PDA

View Full Version : The Known Realm of Arcadia

Slylok
12-14-2011, 01:22 AM
Greetings all!

It has been quite some time since I have posted any maps on here. I have had the opportunity to work on an amazing project and I must give much thanks to this fantastic website and its community. If it were not for this site I wouldn't have been recognized by the author who commissioned me. Thank you Cartographer's Guild! :)

I present to you The Known Realm of Arcadia. It is a continental map for the up coming book series "The Battle For Arcadia", a very intriguing adult fantasy series that breaks away from today's mainstream fantasy. It will be releasing very soon. If you're interested, keep checking the website for updates www.thebattleforarcadia.com (http://www.thebattleforarcadia.com/)

The map took about 11 months to finish. This is mainly due to being pulled off of the map to help with other art aspects of the project which were equally fun. The map will be featured as a poster which will be available for purchase in the near future. it is comprised of 16 nations and over 160 major locations. I did it in photoshop with my wacom bamboo tablet. Hope you like it.

UPDATE: OK i figured out why it wasnt showing up on the web as it looked in photoshop. It was because i made the whole thing in CMYK for printing to poster. Changing it to RGB did the trick. It shouldnt look so dark now.

eViLe_eAgLe
12-14-2011, 02:28 AM
Ewww.. Yuck, this is absoultely horrible....

JUST KIDDING! This is bloody amazing my man, one of the best maps i've seen!

Hai-Etlik
12-14-2011, 03:02 AM
Very nice, though there are a couple of issues.

The obviously computer generated halo behind the text, and the 'carved' 3d look of the title contrast with the 'drawn on paper' look of the rest of the map, and a 'Capitol' is a building, cities are 'Capital's.

Also the inset, scale bar, and compass don't match up. Assuming the inset map is correct, the map is in a Stereographic projection with the centre of projection near the southeast corner. That means that compass bearings would vary considerably over the map, and the scale would vary from being true in the southeast, to everything being about about 1.5-2 times too long (or 3-4 times too big) in the northwest.

Still, gorgeous too look at.

Sapiento
12-14-2011, 04:03 AM
Fantastic, Slylok! Rich and full of detail.
How did you make the ornamental border?

Clercon
12-14-2011, 04:21 AM
Fantastic map and a great piece of art. Well done!

ravells
12-14-2011, 05:16 AM
Stunning work, Slylok! A really brilliant piece!!!

tilt
12-14-2011, 05:23 AM
Beautiful map, I'll just swing my +15 broadsword of ultra cool repping on you :)

on a different note it would be cool if you could use the "attachment" function to actually attach a version of your map to the post - that way it will be saved for posterity no matter what happens to the other page :)

tilt
12-14-2011, 05:29 AM
oh, and a little side note for the creators of the website. The picture looks really cool - however ...
1. Doesn't say what it is, if you hadn't said fantasy series I would have thought it was a computer game.
2. Only way to follow what happens is on twitter - ie. when I don't really use twitter I can't follow news on the game and as they don't even have a sign up for a newsletter (or just a get a mail when we launch) people might just forget about the page again and never return.

Lukc
12-14-2011, 05:37 AM
A beautiful map, if a bit dark. I find it hard to read some of the labels. But beautiful nonetheless!

pasis
12-14-2011, 05:43 AM
Superb work....

Steel General
12-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Nicely done, certainly one to be proud of....like some of the other posters I find the text a bit hard to read in some areas.

Kanti
12-14-2011, 09:40 AM
That map is stunning. Very beautiful.

Slylok
12-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Thank you all for the compliments and the rep! I realize the colors were darker than they were supposed to be. this is what caused the glow around the text to look so abbrassive i think. Let me know what you think about it now that it can be view properly:)

Hai-Etlik: thanks for pointing out the typo with the word capital. i was able to fix it before it was sent out to print. As far as projection and all that goes, i know what you are saying, but this map is not meant for navigation. It is simply for reference and aesthetics.

Sapiento: for the border, i used the pen tool to make the shape outlines of the corners and the Title and Legend. then i used a regular round brush to draw in the designs. took a long time, but was fun and turned out nicely i think.

Tilt: Love that +15 sword you are toting. I was able to figure out why i couldnt upload a copy of this map to the site originally and have now added it to the first post. Thank you for your suggestions about the project's website they are good ideas and will be taken into consideration.

maxsdaddy
12-14-2011, 09:59 PM
You deserve the rep, great map! Love the dragons in the top corner borders and reference globe in the bottom corner. And
your quote made me laugh.

Drakecoinus
12-15-2011, 01:28 AM
:( ok now I am trying to remember why i wanted to make my own map.... this is great, love the "Simple Detail" I could easily steal this to create my world around.
JOB well done:)

gwiley
12-15-2011, 07:02 AM
I do not have the expertise to offer a critique... the map works very well to my taste. The darker portion is distracting at first but once a person enters closer, the detail is really finely done. Of course, your border is very good as well - the two dragons upper right and left - very nice!

Speaking for myself, I really like the detail in buildings and woodlands. You've smoothed and shadowed the mountains well. The edging of the coast - of two minds about it - but it fits the map style.

Regards, Gary

adunakhor
12-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Amazing map! Love the cliffs and cracks and also the shadows and the font!

Are the brushs yours or did you use brushes found on the internet? (for the cities, the trees, etc.)

rdanhenry
12-18-2011, 12:45 AM
It's a good map, but what I really love about it is the border. That's some excellent work.

Bogie
12-18-2011, 01:27 AM
The map is great, but the border/frame is truly art!

Prevana'Dei
12-22-2011, 08:42 PM
I shall now take my hand drawn third grade-ish map, curl it up, find me a near hut and sulk about how awful I am at drawing maps. :)

...Nah, just kidding I'm not going to that, but this is amazing!

The website entrance page looks awesome - that soldier guy/gal scares me.

I'm also working on a fantasy novel that I hope turns the "chosen one" prophecy on it's head so to speak.

Good work!!

Jaxilon
12-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Very nice, excellent job. You have a nice classy feel on this and the border is indeed sweet.

I club thee rep!

jdblair5
12-26-2011, 08:03 PM
What a brilliant, breathtaking piece of artwork. Hats off sir, hats off. This is now my desktop background. Out of curiosity, how much does a piece like this cost? (rough estimation) and what is the general turn around time, if you can focus on the map and only the map? I only ask because I am looking to replace my current cartographer, I think a man of your esteem would fill the void rather nicely. Matter of fact, how hard would it be for you to simply change some of the names on this map so I can use it for my own business needs? I would just fine with that, maybe call it "The Known Realm of Marcadia" ( see what I did there, added an M and now its a whole new world) A few minor adjustments and we are in business. If there is a question of ethics, do not worry, I have none. And I will pay you enough that you forget yours too.
Brilliant map sir, and The Known Realm of Marcadia will be just as impressive!

Ramah
02-09-2012, 05:13 AM
Only just seen this thread. Wonderful map, man. Awesome stuff. :)

ScotlandTom
02-09-2012, 06:03 PM
I hadn't noticed it until now either, Ramah. And I just have to say:
This map, Slylock... this map... oh my god, this map... this map, oh my god.

Superb work. Very well done.

Motara
02-10-2012, 03:01 AM
That border is gorgeous.

arsheesh
02-12-2012, 04:40 PM
My hat is off to you sir!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Brandon
02-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Can you share just a tiny very small extremely petite portion of some of that talent.... Pretty please!

Schwarzkreuz
03-12-2012, 11:31 AM
This is still on of my most favorite Maps here on CG.

Slylok
03-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Thank you all :) your compliments are much appreciated.

Klaus van der Kroft
03-12-2012, 10:26 PM
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. My hat is off to you.

Slylok
06-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Amazing map! Love the cliffs and cracks and also the shadows and the font!

Are the brushs yours or did you use brushes found on the internet? (for the cities, the trees, etc.)

I made all the brushes by hand for this one. Took a long time, but i think its worth it in the end.

Lyandra
06-10-2012, 12:15 PM
This map is amazing! There are so many tiny details that make it unique. I especially love the border. The "chasm" and desert are awesome as well. What am I talking about anyway? The whole map is just awesome!

vorropohaiah
06-10-2012, 12:35 PM
I made all the brushes by hand for this one. Took a long time, but i think its worth it in the end.

most certainly. out of curiosity i'm assuming the mountains arent brushes and were individually painted?

also - kudos on using one of my fave fonts!

Molez
07-03-2012, 04:46 PM
A great map, I particularly like the way you did the bridge to the island in the top right corner.

priggs
07-03-2012, 06:31 PM
That's a gorgeous map. Not only is the map beautiful, I really like how you did the bottom with the compass rose, legend, and overview globe. Your border and title are fantastic, too.

korric
07-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Really really nice! Love the colour and style :D

eidarcos
07-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Astounding! I almost don't care about the book...there's so much in the map that I can just make up my own stories. Very richly done.

Seraphine_Harmonium
07-10-2012, 12:08 AM
This is fantastic!

Charles Chaplin
07-16-2012, 10:58 PM
I love this map, really... amazing.

Slylok, I have sent you a proposal to your e-mail. :)