PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Domo230
12-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Hi hows it going.

I am looking to play a cartographer in a larp (live action roleplay) and I would love to learn how to create some fantasy maps for the game. I am basically trying to be the fantasy version of "Piri Reis".

I am currently searching for tutorials on how to get started. I have don't have a lot of money so can't afford a graphic tablet but I do have photoshop.

Are there any guides/books you would recommend.

All the best
Domo230

EricPoehlsen
12-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Welcome. If you are going to portray a cartographer as LARP character, I would highly recommend using paper and pencils :D

Have a look at the current lite challenge, there are currently some interesting examples of outstanding handdrawn maps including work in progress posts that can give you some ideas, how to begin and what to do next...

maxsdaddy
12-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Hello Domo230. Reasonably new here also. You certainly choose soom big boots to fill for your LARP character! ;) It seems to me the golden age of exploration and mapping has been supplanted by satellite images. More the pity. Welcome to the guild and keep posting your progress.

Domo230
12-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Hi guys

Luckily for me the fantasy realm the LARP is set in does not have satellite technology or I would be out of a job :p

I have started work on my first map using the excellent Saderan tutorial but have been having trouble getting the mountains to look right.
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?16765-My-first-map-(Saderan-tutorial)-Getting-realistic-mountains&p=171476#post171476

NeonKnight
12-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

Steel General
12-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Welcome Aboard!