PDA

View Full Version : [Comission] As yet unnamed novel map

RobA
11-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Continuing to meet the demands of fledgling fantasy novelists the world over, this is a recent "commission-in-progress".

...Did I mention how much work hand drawn mountains are?

this was a first go at the dithering, and I think it is a bit heavy - I'll lighten it up in the main land and decrease the patterning in the desert areas. I'm happy about how depicting the roads using negative space turned out.

The font is mostly Fiorenza II (http://www.fontstock.net/9989/fiorenza-ii.html) except the 'e' was too hard to read, imoo, so it took a quick trip through fontforge...

I'll still be enlarging the fonts slightly to improve legibility at the 300dpi printed size, as well as adding additional labeling, decorative border, compass, scale, etc...

Right now the city icons represent size, but I;ve been asked to make them all the same so that, too will change.

I'm also really tempted to leave the oceans blank... I like the contrast...

Looking for suggestion/critique, as always..

-Rob A>

tilt
11-30-2011, 11:10 AM
very nice RobA, was about to say something about a drop-down-shadow look in the north-west, but it disappeared when I zoomed in :) ... personally I'm not a big fan of the pointillism of your shading, but overall it looks good :)

jfrazierjr
11-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Not quite sure the mountains all match the same perspective.... mainly, Darkmoon spire looks a bit flatter tthan the others.... I do dig the overall thing....Is this going to be B/W or color?

RecklessEnthusiasm
11-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Oh emm gee, this is lovely! No real crits here, just impressed and jealous sighs.

Larb
11-30-2011, 11:17 PM
Does dithering refer to how you do shading with all the little dots? And regarding that, how would you reproduce that kind of shading in photoshop (assuming it wasn't too difficult to do?). It's a really nice effect.

Oh and it looks really really nice btw. =P

RobA
12-01-2011, 01:11 AM
very nice RobA, was about to say something about a drop-down-shadow look in the north-west, but it disappeared when I zoomed in :) ... personally I'm not a big fan of the pointillism of your shading, but overall it looks good :)

Thanks - that style of shading was specifically asked for by the requester. As it is to be printed in B&W, and at 300DPI, it seems to work... I just need to play with the density a bit...

Not quite sure the mountains all match the same perspective.... mainly, Darkmoon spire looks a bit flatter tthan the others.... I do dig the overall thing....Is this going to be B/W or color?

This latest version pretty much hides Darkmoon Spire behind the label - Gonna have to fix that. Not sure what you mean though, it seems the same to me, but I've been staring at this map for ~14 hours now...

Oh emm gee, this is lovely! No real crits here, just impressed and jealous sighs.

You? I'm usually jealous of your work - your recent hand drawn style is da-bomb! But thanks!

Does dithering refer to how you do shading with all the little dots? And regarding that, how would you reproduce that kind of shading in photoshop (assuming it wasn't too difficult to do?). It's a really nice effect.

Oh and it looks really really nice btw. =P

Dithering is the shading with dots. Not sure about photoshop - maybe someone can translate.... I just painted greyscale shading in multiple layers (mountain shading, derest, roads, desert, land outline, etc) all in multiply mode then did a New from visible of just he shading, and moved that layer to a new image. I converted that new image to an indexed image 1-bit using the default dithering gimp does, then brought the dithered layer back in (mode set to multiple) and hid all the other shading layers.

I honestly wan't sure if it would work, but it beats drawing dots by hand. I'm still most likely going to apply a displacement filter on the dither layer to break up some of the regularity.

Here is the latest with most of the labeling done:

-Rob A>

tilt
12-01-2011, 06:29 AM
neat trick with the index color ;)

Lukc
12-01-2011, 07:13 AM
Looks nice ... though I'm not 100% the rivers and mountains completely match the dithering ... anyway, back to hand-stippling for the hand-drawn competition :D

jfrazierjr
12-01-2011, 09:48 AM
This latest version pretty much hides Darkmoon Spire behind the label - Gonna have to fix that. Not sure what you mean though, it seems the same to me, but I've been staring at this map for ~14 hours now...

Yea, I was debating on posting that comment as I could not decide if the label was throwing off my brain's perception of the mountains or not, but I figured I would throw it out there just in case for your "review". Going to have to try that dithering thing...makes for nice deserts I would think...

RobA
12-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Looks nice ... though I'm not 100% the rivers and mountains completely match the dithering ... anyway, back to hand-stippling for the hand-drawn competition :D

That's what the displacement filter will take care of (I hope)

-Rob A>

Ramah
12-02-2011, 05:27 AM
Great work here, Rob, and I personally think the dithering looks great as it is.

My one point (and sorry if this has been raised or you already mentioned it) would be the river/lake thing in the middle of Darkmoon Spire. It looks a bit of a mess like it's been scribbled on with a pen. Apart from that, top stuff. :)

ravells
12-02-2011, 07:26 AM
I like the dithering too, but I'm curious about one thing. Dithering is usually use when you are trying to make grayscale out of black and white only, but it looks like in the line work you are using shades of gray, so you could get even more variation on the dithering not just by size and spacing of dots but by making them shades of gray as well. Generally though I think it's a great map and don't envy the time drawing those mountains must have taken!

RobA
12-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Great work here, Rob, and I personally think the dithering looks great as it is.

My one point (and sorry if this has been raised or you already mentioned it) would be the river/lake thing in the middle of Darkmoon Spire. It looks a bit of a mess like it's been scribbled on with a pen. Apart from that, top stuff. :)

It is supposed to be a braided kind of river, where the river splits and rejoins through the mountains.... I might have to rework that area as I drew it before the mountains went in... I also want to thin out the Aenon River upstream of that as it is a bit thick.

I like the dithering too, but I'm curious about one thing. Dithering is usually use when you are trying to make grayscale out of black and white only, but it looks like in the line work you are using shades of gray, so you could get even more variation on the dithering not just by size and spacing of dots but by making them shades of gray as well. Generally though I think it's a great map and don't envy the time drawing those mountains must have taken!

The line-work is shades of grey in that it is all aliased - other then that it is all B&W...

Thanks all for the helpful feedback!

-Rob A>

Alex
12-02-2011, 06:49 PM
That is an amazing map, RobA! Take some rep! :D

My only complaint comes from my monitor screen being to small to see the whole thing at once without having to scroll! lol

Great job! :thumbup:

cereth
12-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Very cool. Love the mountains and the dithering...especially how you used it to show the roads.

arsheesh
12-03-2011, 11:14 PM
This looks very nice. Neat trick with the "Dithering" by the way, sounds like it sure saved you allot of time.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

jbgibson
12-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Great result, RobA. You have some of the Erwin Raisz (http://www.raiszmaps.com/) vibe going...

RobA
12-18-2011, 12:38 AM
@jbgibson - Thanks for the complement - I've always loved that style and sure would like to try a map like that one day....

Here is another small update - more labeling and a compass rose I made (the request was that it be a set of scales). Funny thing it, there is still no name for the world, hence no title for the map, just a blank spot.... Also no border is desired. I may drop in a border just to make it look more finished, probably pulling details from the compass I doodled up.

-Rob A>