PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at mapping

hecatoncheires
11-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Hello guys.
First post here, and first map too.
I can't draw, so i used some brushes provided by Ramah here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?8095-Hand-drawn-map-elements)

Hope to get soma advice :D

hecatoncheires
11-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Hello guys,
First post here, and first map too.
I never tought i could do a nice map before, but thanks to this forum i got motivated enought to try!
I cant draw, so i used the brushes provided by Ramah.
Hope to get some advice...

furiousuk
11-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Wow, great first map! Well done!

I like the textures, there is maybe slightly too much contrast between the light areas and the dark areas for me but that's just personal preference rather than anything else.

You do need to have a look at some of your rivers though, there are a few river splits. Rivers normally converge rather than split and where they do split they normally very quickly come back together again. In areas of reliable flooding (or semi-reliable) you might see a river split and converge many times during the non-flooded times but the splits will tend to be confined to the flooded width of the river i.e. along the river bed.

It's still a cracking map and a very impressive work

ChicagoMay
11-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Ooo, I love the mountains and the trees, are those the brushes you mentioned? If so, where can I find them :P

Also loving the texture in the land and waters. Will you be adding more to this map? If so, can't wait to see more. If not, can't wait to see what you draw up next!

ravells
11-13-2011, 02:11 PM
I like the colours you've used. I think the rivers might be doing some funky stuff like splitting downstream though. What sort of scale is the map supposed to represent? If it is a very small scale then you might want to make the rivers a lot thinner. Also it might be worth looking at making the tree symbols smaller relative to the mountains, but that's just a matter of juggling and what works best for you.

Great first map and great start! Have some rep to help you on your way!

furiousuk
11-13-2011, 02:36 PM
The forum seems to have eaten my earlier post, but I basically agreed with ravells.

It's certainly a fantastic start

Ah, just realised what happened to my earlier post as there are 2 identical started threads going on here

ravells
11-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Thanks furious, threads merged.

Gan
11-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Nice first map, keep up the good work ;)

Kurui
11-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Fantastic great start~ I too think the rivers are doing some strange things and might need some editing, but other than that I just love the structures of your land.

hecatoncheires
11-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks furious, threads merged.

yeah... sorry about that, i posted one time but it seemed to disapear, so i posted again...

hecatoncheires
11-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Ooo, I love the mountains and the trees, are those the brushes you mentioned? If so, where can I find them :P

Also loving the texture in the land and waters. Will you be adding more to this map? If so, can't wait to see more. If not, can't wait to see what you draw up next!

Thanks May! the brushes can be found here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?8095-Hand-drawn-map-elements)

I will certainly continue to work on this map and intend to use it on my Pathfinder game.

I will see what can be done about the rivers. I am not very happy with them too.
About the the scale, it is a regional map of a bay region around 7550 kmē. I want the trees and mountains to look disproportionate because this map will represent a real map hand drawn by a cartographer in the game world.

ChicagoMay
11-15-2011, 01:15 AM
Thanks May! the brushes can be found here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?8095-Hand-drawn-map-elements)

*drooling over brushes* Thanks! :)

rdanhenry
11-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Nice use of the brushes. I like the colors. It kind of has a "drawn with markers" feel, though, which is probably not what you were going for. River splits were something I noticed even in the thumbnail, but that's mostly been covered.