I loved Morrowind by the way. Played that through several times. If I remember correctly though it was too easy to get the Umbra sword at the beginning which you could use right up until the end of the game. Unless you got that other one... don't remember the name but it was totally overpowered. Ah... halcyon days. :)

Lukc
11-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Well, from what I've seen of Skyrim at a friend's place, the thing that struck me right off the bat is that it's a console-to-PC port, which means that the mouse is not used very well in the interfaces ... for example, you have to scroll through menu items instead of just clicking them. But I haven't tried any more of it so far.

guyanonymous
11-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Wait a few months and it'll likely be 25-50% cheaper, bugs will be fixed, and DLC may be included.

Lukc
11-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Ok, I've fiddled with it a bit more. Basically, the interface is for consoles and terribly annoying ... BUT ... the scenery and the combats and the atmosphere ... wow. I mean, even basic zombies feel scary, and the whole combat thing is pretty well done.

Gan
11-12-2011, 06:41 PM
More than a game with bugs, Oblivion seems a game built around a bug. (Quote from a friend of mine.)

Anyway, I played all the TES except the first, and I'm not gonna buy this new one. Too much marketing, overvalution etc.

JoeyD473
11-13-2011, 11:36 PM
I haven't played it yet because I also got into the SW ToR stress test this weekend, but from what little i saw it is a PC to console port, not teh other way. My copy also came with an awesome map.

eViLe_eAgLe
11-14-2011, 12:03 AM
Its really good so far except for a few minor ones.. Like hitting someone in the head with a axe and blood spurting from their crotch, much better then Oblivion but the PC could be better, so I play it on Xbox. But its still worth it to just gauck at and the combat if you can handle the interface.

Lukc
11-14-2011, 04:41 AM
Ok, in the words of my friend:

"The first day, I was, like, this is totally FTW.
The second day I was down to FT
By the third day I was feeling F...
By the fourth I had gotten to Fu..."

I tried it a bit more, and I've got some gripes, mostly about the interface, since it's a pretty straight xbox-to-PC port. The interface, I've mentioned. Horrible. Horrible horrible. Even with the first patch, the world map keeps on moving my cursor around to "help me", since I obviously have an inaccurate mouse.

On the other hand, without any kind of aim assistance, shooting with a bow is ridiculously hard when something is moving. No comparison with the difficulty of swinging a sword at all. The weapons seem to follow the same system from Morrowind (I skipped Oblivion), where you basically have a mace, a sword and an axe, and two-handed versions of those. Which gets a bit old.

The animations get boring, particularly the walking and jumping of the character just DOES NOT compare with what you see in, say Assassin's Creed II (the fluid motion of that guy is just ridiculous). If I see another frog jump, I'm going to be ... hmm ... miffed.

No minimap and nothing to help you find quest-givers. Not even a little glowy sign over their heads. This is annoying. The world-map and the local maps are NOT GOOD - which is something that needs emphasis on this forum, of all places. Particularly in towns, I never know where I am, who I'm supposed to find or where. It's fun for a bit, but after a while I'd like at least an option to just point me in the right direction. Also, the quest-givers move around ... so ... you complete the quest, go look for the jarl (local lord) and ... his wife is sitting on the throne and he's not there. There's no option to ASK anyone, "Where be yon jarl, good thrall?". No. The NPCs don't give a sh** where the jarl is. In the end, I find him in my room in the inn. That was a really weird one, no two ways about it.

But I've only played it on two days, so ... it might get worse. :S

Preypacer
11-14-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm playing it on PC and, after about 30 minutes or so to get the basics of the interface down, I'm having no trouble at all with it. I'm kinda surprised at how many people are noting issues with the interface. There are short-cut keys for pretty much everything you need to do, and you can assign them besides that, such as assigning items in your Favorites list to 1-8, etc. I swap between weapons and/or spells pretty swiftly while in combat, etc.

Aside from that, I'm freaking loving it so far. The farther in I get, the more I see and do, the more I'm loving it. Mileage will vary I guess.

I tried it a bit more, and I've got some gripes, mostly about the interface, since it's a pretty straight xbox-to-PC port. The interface, I've mentioned. Horrible. Horrible horrible. Even with the first patch, the world map keeps on moving my cursor around to "help me", since I obviously have an inaccurate mouse.

Can't say I've had that issue at all. The map screen is pretty intuitive and easy to use in my experience. Again.. mileage may vary on that, of course. Though I typically move it around with the keys instead of the mouse, so maybe that's why.

On the other hand, without any kind of aim assistance, shooting with a bow is ridiculously hard when something is moving. No comparison with the difficulty of swinging a sword at all. The weapons seem to follow the same system from Morrowind (I skipped Oblivion), where you basically have a mace, a sword and an axe, and two-handed versions of those. Which gets a bit old.

I've always found unassisted range combat to be tougher than close-range melee... primarily because it's far easier to hit something that's 2 feet in front of you and probably hitting you as well, than something that is farther away and moving. That said, I really like the unassisted ranged combat... I have to either get in close enough without them seeing me and then get a shot or two off, which knocks a respectable amount of health off right off the bat, unless they're a lot tougher than me. Usually the first one will leave them momentarily "dazed" before they start coming at you, which leaves time, usually, for two good shots; which is sometimes enough to kill them so the fight is over before it's really begun.

If I don't get them in the first couple shots, then it's a matter of leading them with my bow and timing it to try and hit them, which I enjoy far more than assisted targeting. It puts me more in control of where my shots are going, instead of letting the game "help me" with them.

Of course, after a point, I don't even bother with the bow anymore and pull out the sword and shield to finish them off that way, which is a lot of fun, too, with the ability to block using the shield and, having your first Shout, being able to knock them back if you need a moment to gather yourself, heal yourself, etc.

The use of potions and such I find to be really useful, too. I've won a couple fights I'd have otherwise lost (but were still close) due to having them handy. I don't just mean health or mana potions, but ones that mitigate the effects of cold-based attacks temporarily, etc...

My one complaint would be that there could be more of a sense of "contact" when fighting. It feels a bit "airy" to me.

The animations get boring, particularly the walking and jumping of the character just DOES NOT compare with what you see in, say Assassin's Creed II (the fluid motion of that guy is just ridiculous). If I see another frog jump, I'm going to be ... hmm ... miffed.

Two different games, two different developers. I'm sure you could find things in Assassin's Creed that you feel aren't as well done as they could be, compared to other games, etc.

I'm okay with the run and walk animations. The jumps... eh... I can take them or leave them.

No minimap and nothing to help you find quest-givers. Not even a little glowy sign over their heads. This is annoying. The world-map and the local maps are NOT GOOD - which is something that needs emphasis on this forum, of all places. Particularly in towns, I never know where I am, who I'm supposed to find or where. It's fun for a bit, but after a while I'd like at least an option to just point me in the right direction. Also, the quest-givers move around ... so ... you complete the quest, go look for the jarl (local lord) and ... his wife is sitting on the throne and he's not there. There's no option to ASK anyone, "Where be yon jarl, good thrall?". No. The NPCs don't give a sh** where the jarl is. In the end, I find him in my room in the inn. That was a really weird one, no two ways about it.

I think you've been spoiled :).

Thank GOD there's no !'s or other objects over their heads, in my opinion.

The TES games are about immersing you in a world, not guiding you along in a game. They're very much about the journey. The idea is to choose your own path, seek out your own adventures, talk to people, see what they have to say.. help them out, or don't help them out, etc. That's the core difference between the TES games and many others out there now. It's one of the few that hasn't resorted to all-out hand-holding and "color-by-numbers" style quest progress... I, for one love it that way.

As for finding the locations for quests ,etc... The game does give you those indications on the map, in myriad ways. You have to make sure you're tracking them, but it absolutely does. In fact, if there's a location you need to go to for an active quest, it will show an icon on your compass, it'll show as a slightly pulsing icon on the world map, it'll show on the local map where to go, there will be an icon on the door you need to enter/exit to get to the location, and there will be an icon over the NPC you need to talk to once you've located them. There's quite a lot of guidance in that regard. I located an NPC I need entirely on one occasion by following those, before I had a better grasp of where everything was.

As for NPCs moving around, I think that's awesome as well. I remember coming into town a couple times early morning, to see a NPC walking from their home to their business and getting their work day started. NPCs aren't just static quest dispensers standing around idle, waiting for you to come up and help them. They have lives of their own, responsibilities, problems, etc.

But I've only played it on two days, so ... it might get worse. :S

Well if you're going into it looking for things to make it seem worse... you'll probably find them.

moutarde
11-14-2011, 09:56 PM
I've been playing it pretty much non-stop since release :P Yes, it's a console-to-PC port, but so was Oblivion. I can live with that.

IMO, Morrowind was (and probably still is) the best of the Elder Scrolls games, but Skyrim is definitely better than Oblivion from what I've seen so far, though I havn't advanced the main quest too far, so hopefully there's nothing like "Clear 10 oblivion gates to advance to the next part of the main quest." Dragons seem kind of weak. Giants are tougher to kill than a dragon. The in-game main map is HORRIBLE, but it comes with a nice printed map that's pretty decent. Wouldn't win a challenge here, but still pretty good :) Playing as a mage is a lot more feasible than in the previous games. The are plenty of perks and equipment that you can get to make mana management much, much easier. Warrior is the same as ever, pretty easy going. Have yet to try a stealth character though, so that remains to be seen. Also, apparently there's a very amusing bug, where if you put a bucket on somebody's head, it will break their line of sight to everything nearby, meaning you can freely steal and murder in front of said bucker-wearer :)

Engris
11-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Stop complaining about console-to-PC Port issues and get a PS3! Hehe...no seriously, it's amazing on PS3 XD

Jaxilon
11-15-2011, 02:48 AM
I haven't played it but I do own a few controllers for my PC so I'm just not getting how console/pc is a problem. Buy a good controller you like, and then program the buttons to what you need sit back and go to town.

Let us know what you think Ramah if you decide to go for it.

moutarde
11-15-2011, 04:08 AM
Stop complaining about console-to-PC Port issues and get a PS3! Hehe...no seriously, it's amazing on PS3 XD

My wife gets to play it on the PS3, I get to play it on the PC ;D If it were any other game, I probably would prefer to play it on the PS3, but the PC versions of the Elder Scrolls games get the construction kit, which means I'll be able to tweak and refine the game to my heart's delight, fixing anything I don't like about the game. Also, after a few months, there will be about a bajillion mods to choose from to play with as well :)

Ramah
11-15-2011, 05:04 AM
I haven't played it but I do own a few controllers for my PC so I'm just not getting how console/pc is a problem. Buy a good controller you like, and then program the buttons to what you need sit back and go to town.

Let us know what you think Ramah if you decide to go for it.

Will do, Jax. I'm pretty much sure I'll get it but I'm glad I've managed to resist so far. :)

This thread seems to confirm everything else I've read about it. Rubbish ported interface for the PC. Some bugs. Good game. I've read that the load times are a lot faster on the PC and the graphics were supposed to be better but there are a load of people moaning about textures being really low res when up close. Meh.

I'm also glad that they haven't started putting exclamation marks above questgivers heads. In my opinion they already dumbed it down too much in Oblivion by making the compass and map display where you are supposed to be going. Sounds like they've carried that over to Skyrim. :s What's wrong with actually reading some instructions and then using that information to work stuff out yourself? For Oblivion I downloaded some mods that took all that crap out of the interface but as I never got into the game anyway they just took up hdd space.
One of the things I disliked about Oblivion was the really rubbish character facial graphics. I preferred Morrowind. The graphics in Oblivion were supposed to be so much better but it had these cold, lifeless eyes in the middle of stretched, shiny faces... they looked awful. Combined with the fact that the so-called AI on NPCs made them just stand around or just move between two points mechanically totally ruined them for me. The Morrowind NPCs were no smarter but somehow had more charm.
Are the NPCs in Skyrim better? Graphically and AI wise?

Incidentally, I watched the trailer for Skyrim the other day and hearing that rousing Elder Scrolls theme music really made me want to reinstall Morrowind. :)

Lukc
11-15-2011, 05:09 AM
@Preypacer: don't get me wrong, a lot of things are really good, but there's a few bugs that really ... erm ... bug me :)

@Ramah: I think the NPCs look a bit better, yeah. There's still a few silly, lifeless things, but in general they're fine (though I play from a 3rd person pov mostly ... so ...)

As an aside, a simple way to level up: get a lot of leather, cut up strips at the tanner and start manufacturing ... leather bracers. 2 strips, 1 leather and you raise your smithing score. My goal right now is to get up to 100 smithing, to make me some dragon armor, since I've got so many bones and scales lying around the house, it's like a charnel house :D

PS - I also eventually found out how to put quest markers up on the map and compass.

PPS - And, I found out, eventually, how to put things into containers. That was a struggle! I really wish they had a nice simple mouse interface, like, say Fallout 3: New Vegas.

PPPS - And I recommend using the console to change the field of view a bit, to get a wider view in 1st person. The default just feels really constricted to me. I'm running it on fov 90 now.

bartmoss
11-15-2011, 05:23 AM
Bought skyrim on 11/11 and put in about 30h of gameplay since then (which is an insane amount for me these days).

Well, from what I've seen of Skyrim at a friend's place, the thing that struck me right off the bat is that it's a console-to-PC port, which means that the mouse is not used very well in the interfaces ... for example, you have to scroll through menu items instead of just clicking them. But I haven't tried any more of it so far.

Yes, this is an issue. But frankly, you get used to it fairly quickly. I still hope they fix it (there are some things I don't think are intended).

Just remember that WASD is your friend, and TAB exits and you should be good. Everything else is usually displayed in the lower left corner.

As for the game in general, I find it highly addictive. First good "exploration" game I have seen since Fallout 3 (yes, I know). There are some issues I have wit it - generally, there are not enough options in dialogs. I mean, I don't need Bioware-Style storylines, but if I someone sends thugs my way, and I find the contract on their bodies, signed by NPC X, at least let me talk to NPC X and either threaten him or pay some money or whatever.

Dragons are the best I have EVER seen in a game, they behave (mostly) like you'd imagine a dragon to behave and they are scary as ****.

I didn't get overly far in the storyline so can't really comment on later parts of the game.

Oh, yeah. Graphics are AWESOME even on my way-underpowered rig, so this should be a GREAT foundation for modders. I have an idea or two that'd I'd love to work on but I really don't think I will find the time. ;)

MapGoon
11-15-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm loving every minute of it.

Lukc
11-16-2011, 04:01 AM
Well, my friend decided that the graphics weren't good enough, since by default, as a console port, the game is set to use 2gb of RAM and no more, the gamma is set wrong for HDR graphics, etc. ... so he's taken off into the Skyrim modding forums and I've been playing it a bit more.

And what have I been doing? To hell with the storyline ... we have armor and weapon smithing! ... a few hours later and I've gained 10 levels smithing and am equipped in full legendary dragon plate with a legendary war axe. Oh, I can level by holding my shield up to a wolf naow? Ok, there's a show I wanted to watch anyway ... ... a few hours later I wander off and kill a giant in three blows, losing almost no health.

Gods, I wish there was a classic character sheet, so I could see how much more hard-core the character is now than at level 1 ... hitpoints wise the difference isn't so big, but there's a number that says my armor is now around 500.

Lol.

bardsandsages
11-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Been playing it on the XBox 360 and enjoying it. I'm obsessed with smithing for some reason (though I have not gotten to the dragon armor level yet...but I will. Oh yes. I will). Mostly just been wandering around and exploring and ignoring the main storyline (I'll get to saving the world...eventually. Right now there is a cave over there I need to loot). The bow combat sucks without targeting. But I've generally always been a up-close-nd-bludgeoning sort anyway. I use Lydia as bait to bring the dragons in since she uses a bow, and then pounce on it when it lands. I'm assuming we haven't seen the "big" dragons yet because the dragons I've encountered so far were relatively easy. I'm guessing as the story progresses the nastier ones will start making appearances.

Yandor
11-23-2011, 02:20 AM
I've spent the little time I've had between work and school/hw (mapping has taken a back seat for the moment sadly...) but I love it, the interface took some time to get use to, but after a day or so of playing it, I realized oh wait I'm on the computer and I bet people already have mods out. I go search and look what I find, all sorts of goodies. Higher res textures for the dragons and humanoid races, you can hard-wire the controls if you really want (a tutorial for that). Also the 2gb can be changed to run at a 4gb or whatever. And all sorts of other stuff out there that enhance the game 100%. So needless to say the only issue I've seen with it so far is the interface, which is simple to learn.... As for the range stuff, I love it, but than again I've always been a huge fan of the "twitch" style of fighting, like in Mount and Blade, and other games that follow suit. Thing is though I find myself using a bow, and magic a lot more as the game goes on, I use the sword to deal with large fights and other situations that require impossible angles to where you can't use ranged stuff... (hmm sounds much like real life...) I think they hit it right on the head if you ask me, we all have played way to many "arcade" style games where all you do is put your self in the right place point the right direction and mash buttons, its about time they made games a challenge. Oh and as for dragons, some are easy, others are a pain the in the ass, I've had to reload 15 times on a dang blood dragon when I was on at a lower level, eventually had to use town guards to help take it down.... But I'd say its worth it, its sucked away many of my hours that I should of been doing hw =D

Ramah
11-23-2011, 07:27 AM
Well I ended up getting it but haven't really spent much time on it yet. The interface itself isn't as bad as I was expecting from what everyone has been saying and I can certainly live with it. The thing that gets me the most is the damn mouse responsiveness. I've applied all the ini fixes I can find so far but it still isn't how I would like. Moving the mouse across a menu or the map is like dragging a piece of cotton through custard. :s

Anyway... the missus bought me Skyward Sword as a christmas present but gave it to me early so as far as I am concerned Skyrim can go take a running jump until I've had my Zelda fix. :D

moorcrys
11-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Bought it and have played about 10-15 hours on it. I'm having a blast. I loved Morrowind and Oblivion as well - this seems to be much more in the style of Oblivion but with improvements. The interface is simpler and character progression is more streamlined. The quests seem more interesting with more surprises as well. I'm told everything in Skyrim has been hand-done, from object placement in Dungeons to the outdoor maps etc., unlike Oblivion... and I think it shows.

I've been sneaking around sniping and casting illusions from day one, then summoning daedra to defend me when things get dangerous. I've only scratched the surface of the main plot and the world in general. I've spent 90% of my time in and around the town of Whiterun.

BTW, bow use is definitely hard on moving targets, but I believe it's on purpose - there are traits you can pick up on the archery tree that slow targets down when you zoom in on them while wielding a bow. I assume they felt it was a little too easy in Oblivion and made it more difficult in Skyrim. There are also traits for trained bow users which give a 50/50 shot to stagger a target when you hit them and/or give you a chance to paralyze a target with a hit. I will say that I'm bow-focused in the game and haven't taken the slow-when-zoom traits yet and I'm doing well enough. I get creamed if the two-handed swordsman gets to me, but usually I'm well-hidden and sneak attacking -- I also a conjured minion at the ready to help me out if I don't do enough damage with my first strike to seriously wound my target.

Cheers,
Moorcrys

Alex
11-27-2011, 12:37 AM
I will be getting it for Christmas on PS3.

I am told it is an incredible game you can get lost in -- and I love worlds like that. If I can travel and find new things every time or at least appreciate the beauty of the world, then I will definitely love this game. It was tough picking between getting Zelda or Skyrim for X-mas. I really love the Zelda games. :(

Lukc
11-27-2011, 05:05 AM
What I really love (slight sarcasm) about Skyrim is how my character can decapitate enemies with her mace. I'm not sure about her name, I just called her Lady Whitesnake.

moorcrys
11-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Hah, yeah. It's pretty cool to see where my arrows strike. I'm always excited when I get a head-shot, although it's funny when I snipe someone from the shadows and they start running around the room saying, "What was that? I thought I heard something..." with an arrow sticking out of their forehead. The game isn't perfect but it's a heck of a lot of fun. It IS cool when another person stumbles across one of my victims and crouches down long enough to tell the body he'll avenge the dead guy's death. I'm in the middle of vampire hunting right now.

Beoner
11-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Well, Im playing Skyrim and it seems pretty nice, my character is level 14 but considering that this is my second save (i had to start a new one, my first was at 14 as well) I've already played a lot of the game.

As I'm playing on PC, the only thing I think its bad is the fact the controls on PC version are really bad, sometimes you can use the mouse, sometimes no, you have to use the keyboard, who have already played the PC version know what I'm talking about, they transfered a game from PS3 to PC and just changed the controls making it a little strange to play.

I basicly didnt do much of the main quest, I'm doing mostly side quests, specially of the Companions, and its nice to become a werewolf :)

Antharion
11-28-2011, 01:05 PM
After ~100h i really like the atmosphere, the number of quests and the skillsystem. But its really annoying that the improvement of your equip is tied to enchanting/smithing and and so far i've found no(!) item which is better than the crafted ones. Combined with the skillsystem this means that on the longterm completing a quest rewards you with nothing. Even gold has no value at all because you can sell a iron dagger with a banishing enchant (the one which banishes deadra up to a certain level) for 1.5k :(
Probably i'll try a character without craftingskills soon, lets see if this helps.

What i also miss is the ability too create your own spells, i've played a firemage up to lvl 30 or so, and he has hmm something like 3 offensive longrange fire spells, of which one is really weak, one way to expensive without craftet gear(4*25% reduced mana cost - but this again destroys gear development :( ), so that you end up all the time casting fireballs.

My second char was a assasin(sneak/bow) which is really fun most of the time, but lately i experiencend some bugs with sneak attacks :(

Fights again dragons are awesome except in the beginning, but after the 20th they get boring, i'd like some more abilities, and not only breath attacks.

But all in all its certainly the best game i've played since dragon age 1, and way better than oh-i'm-lvl20-and-killed-by-a-rat-oblivion :)

Seeria
12-06-2011, 03:13 AM
This thread made me have to... HAVE to buy the pc version to see for myself. Comes in tomorrow..

krasimir
12-06-2011, 05:40 AM
I am waiting for the mod community to fix the porting to PC. A friend says he found it better than Fallout 3 which is saying something about the game.

ravells
01-07-2012, 08:48 PM
I've succumbed and bought it. I'm just wandering around gawping at the fantastic lighting, modelling etc. The cinematic feel of the game is great. I'm playing it just for the rpg rather than gaming sense and trying to get 'in character' rather than gaming the game. For example, I spend a lot of time walking rather than running, it feels right and there's so much to see. It's only day 1 though, I suppose they throw a lot of goodies at you early in the game. Absolutely loving it. The ported interface, once I got used to it, doesn't really bother me at all.

Alex
01-07-2012, 10:02 PM
I have been playing this on my PS3 for a long time now. Only a level 18, but nothing stands before my magic so far. :P I never really liked the Fallout engines or whatnot, was hard to control for me (I am a very old school player, like PSX and NES/SNES), so I was concerned I would not like it or get use to it. Glad I did, very good game, especially the music. :33

I got my sister attached to it as well. She's obsessed with it now (she is a Khajiit). :lol:

JoeyD473
01-08-2012, 11:20 PM
I love Skyrim. The only thing I haven't done anything on the main quest other the the initial get out of the keep while the dragon attacks. The only problem I have so far is there is a bug of some sort which is preventing me from getting the quests for a house in Markoth (yeah I joined the drinking contest and ended up there and haven't left yet (at level 47))

I've succumbed and bought it. I'm just wandering around gawping at the fantastic lighting, modelling etc. The cinematic feel of the game is great. I'm playing it just for the rpg rather than gaming sense and trying to get 'in character' rather than gaming the game. For example, I spend a lot of time walking rather than running, it feels right and there's so much to see. It's only day 1 though, I suppose they throw a lot of goodies at you early in the game. Absolutely loving it. The ported interface, once I got used to it, doesn't really bother me at all.

ravells
01-09-2012, 07:58 AM
The odd thing about it is how people are quite happy for you to go into private areas of the their houses. That should require some sort of 'sneak' skill.

Alex
01-11-2012, 03:02 AM
Oh? I haven't noticed that. I generally get caught by the people who own the house or guards if I try. Takes a lot of sneaking for me. :P

Lukc
01-11-2012, 05:44 AM
Once I watched this vid on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBiNx749Zw I was able to stop playing Skyrim and just laugh at the whole experience :)

Warning - the video has some grown-up language and swedish accents.

Skari-dono
01-11-2012, 08:02 AM
I bought my PS3 primarily to play Skyrim and I am not sorry I did. I didn't get much time to play it at first but I did little else during the holidays. Now I'm lvl 43 (-ish) and I still haven't finished but one of the questlines. Did have a bit of a problem with the autosave since the game froze due to the large save file, but other than that the game has been little else but awesome.

ravells
01-16-2012, 08:10 AM
I'm not going to be around for awhile as I have been claimed by Skyrim. I just can't believe how well put together this game is! I'd give it a 9.9 out of 10 for my experience to date. I really do love how it works for the casual gamer and nothing (yet) is too hard to overcome without days of gameplay or having ninja reflexes honed by years of practice. But it gives you just enough of a challenge to feel that it's not a walkover. The storylines are the best I've ever seen in a computer game (which isn't saying that much since I haven't played any for a long time and am a bit out of date).

This review (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/nov/10/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-review) pretty much says it all.

But the largest cost that Skyrim wishes to exact from players is that which is measured in human hours: time. And given the volume of content Bethesda's game holds, preparations ahead of playing may be necessary.

So, with that in mind, may your boss believe you when you phone in claiming you have the plague, may your significant other be tolerant and understanding, and may your friends know you well enough not to make enquiries with the police if they don't hear from you in over a month.
Skyrim awaits, adventurers. All it asks in return is your life …

Lukc
01-17-2012, 09:55 AM
See you in a week or so!

JoeyD473
01-17-2012, 10:00 AM
I wish my work didn't get in the way of me playing Skyrim. I only get to play a few hours a week. Damn need to make money to pay bills

ravells
01-17-2012, 04:39 PM
I don't know whether to thank Ramah or curse him for getting me into Skyrim!!!

guyanonymous
01-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Do any of you know what, if any, map making options there are using the Skyrim engine?

korillian
02-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Game play is better than previous versions and storyline is fairly predictable and become challenging if set higher difficulty levels.
However, the scenery is awesome. Walking from one end of the map to another provides some great graphics /views that just do not come across on the high level map.
Town layouts are fairly basic but does attempt to captue different styles. Maybe a challenge sometime to try to map one of the towns in a unique way....

Alex
02-21-2012, 03:29 AM
@ravells:
Thank ramah. Also, yes, that review sums it up very well. lol

@Lukc:
That was hilarious. And I watched that video when you posted, but I forgot to comment, so I'll do it now: thanks, now I am training a Khajiit to do that. xD

Lukc
02-26-2012, 04:04 AM
@Alex - I was tempted to play the game again to do just that ... but ... I couldn't :D

Alex
02-28-2012, 11:38 PM
Oh you were? xD May I ask why not? They are pretty great dragon killing machines. :D

ravells
03-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Hooray! I've finished Skyrim! Well all the major plot lines anyway. Unfortunately, after finishing Skyrim I discovered Battlefield Play 4 Free, but that's OK, FPS's are like fast food for me. I have to have a fix once every year or two and then I can go without for a long time afterwards.

Back to mapping and matters Guild like!

Lukc
03-14-2012, 07:26 AM
I've recently discovered Crusader Kings II by Paradox.

Die, you poxy hunchbacked usurping pretender half-brother of mine, die! The kingdoms of Ireland and Scotland will not be yours!

That describes what typically happens when the old king dies ...

JoeyD473
03-14-2012, 09:50 AM
I have literally done nothing towards the major story yet. I got into a drinking contest when I first entered Whiterun, ended up in Marketh and haven't been back to Whiterun since, despite being level 58, Thane of Marketh and Archmage of the Mage's College

Hooray! I've finished Skyrim! Well all the major plot lines anyway. Unfortunately, after finishing Skyrim I discovered Battlefield Play 4 Free, but that's OK, FPS's are like fast food for me. I have to have a fix once every year or two and then I can go without for a long time afterwards.

Back to mapping and matters Guild like!

ravells
03-14-2012, 03:46 PM
I've recently discovered Crusader Kings II by Paradox.

Die, you poxy hunchbacked usurping pretender half-brother of mine, die! The kingdoms of Ireland and Scotland will not be yours!

That describes what typically happens when the old king dies ...

Don't DO this to me!!!

@ Joey, Blimey...so have you not got into any of the Thieve's Guild and dark brotherhood stuff?

loogie
03-14-2012, 04:46 PM
First off.. I'm going to say I've never truely played Skyrim, or even Oblivion, in more than a... got past the intro, made a character... wandered for a bit.. and then quit.... Like some others, I found that Morrowind was probably my favourite TES game so far, even tho it had a ton of things wrong with it as well.

To me TES is getting into a groove, and its not a groove I tend to agree with. Combat, which most people rave about, too me is just like it's always been... robotic... I mean, sure it's made improvements over oblivion, but to me the feel of the system just feels mechanical and rigid...

First, combat feels like you have a robotic arms.. you pick up [enter weapon here] and then it plays the animation, same animation, regaurdless of even what arm you are swinging (as in wielding the same weapon in your right and left hand are pretty much mirror images of eachother) while it works ok, it sure removes me from the feel of the game. I'm not a fan of the direction swing type style.. since i feel you should be able to slash right while travelling left fluidly, not by going right first to "start" the swing... reminds me of zelda.. i keep thinking of those laser eyes that you'd have to make sure you were facing by using your charge move to face them... not ideal. I can't say much more tho, other than it feels wrong to me.

I just remembered a example of how much the feeling of combat does for me... Dark Messiah was a very similar looking fprpg, only without the open world concept... but the combat was in my opinion, head and sholdiers above oblivion, and as i can see, skyrim as well... Weapons feel like your wielding them.. its got he same general controlls, the the animations are fluid, the attacls have just that extra special something that makes them more fun... it's a very small different, but in the end it makes combat feel much more realistic.. your not swinging robotically with each hand, like its detached from everyhting else your doing.. your swinging, moving your body around... balancing, kicking, getting fluid fast movements with daggers you can't get with swords... it's a different feel alltogether..

Second is magic... I don't think I'll ever like magic in an rpg that treats them like an item.. as in you "equip" heal and then you can cast the heal spell in your hand... Skyrim has taken it a bit farther, allowing you to equip a spell in each hand... but to me it feels like they're trying to wierld 2 items at once to get both effects... for a worlds magic to immerse me, i find it needs to be more than "pick from 30 spells"... it needs to have some flavour.. i'm thinking concepts like a rune system like dungeon master 2, where you pick your runes before hand to cast... DM2 had a great concept... there were.. i think 4 runes in a spell... the first was power.. depending on what you choose identifies how much mana each further rune cost... after that, they were all concepts.. the rest of them had different combinations for different things.. you could cast simple spells that were just 2 runes.. (like light for example).. or something more complex, like fireball.. which starts out like a light spell, but adds 2 more runes... they even made the location of the runes important, for instance fireball's runes were all in the same location.. so to select those 4 runes, you just click the 3rd rune from the left for each choice.. this was done because it was used in combat, so you wanted to be able to cast them quickly...

Haha, geez this post is getting huge! :P but I can't help but think of 2 different magic systems.. dnd (up to 3rd ed at least) treats magic as items... they are finished products that you "ready" and cast... bang... and your done... if you compare it to a bit more robust system... i'm thinking a game like HARP by Iron Crown Enterprises... it treats magic spells as an idea... but gives you options to increase their effectiveness, or even change their uses to a degree... HARP spells have a base spell, for instance, firebolt... this spell has an effect (in this case it shoots a small bolt of fire), but it also has "scalar" options, which give your more control over your spell... these scalars can change size, power, add extra effects, etc at the cost of more spell points.. so for instance you are able to cast a fireball by casting firebolt... and adding a scalar to increase its size, and then adding the scalar to make it explode on contact... this concept is a bit more robust than dnd, and i think it adds a lot to magic that rpgs kind of require...

enough ranting.. but in the essence, to me, skyrim likes to comment that they are the leaders in open worlds... when in reality, they are just like all the others.. they have a linear story, with some side quests... they jsut happen to work harder at making those side quests more insteresting... while thats great.. its not an open world... I think rpg's like this aren't going to move forward quickly until they start thinking differently, something which TES does not do well.. they usually just remake the same game with new graphics in a new area...

To me, when your remaking the engine you should be working to make it better.. not just slightly altering it from the last... I think "open world" games need to move away from any form of a storyline... I think instead they should strive more on making the world more dynamic... for instance.. imagine a world that lives by itself... without player interaction... a world that isn't just waiting for user interaction... but is actually "living" by itself and just has to interact with the player...

An example of such would be if you were to goto the local armory in whatever city you are in... the types of armor you find at this shop are directly populated based on the materials the smith has at his disposal, if there is a copper mine near he may have copper armor.. if he's had people killing wolves and selling him the pelts he'll have wolf-skin leather armor.. if the city is trading for iron he may have iron armor... supply and demand would indicate the prices.. so when something happens like a user decides to grind wolves and sell their pelts for money, the price of wolf armor will go down, since there is so much available.. In game this would allow things like hijacking or destroying caravans to severly hamper a cities production, or the ability to have famines natually occur if say farms for some reason lose their crops... city populations would be dependant on what they can support, as if they lose land or food etc, people will leave..

Many people may think these concepts are just to involved to track in games, that we don't have the power to track these sort of things in a pc game.... But there is already a great example... dwarf fortress... the recently updated game tracks many of these things.. for instance.. city's are dynamicall generated, their populations are a result of how much food they have, and their exports are tracked all over the world. It records 100's of years of history, and tracks the events that happen to every person place or thing in the world... I understand that this game is ascii and thus probably allows more processor power to normal processes.. but in the end even a select few of these concepts in a real game would bring it much more alive than anything so far... to me it's just another IP so full of itself that it's lost it's ability to innovate, since they already see what they have as "the best thing possible"

Finally, I do believe that in many cases we feel what we want.. and that if you were to be a fan of the TES games you're that much more likely to play and enjoy their look and feel, where as if you have lost that enjoyment of their games your're going to find more flaws then you would probably find normally.

JoeyD473
03-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Not yet, but I am going to be heading to Rifken soon so that should get em the Thieves Guild stuff.

I've also earned a whole slew of Dragon Shouts, but can't use them because you don't fight dragons until you get through the first one in the main story

Don't DO this to me!!!

@ Joey, Blimey...so have you not got into any of the Thieve's Guild and dark brotherhood stuff?

Jaxilon
03-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Ha! I did some of that but there were some things they wanted me to do that were just too dastardly...I've a mind to go in there and take them all out.

ravells
03-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Funny you should say that Jax. I distinctly remember having a moral dilemma before reminding myself that it was just a game. Then I became terribly heartless and killed lots of innocents.

**** HIGHLIGHT THE SPACE BELOW TO SEE MORE (SPOILER AHEAD)*****

The saddest/funniest one was the bard assassination. A contract was put out on him because his singing was so bad. When you meet the guy, he's an OK sort of bloke that you feel a bit sorry for...

Engris
03-14-2012, 08:44 PM
First off.. I'm going to say I've never truely played Skyrim, or even Oblivion, in more than a... got past the intro, made a character... wandered for a bit.. and then quit.... Like some others, I found that Morrowind was probably my favourite TES game so far, even tho it had a ton of things wrong with it as well.......etc. etc.

Wasn't going to quote the whole thing. I don't mean to offend you sir, but I disagree with nearly every point you made in that post =/ While there are some small improvements that could be made, it is an absolutely epic game. First off, while it would be great if the combat wasn't as swingy arm thing like you said, I still find it very fun. You have to remember that they had to make this game translatable from console to keyboard (even though from what I've heard it sucks with keyboard). With magic, your rune system sounds interesting, but you can't make it too complicated just to cast a fireball. If it was like that, the dragon would nom your face before you put all the runes together in time =/ To me, the system of having the spell in your hand in Skyrim is excellent, it makes it simple and user friendly.
Now with the open world. Skyrim and other TES games are definitely not like other games. Yes they have a linear story line, but what's a game without some sort of main story (excluding sandbox games like Minecraft). Aside from the main story, you can do hundreds of other quests, or not even do quests. In Skyrim, you can go out and explore wherever you want, you can own a house, you can hunt deer, storm bandit fortresses, invade orc towns, become a master of smithing, and much more. Its not all about quests, its about freedom to interact however you wish in a world that also happens to quests in case you aren't feeling spontaneous!
If open world games had no form of a storyline, then it wouldn't be the same. Bethesda could do that if they wanted, but it would be a completely different game. Sure there'd be many things to do, but how would they end up having a purpose? If theres no storyline, then where do you go when you don't feel like exploring, or fortress storming? It would be more of a sandbox game...
Now with the dynamic world...Skyrim is actually quite a dynamic world. The NPCs do in fact move around when you arent nearby. Some travel between towns at random times. Some go picking flowers in the forest! (Some of the alchemist NPCs) Now, while your ideas about the armor and goods available based on nearby resources are great ideas, it would make things overly complicated. Sometimes, even though ideas like that are great for making a world more dynamic, it really just makes the game more complicated and less fun.

To me, you just need to play into the game further before you judge every flaw you find in it. Skyrim really is a fantastic game. No game is perfect, you just have to enjoy it for what it is. /rant over :)

Jaxilon
03-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Yeah ravs, I have a real issue in planting evidence on an innocent just because he's kicking your butt in business. Even though it's a game I just can't bring myself to do it. Plus, like you, I fear that if I go there I'll become so heartless I'll just start mugging everyday farmers for the thrill of it. The worst thing I did so far was kill an old woman but she had it coming I'd say. She was horrible.

ravells
03-14-2012, 09:04 PM
I think I know the old woman you mean!!

The whole moral thing is one of the beauties of the game - it really does mess with your head.

Scipio
03-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Hello! I've also been playing TES since Morrowind, and I have to say that while Skyrim is a quite enjoyable game, as a bit of an old-school RPG junkie I find the mechanics (drastically simplified since Morrowind) to be lacking. However, I understand the reason (to appeal to the masses) that such a direction has been taken, and given the depth of the world I don't believe the game suffers too much for it. That said, combat has definitely seen some improvement, and crafting is an example of a great addition to the series introduced in Skyrim- even though it could probably be a bit more fleshed out. Likewise, I would have hoped that Skyrim would move beyond the contrived "one player house per town" design found in Oblivion, to something a bit more interactive. As far as to Tamriel's relevance to worldbuilding discussion goes, I think that as a world it represents a mix of some good and a few bad decisions/qualities. Let's see... what else to say... my character was a thief/mage Argonian named Reptar, and married Ysolda.