PDA

View Full Version : Nov/Dec 2011 Lite Challenge Entry: The Mage's Tale - episode 6

gwiley
11-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Pencil on paper. Partially done - main features and primary focus. Unsure what to use for forests and grasslands...
Gary

ravells
11-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Looks great, I'll remove the other entry. You might want to post it in the 'Finished Maps' section though, it's a beauty.

tilt
11-29-2011, 10:35 AM
what a great start - just remember to "mapify" it :)

gwiley
11-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Thank you Tilt... by mapify, do you mean it should be more like a top-down view? flat? do not think I can do that with this one. So, next time I enter, I will think in terms of flat map next time. Is that a standard? My drawings tend to be "pictorial".
Gary

jbgibson
11-29-2011, 12:37 PM
No, the oblique angle doesn't keep it from being sufficiently 'mappish'. Rather, one needs the annotations that tell you more about the place - (one or more of: ) scale, labeling of SoMeThInG, key, title,maybe some human features. Mind you, the human stuff isn't crucial - I mean there's maps of Mars, ja? :-) This could be a strictly geological map, ignoring millions of people and network of highways, and, and, and..... whatever you want to make it.

The pictorial oblique views are great - don't shift viewpoint 'less you want to!

gwiley
11-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the information - I think I understand. My maps are usually linked to a story episode so there is almost never more than an indication of human presence. My thought is that, during pre-modern times, human impact on the land was less pronounced than today. For instance, around 500 B.C.E., Europe was forest. By 1000 C.E., you could probably pick out Rome on a landscape map of the coast of Italy but just.

In the case of this map, it is the view from the balcony of a wizard named Nessum. His view is north-east toward a distant sea coast. So, someone reading the episode and seeing the map can see what the character sees.

Also, I have not been successful with making a role playing map - because I have not figured out how to make mountains, etc. that look like mountains from the perspectives of four players sitting around a table. That is definitely a wip. I tend to the view that the landscape is more important and is sometimes lost with all the symbols of human occupation.

I will try a map with labels and such (town, castle, roads, ports...) and see what comes out of the pencil. And, truthfully, I'm pretty much a tectonics freak - I like the looks of mountains, rift valleys, colliding plates, roving hot spots and all that showbiz.

Regards,
Gary

maxsdaddy
11-29-2011, 10:30 PM
That first thumbnail is beautiful! Add to that and go! Or not. A great "map"

tilt
11-30-2011, 03:05 AM
yep, what jbgibson said - to go from picture to map you need stuff like labels, compass rose, scale bar etc - any or all, in the end it is up to the voters to judge if your entry fits the rules of the competition. :)
Two more things that are important - you can only submit one file for the entry, it can however be a multipage pdf - but they tend not to go down as well as a simple jpg. (download, opening etc) - and are mostly used for maps of several levels (I made a necromancers tower for a challenge for instance).
In addition to choosing the right picture/map for the contest you also have to mark it according to the rules for it to be picked up by the thumb scraper.
hex hex hex Latest WIP hex hex hex
should be put before the picture you want to enter :)

gwiley
11-30-2011, 04:21 AM
Thanks Tilt - I'm going with the first map (the small addition was just to test what a combination might look like...). I appreciate a distinction can be made between pictures and maps. For myself, I think of it more as types of cartography. The type used often depends on the purpose - game playing for example or the cultural/political aspects of a region.

I will remember to title the final version with the ###'s. I thought about adding names, compass, roads etc. to my map last evening. For example, the volcano could be called the Mouth of God or the Eldest Sister or something; the city in the top can be named Oosra. Those names are in my mind but, granted, any one who looks at it will not know that. Something to chew on.

Regards,
Gary

gwiley
11-30-2011, 07:30 AM
Forests. Getting "busy"...
Regards,
Gary

gwiley
11-30-2011, 09:45 AM
With thanks to Tilt for suggesting more evidence of human habitation...Regards, Gary

### Latest WIP ###

tilt
11-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Hi gwiley - I have merged your threads - it is only necessary to write the lastest wip in the post not in the title - so you're good staying with the original thread. To me its still more a picture than a map - a great picture but a picture non-the-less - I'd add some labels perhaps? Of course, it is only my opinion :)

gwiley
11-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Thanks Tilt. I thought about it and decided not to add labels. I am happy you like the picture. I do add labels in some drawings but rarely. A friend who writes asked for names for places; Looking around, I think people name things like Small Ford, Green River, High Road, Earl's Wood, Point Peril - meaning they just name things they see using their name for that. Unless it is owned by/associated with someone (Filbert's Ford, Dason Manor, Point Charlotte). Sometimes, I feel that labels detract from the work I am looking at.

Most viewers will likely feel as you do - that it needs labels. As well, many may feel that it is curious but not a map - and prefer another entry. I can live with that :-) I am excited just to have an entry at all!

Regards,
Gary

tilt
11-30-2011, 11:23 AM
as long as you're happy - that's the important thing :)

Nebula
11-30-2011, 01:25 PM
I really like your map, its very beautiful, especially with the perspective it gives you this other-worldly feel. Great work! Keep it up. (You hands must be getting cramped with those forest's partying like no tomorrow!)

gwiley
12-01-2011, 05:23 AM
Aw Nebula - it is easy - you just enter a zen state where you ARE the pencil and it flows. Of course, a couple of afternoon glasses of wine do help. :-)
Regards, Gary

EricPoehlsen
12-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Normally with a map I would expect labels, and done in the right style they would make this an absolutly incredible map in my eyes.
'A map is a visual representation of an area—a symbolic depiction highlighting relationships between elements of that space such as objects, regions, and themes.' (Wikipedia) - So textual information and labels may be common, yet they are not mandatory to make a graphic into a map and I think your 'painting' technically fits the definition of a map, even without labels...

Djekspek
12-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Looking very good! Love this handrawn perspective landscape stuff and I thought I recognized this style and it just hit me, I visited your site a couple of times (nl strabo). Great work there too! (btw, I estimate we live within 10miles of eachother as I live in the Hague O.o) One tiny nitpick: the crater mouth seems a little out-of-perspective, but otherwise very nice! cheers, DJ

gwiley
12-03-2011, 07:12 AM
Thank you for your comments - sometimes labels ja, and sometimes, niet (nein). Maar/Aber, this is my hesitant attempt to draw a volcano. The crater mouth (like my own?) is somewhat out of perspective - thanks for noticing as I had not.

You know how it is, every drawing is LOVE and then another one waltzes around the corner and wham, new love. Also, I am trying to develop the skill of "put the mouse down, raise your hands, and step back from the drawing..." meaning do not touch it again.

Regards, Gary

Djekspek - jep, we do live close. So, one day I will buy you the beverage of your choice at the Engel cafe in Delft, ja?