PDA

View Full Version : *** December 2011 Challenge - Dragons Lair ***

tilt
12-03-2011, 02:49 AM
December month's challenge is to map the lair of a dragon. Any setting or type of dragon will do of course, be it a cradle for your toddler dragon or the classic cave with a mountain of treasure. Frosty lair or Fiery Cave everything goes :)

Don't forget to follow the Mapping Challenge rules (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?503-README-Mapping-Challenge-Rules).

This challenge will end on the January 2nd. The winner will get a shiny golden compass added to their profile.

Lukc
12-03-2011, 03:40 AM
So ... the challenge ends in approximately 12 months and a week, or 1 week ago? :P

tilt
12-03-2011, 04:02 AM
12 month is a bit much... lets say 1 *lol*

LonewandererD
12-03-2011, 08:59 AM
By dragon do you mean an actual flame and scales dragon can it be a creature or being that is known by the title "dragon"?

-D-

Lukc
12-03-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm betting you can slip a tavern named "The Lair of a Dragon" through the rules :D

mearrin69
12-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Or the kitchen-corner bed and bowls of Dragon, the cat from The Secret of N.I.M.H.? :)

I've been wanting to enter a challenge for a while now. Not sure this is the one for me but I'll give it some thought. Good luck to everyone and happy mapping!
M

tilt
12-03-2011, 10:56 AM
By dragon do you mean an actual flame and scales dragon can it be a creature or being that is known by the title "dragon"?

I mean a creature that is a dragon - if in your fantasy/world/whatever that is a mechanical dragon or a firefly - so be it, the voters are the judges :)

I'm betting you can slip a tavern named "The Lair of a Dragon" through the rules :D

not unless its an in for dragons - which would be a challenge in it self :)

Lukc
12-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Dragons in my campaign setting play World of Warcraft ... seriously.

Talroth
12-03-2011, 05:57 PM
I may have to try taking part in this one. Haven't been active here in ages, but still.

I'm going to try blending writing and mapping into it, and doing it all by hand. Not sure how I'm going to lay out what I have in plan, as it is going to be more of a journal with maps rather than just a single map.

Bogie
12-06-2011, 02:59 PM
This sounds interesting!

Gamerprinter
12-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Been thinking about getting involved in this challenge. I played around with a couple ideas, but nothing sync'd up to my desires. Though I have the idea of wanting to incorporate my layer depths of water (with Xara) as part of the entry to a cavern. I might do this one photorealistic instead of hand-drawn, just for something different. I had thought about Reign of Fire - as in modern post-apoc with burned out jeeps and stuff, but I'm back looking at traditional fantasy dragons at this time. I'm getting an idea, but nothing concrete yet - which is weird for me. Usually I look at a challenge and a crystal clear view of a concept comes to mind.

Master TMO
12-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Photorealistic is my favorite style, so I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

krasimir
12-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Now, this sounds exciting! Dragons have a place in my heart, even despite Skyrim's recent bugs which made them fly backwards. Once you see it, you can't unsee it.

ravells
12-13-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm surprised nobody's done a homage to Anne McCaffrey on this challenge.

Gamerprinter
12-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Generally I don't do fan-fiction. To me, if I can't potentially publish a map, it's not worth doing. If I create something honoring someone else's publication, there are too many hoops to jump to take that to publication. While I certainly don't publish every map I make - the potential is still there... (besides I was not a fan of Pern).

So Ravs, make as a Pern dragon lair map for this challenge! You still have time.

GP

ravells
12-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Yeah, but as she died recently and all...let's see. I might have a go, but it's unlikely.

Bogie
12-14-2011, 10:53 PM
Not wanting to start a rules war, but just need a clarification. In Nighthawk's new post Tilt stated that the map had to be started from scratch after the contest was started. Maybe I missed it, but I read every post in the rules thread and I couldn't find that rule. Is is posted somewhere else? I'm new here and could have easily missed it.

The reason I ask is that since I didn't see the rule when I entered, I started with maps that I posted at Dundjinni a while ago. While I have significantly reworked them, I cannot truly say that they are "from scratch". If this is the rule I will gladly move the maps to a different part of the Forum and make a new map. In fact, I will start the new map anyway.

tilt
12-15-2011, 03:41 AM
@Bogie - hmmm.. you're absolutely right... it is mentioned in post 27 in the thread but have somehow never made it to the actually rules post (until today). If you have no problems starting a new map that would be cool - then we don't have to try to decide *lol*

tilt
01-02-2012, 05:16 AM
Just a note to tell you that the contest is on its last day, tomorrow (at some point after getting kids in school and checking mail and so forth CET+1) it will be closed and voting commences. :)

Lord Kev
02-02-2012, 08:54 PM
I am just waiting to see this... hahahaha