PDA

View Full Version : Fast Continent

ravells
12-21-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm experimenting on a nice bright style which is really quick to put down. This is what I have so far. I have to wean myself off my addiction to Star Raven's mountain brushes though and make my own ones!

It's a reasonably big continent, but I think that once I have all the elements, I should be able to get it all done in a day or two. Doing the elements for the first time is the time consumer. It's fun putting in all the little details like ruined forts, old temples and the like.

Eilathen
12-21-2011, 10:58 AM
The detail-map looks very very good, ravs! I hope to see more in this style! And maybe a tut for it? That'd be awesome!

tilt
12-21-2011, 11:06 AM
very nice... is it done in a vector program?

TristanGregory
12-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Beautiful. Love the prominent natural borders on the closer-in map. I'm trying to get the same sort of look for a world-map I'm drawing now

Katto
12-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Glad to see your Moj-O-Meter is tending upwards. The detailed map looks very good and the choice of colours is beautiful.

ravells
12-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks all!

@Eilathen, not much chance of a tut, since it's made in Serif Drawplus and I think there are only 3 people on the guild who use it!
@Tilt, it's made in Serif Drawplus which is a vector app with some raster functionality.

Seems a shame to do a test piece like this for a map which is never destined to be used for gaming. I've found someone in the maps requested forum who is looking for a map for his/her gaming group, hopefully it'll get taken up and then the map will actually have a purpose.

Revock
12-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Ravells, you might mention there is a Serif DrawPlus starter edition which is free, dunno if it can do the same as the full version but, I downloaded it after you responded to one of my questions with a reference to drawplus.

Or, :) i could post the link *facepalm*

http://www.serif.com/free-graphic-design-software/

ravells
12-21-2011, 08:19 PM
What ever you do, don't buy Drawplus X5 until they've fixed it - it's really buggy. X4 is much more stable (and cheaper too).

RobA
12-21-2011, 09:01 PM
What ever you do, don't buy Drawplus X5 until they've fixed it - it's really buggy. X4 is much more stable (and cheaper too).

I've got X5 and don't find it that buggy...but I'm heaving one dickens of a time figuring out its paradigm.... I don't even know where to begin making a map in X5 :(

Any drawplus tuts would be handy.

-Rob A>

ravells
12-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Wow, I'm guaranteed a crash with X5 every time I use it. Maybe I should try a fresh re-install.

I'm surprised RobA....if you can use Inkscape then Drawplus should be a snap for you. If I have time over christmas I'll put together a quick tutorial on how I did this map.

RobA
12-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Wow, I'm guaranteed a crash with X5 every time I use it. Maybe I should try a fresh re-install.

I'm surprised RobA....if you can use Inkscape then Drawplus should be a snap for you. If I have time over christmas I'll put together a quick tutorial on how I did this map.

I use Inkscape... very much. I think I just need some basic concepts to get a feel for the tools. Any pointers to general drawplus tutorials?

-Rob A>

ravells
12-21-2011, 09:54 PM
That's what I thought....anyway, here are some good ones (plenty more on youtube as well):

http://iplus360.com/drawplusvideos.html

(http://iplus360.com/drawplusvideos.html)

Riggamorphus
01-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Since there is some discussion about Drawplus I will post some of my work in the finished work section done in this software. I have been using Drawplus for sometime now and find it an excellent program. I agree with ravells that the Drawplus5 is buggy. The come out with new versions faster than I can keep up with. The programme is a good option for those who can't afford Abobe products but I bought it and use it more than Illustrator or Coreldraw. It has vector and raster working together fast and efficiently. I highly endorse it here at the guild.

Rigg

dolenore
01-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Say ravells, any updates to your map style? I am still interested in what you do with it, especially the altered mountains you mentioned. :)