PDA

View Full Version : Roadside ambush

pasis
11-16-2011, 09:37 AM
This is a straight forward ambush setup I will be running in few weeks. I have seen this similar layout few years ago in some D&D product. I don't recall what it was, but it acted kind of a inspiration. Anyway this is my first attempt on battlemapping, so in few weeks I'll see how well or poorly it fits on running minis on it.

Attached are versions with and without the grid

EDIT: One new map added (the chasm) and I added all maps (with and without a grid) into this first message for convenience.

pasis
11-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Here is a new one. This time a bit higher on the hills. I really had hard times getting the elevation to this map and the dark areas are a bit too dark, but I think it's a good compromise.

furiousuk
11-18-2011, 01:42 PM
They look cracking, the depth you get on your maps is always fantastic so it's good to see it on a finer scale.

Some of the textures and blending on the windy road are just amazing!

Lukc
11-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Wow, this is really beautiful. Where did you get the tree textures? And the logs and so forth? Did you make them yourself?

pasis
11-18-2011, 02:49 PM
@furiousuk: thanks. Nice words are always...nice!

@Luck: The trees i have got long time ago and all I did was some minor editing. All the other textures are taken from my own fotos or have been created with various tools.

Steel General
11-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Nicely done!

tilt
11-21-2011, 09:42 AM
I think you're refering to "Keep on the Shadowfell", D&D adventure for 1-4th level :) ... very cool maps you've made pasis - as usual lovely textured :)

tancolni
11-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks. I really like what you've done here. The detail is fantastic. Already imported it to MapTool and drew in the VBL for my game next week. Getting ambushed by gnome enforcers. :)

pasis
11-21-2011, 11:36 AM
@Tilt: YES that was it. Quick seach via Google confirmed, you are right. It actually had hills on both sides of the road, but othervice I had remembered it pretty close.

@tancolni: Glad you liked it (and especually when it goes into use) and here is a new similar setup, but now crossing a river.

This time it took several days to create the new map as I really struggled with the river. Few times I was so close to give it up (especially when the river seemed to run uphill), but finally got it sorted up. Hope you like it. I have had my share of the rivers and won't be doing another one any time soon...

tilt
11-21-2011, 01:14 PM
nice .. and always good with a river encounter - pinning down people on one side or dividing the players on both sides :)

pasis
11-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Yes the setups are very widely used and simple and therefore easy to start from. :)

Matrix Sorcica
11-22-2011, 04:13 PM
They are beautiful!!

Any chance of getting the last two with grids? :)

tilt
11-23-2011, 03:42 AM
I really have no count of how often I've used the road map from Shadowfell for a random travel encounter - but its a lot ;)

pasis
11-23-2011, 09:09 AM
They are beautiful!!

Any chance of getting the last two with grids? :)

Sure thing. I will upload them shortly and I think I will edit my first post and add all versions there.

tilt
11-23-2011, 09:43 AM
nice one with the chasm too... I think I just have to sneak up and rep-slam you with my +15 mace of pretty cool repping ;)

Matrix Sorcica
11-23-2011, 04:26 PM
I really have no count of how often I've used the road map from Shadowfell for a random travel encounter - but its a lot ;) My group certainly thinks the King's Road must be the most dangerous road in the entire world, given how often they encounter enemies on that particular stretch :)

Matrix Sorcica
11-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Sure thing. I will upload them shortly and I think I will edit my first post and add all versions there. Thank you very much!

Conan
12-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Hello,
Great looking map.
Honestly,your work is very impressive.

May I ask if this is for a game,and if so what game?
And what software did you use?

I've used Photoshop over the years but have never even come close to what you've made here.

pasis
01-01-2012, 03:48 AM
These maps are not used in any commersial game, I make these just for fun. I will be using these in my homebrewn game I'm running. There is one more similar map where I combined these elements into one larger map if you want to take a look: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?16807
All these maps are made using photoshop CS4 and I wrote a quick guide to bumpmapping which is the baseground for all these maps: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?16688

Conan
01-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Thank-You for the response and the Links.
I did find the bumpmapping and have downloaded it.
The other map Three towers is also very impressive.

I've tried to make a map years ago and was fairly happy with it.
I have the itch to do more and will definatly be using your bumpmapping tutorial.
I love the effect it provides for Terrain.

I was curious if you share any of your Textures or Trees?
If not I certainly understand.I hope it's not rude to ask.
I am new here.

tilt
01-02-2012, 05:19 AM
conan - try looking in mapping resources, there are lots of stuff in there - also CG Textures have a lot and a general search on google will also give you textures to use. Just remember to check the copyright if you want to use the map in public. :)

dros
01-02-2012, 08:36 AM
very nice!

The Goblin's Lair
01-02-2012, 04:49 PM
pasis, these maps are top notch indeed. I actually had a friend that works in the IT field offer me a copy of CS4, you're making me want to take him up on it. Very nice work!

tilt
01-03-2012, 02:13 AM
pasis, these maps are top notch indeed. I actually had a friend that works in the IT field offer me a copy of CS4, you're making me want to take him up on it. Very nice work!

photoshop is a fantastic program for all your graphic needs - the only downside is the price tag :/ - of course if you work professionally with graphics for printing there is no getting around it, you need those CMYK capabilities :)

pasis
01-03-2012, 03:40 AM

Indeed the prices are really high and I had to rationalize the purchase to myself many times. I have not regret the decision.
Gimp is another option to go. I have not used Gimp too much but what I have understood (and seen the maps in this forum) it is a very capable program as well and it's free. I would imagine there is a thread somewhere in these pages where users discuss pros anc cons on each program. If there is not, you can always start one...

Rhadamathys
04-22-2012, 05:14 PM
These are georgeous!