PDA

View Full Version : Gomilsk - a sketch up (WIP?)

Lukc
12-29-2011, 10:46 AM

Gomilsk, built upon a forgotten giants' barrow, the largest town of the valley of Saint Nomme and home to the Baron Verdek, a church, a couple of towers and, of course, the requisite D&D municipal crematorium, to prevent zombies and skeletons being created from your loved ones ... this is just a sketch up sketch, though I'm not sure I'll do much more work on it.

Anyway - it does seem to be a plausible way to generate a town map. Plus I think it looks quite pretty. :)

Freodin
12-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Very sketchy style indeed... but I think it looks rather VERY pretty. How did you do it?

Lukc
12-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Well, I used Google SketchUp 8 for the 3d modelling. First I made the ground and river, then made a hemisphere for the barrow.

Then I started making individual buildings and saving them as components, before copying them and rotating them around. That took about 4 hours all together (but I was very rusty with SketchUp when I started!). The good thing with components is that you can edit their colour and shapes all at once, rather than one at a time. For the lighting, I set it to the 29th of december 2011 at abou 11:30 - unfortunately I got the orientation of the whole map wrong by 90 degrees (oops! but nobody seeing the sketch needs to know ... :P).

Then I used photoshop to add a bit of texturing and texts to the whole thing ... probably two screen and one multiply layers.

anstett
12-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Convert the surrounding area to swamps with the ramp going down to a boat dock and that fits my campaign adventures perfectly!

Another very well done map, this is the sort of thing I like to show my players, post on my site. Then to have the traditional top down map for my own purposes.

BOB

Fransie
12-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Nice work!

unfortunately I got the orientation of the whole map wrong by 90 degrees

In Sketchup 8 Pro you can set the North direction using the "Set North Tool" from the "Solar North" toolbar (select it in View->Toolbars if you don't see it).

Another way is to select everything and simply rotate it 90 degrees. Should be about 6 seconds work for someone as rusty as you ;)

Lukc
12-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Heh, thanks for pointing out the "Set North Tool" - I don't have Pro, but the 90 rotation was simple enough to accomplish :D. Here's a little toad's eye view of the place.

That's it for this year. Happy 2012 everyone!

Larb
12-30-2011, 09:35 AM
That's pretty nice, especially the last image you posted. Makes me want to play around with sketchup some more myself.

eViLe_eAgLe
12-31-2011, 02:40 AM
You should write a tutlet or something of how you do the aging! :)

Lukc
12-31-2011, 04:47 AM
I could, seeing as my flight was cancelled due to fog and my new year holidays flushed :P