PDA

View Full Version : ***November/December 2011 Lite Challenge - Draw a Map by Hand***

ravells
11-22-2011, 01:18 PM
This was a pretty popular request in the suggestions forum, so we thought we'd go with it this month. Bear in mind that some of the best maps the guild has ever had the honour of hosting have been hand drawn to a greater or lesser extent.

Your map can be of anything and at any scale, provided that it is drawn by hand on a physical medium (e.g. paper, cloth, bark, vellum etc) This means:

The entire piece, including the map, cartouche, neatlines, labelling etc must be hand drawn or hand written on a physical medium.
No 'touching up' on the computer afterwards.
Within the above restrictions you can use any media to draw/paint with (e.g. pencils, pens, inks, paints, pastels).
For the avoidance of doubt: Computer tablets/pens are *NOT* allowed.

Scan your map or take a digital photo of it to present it here!

This should be a fun competition! We hope that there will be lots of participation (and laughs along the way). We think this is going to be a liberating experience!

The challenge will close on or about the 15th of December.

RecklessEnthusiasm
11-22-2011, 04:12 PM
OH, darn! Hopefully you'll run a regular challenge for this too at some point!

ravells
11-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Fully intend to!

Engris
11-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Hmm I think I have a good idea for this...we'll see...

jbgibson
11-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Just to be clear - you intend that we not even do compositing digitally? I wouldn't call that touchup, but I can see how it might be considered digital shenanigans :-). I would lean toward scanning text as an overlay separate from the linework, and sticking the two together in an app, but if that's "impure" for this competition I'll skip it. Any physical compositing should be ok, though, right? Mylar layers, post-it notes, holes cut in paper to show an underlayer..... So long as it makes the transition into digital in one go?

mearrin69
11-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Cool challenge. Looking forward to the results. Please bring it to the regular challenge soon!
M

ravells
11-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Just to be clear - you intend that we not even do compositing digitally? I wouldn't call that touchup, but I can see how it might be considered digital shenanigans :-). I would lean toward scanning text as an overlay separate from the linework, and sticking the two together in an app, but if that's "impure" for this competition I'll skip it. Any physical compositing should be ok, though, right? Mylar layers, post-it notes, holes cut in paper to show an underlayer..... So long as it makes the transition into digital in one go?

Yes that's about right. I think to keep it clear and easy, just imagine that computers do not exist except for the purpose of scanning the drawing and posting it here. So if you want to physically composite, that's absolutely fine!

anest1s
11-27-2011, 08:18 PM
It has to be on paper only? I mean other material is ok too if it is done by hand? Or not?

gwiley
11-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Hello - I am a new member so do not know how to enter a drawing in this contest. When you have a moment, would you direct me?

Thank you,
Gary

mearrin69
11-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi Gary,
Welcome to the Guild. You'll want to read the rules here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?4384-Lite-Challenge-Rules-Please-Read.

For this entry just draw it up and create a thread (following the rules on that link) with your final entry (scanned and uploaded in this case). If you want to create a thread and post works in progress so you can get feedback, show off, or whatever then you can do that too. Easy as pie!

Good luck on it. This one looks like a great challenge.
M

gwiley
11-29-2011, 08:13 AM
Thank you M - I tried to add and load (or is the lock and load?); it went somewhere. Will hunt for it.
Regards, Gary

ravells
11-29-2011, 09:07 AM
It has to be on paper only? I mean other material is ok too if it is done by hand? Or not?

I'll amend the contest rules. As long as the map is drawn on any physical medium that should be fine.

bartmoss
12-01-2011, 04:39 AM
I will do my best to find time for this. Oldskool!

Lukc
12-01-2011, 04:46 AM
Hmm ... On the digital shenanigans note.

I feel a single pass of levels / contrast / brightness should be allowed after scanning. A lot of scanners do this automatically, but the results are often less than perfect. To my mind, this is the equivalent of turning on a lamp in a dingy room so someone can look at the map more easily.

gwiley
12-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Lukc - I agree - my scanner does it automatically and I can adjust this or that during the scan. So, am interested to hear if a single pass (we all promise not to do a second pass?) is allowed. Surely.... :-)
Regards, Gary

ravells
12-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Thing is, looking at the WIPs that have already been posted, the brightness / contrast etc seems fine. My concern about allowing people to play with levels etc is that it can be used to remove construction lines by computer adjustment which (to me anyway) doesn't really fit in the spirit of doing it all by hand, where, for example, you might use an eraser to remove construction lines.

Tell you what, if all the contestants are happy to do a levels adjustment (so nobody feels hard done by) then we'll let it through. It only needs to be done towards the close of the challenge anyway.

Lukc
12-01-2011, 06:40 PM
It's an open question - honestly, I can do it during the scan as well. I turn off the auto-levels anyway ... but sometimes it comes out "graying" the white spaces. If I let it auto-level it kills the pencil marks on it's own, which I find a bit silly. Anyway ... will continue with the WIPs tomorrow :).

As for levels - whatever people feel is appropriate, is fine by me. Just want it cleared up is all!

Ecretsu_Solde
12-01-2011, 07:07 PM
I'm so excited! I just finished tweaking my map and am about ready. However, since it is on a rather large drawing board I will have to take a digital photo, is that okay? And if so any recommended size?

ravells
12-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Digital photos are fine! There are upper limits on the size of images you can upload ... but I can't remember what they are (ought to be sufficient for a digital camera photo though).

jbgibson
12-01-2011, 07:55 PM
It's a max of 4.77Mb, for most file types. It's actually larger for some - see this thread for details:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?14221-What-is-the-Max-File-size-of-Attachments-for-the-forums&p=149367&viewfull=1#post149367

Huh - sometimes the editing menu doesn't come up for me, else I would have properly inserted that link... <shrug>....

jbgibson
12-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Actually, if we're talking MY camera, any photo would be under 4Mb. My daughter's though, could easily give filesizes a lot bigger. The complexity of the subject matters greatly. If we're talking mostly monochrome line art, digital photos might not have trouble staying under 4.77Mb. If one of us does a nice painterly thing though, with crazy detail and a varied palette, it could be hard to take a picture and know the filesize will be small enough.

How about if anybody takes an overlarge photo (scanners not always being available), they can get the file to a community leader, ( neutral party) who can do a simple jpg quality twiddle or something to get it legit. Thing is, I'd hate to artificially limit somebody's participation based on the difficulty of getting the results onto a computer :-b... Or you could just borrow my mediocre digital camera ....

< wonder if I can borrow one of those 44-inch drum scanners at the graphics company I used to work for.... >

EricPoehlsen
12-02-2011, 03:42 PM
I would assume setting the size of the image and the filesize are within the scope of 'taking the photo' or 'scanning'

Dain
12-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Hi,
Just a little question regarding the size of the medium.
what do we have to do if the medium is bigger than A4, standard max size for scanners? I'm considering working on A3 size paper but my scanner is only A4.
I do possess a good camera so if it's required, I can just take a photo, even if the quality won't be the same.

To solve the issue, what I propose to do is to take a photograph of the whole thing, as a proof of the work done on a paper, and,
Scan+assemble the two parts without touching anything else.

What's your opinion about it?
Thanks

jbgibson
12-03-2011, 08:51 PM
I was going to scan in pieces and stitch - that's just scan mechanics, ja?

EricPoehlsen
12-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Why bother with scanning it in pieces, take a well lit photo (sunlight preferably)

Dain
12-04-2011, 03:49 AM
Why bother with scanning it in pieces, take a well lit photo (sunlight preferably)
Have you tried that before? Can a nice job be done this way?

ravells
12-04-2011, 06:29 AM
Scanning and stitching is fine since you're not altering the piece itself.

Ecretsu_Solde
12-05-2011, 02:07 AM
Okay, so quick question!

I took a picture of my map, it looks okay, the top corners are a little out of focus but not too bad. I would love for this map to be viewed for every detail it has, which is a lot, but in order to capture the whole canvas, I had to take the picture about 4 feet above the map so that some of the finer detail is masked. Can I upload a few (i.e. 2 or 3) pictures or should I just upload the main one and if anyone wants to see the detailed stuff E-mail me for more pictures?

I am sorry for being a tid bit difficult, and if need be i can create a smaller map and scan it up to here, but I would hold that for a last resort seeing as how the 10th is approaching!

~Solde

Ecretsu_Solde
12-05-2011, 02:13 AM
Although.... I can check to see if my Geography department has a big enough scanner, that would be wonderful. I will check tomorrow and see what's up, but until then my previous question stands!

ravells
12-05-2011, 05:53 AM
Ecretsu, there is an application called Hugin you find online which will stitch images together for you. Just take a few close up photos and stitch them.

ravells
12-07-2011, 06:05 AM
I found a tutorial from a long time ago that might be useful for this challenge: How to photograph your maps. (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?4787-How-to-photograph-your-paper-maps)

ravells
12-14-2011, 10:59 AM
I'll be closing this one for voting between the next 6 to 12 hours. So get those entries finalised. This month has produced some truly fantastic entries.