PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Chesburgh Springs city mapping

pasis
01-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Finally I got enough courage to start mapping a city. I started the project from the area I'm more familiar with - the landscape. I created a new way to do the water and I wanted to have a steep coastline and clear water to see through. I finally managed to get a decent result.
But then I realized that the scale didnít fit with the building I had created and the buildings looked way to smal. So I have to downsize the image to half and do all the texturing again, sigh... Thatís what you get when you donít think before you do.
P.S this sample is before I have done any resizing.

lostatsea
01-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Looks pretty sharp to me . I'll be keeping an eye on how this progresses.

atpollard
01-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Should the deep water be a touch darker?

pasis
01-01-2012, 05:55 PM
You are right, the sea should be darker. I have now fixed it and I think it's better now. I have downsized the map to half to match better with my houses and I also reduced all textures to 50% from the original except the sea texture as I didn't want the waves to be any smaller. Tomorrow I will get to start with setting up the houses...

pasis
01-04-2012, 08:15 AM
I have started creating the actual city. I have not got too far yet, but something.

laevex_esre
01-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Brilliant. Repped.

I love how it's shaping up. It's like a satellite image but with a real unique style to it as well. Eager to see it finished.

Larb
01-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Do you have a tutorial or anything for the methods you use to make this style map? I really like how the buildings are looking.

pasis
01-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Do you have a tutorial or anything for the methods you use to make this style map? I really like how the buildings are looking.

The method of creating the houses is relatively simple, but time consuming.
- I have several roof textures and set of objects (chimneys etc).
- I created several differently shaped roofs and added the various objects.
- Use Bevel to the roofs and dropshadow to the objects to make them look more 3D
- Put several houses together to create small blocks
- Group your block (or single house) to one object
- Then I reduce the size to hide the fact that the roofs and the objects doesn't blend too well together. When they are reduced like 1/10 of the original size, you don't see the problems anymore.
- Apply bevel and drop shadow again to make them pop out.

The problem is that it takes time to create enough variation and rotating the ready houses / blocks is an issue as I would get the shadow direction wrong. Also the shadowing is not perfect due to the way dropshadow works. That can be seen especially where the tower shadows are cast over the city wall.

Katto
01-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Although the creation of the houses takes much time, the result is worth it. It looks fantastic so far.

anstett
01-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Really like the style of the map and how this is evolving.

One question is the city gate to the north. It seems like if I did not want to pay the toll/sneak in etc I would just walk around to approach the town from the east or south.

Or am I misunderstanding the topography of that area?

BOB

pasis
01-04-2012, 03:22 PM
@anstett: Actually what I have shown is just a small part of the full map. Here is whole area I have for the city + surroundings. It has also the original sketch I had drawn before I begun to give a rough idea of what's coming.

anstett
01-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Oh well then that ruins my first plan of assault on the city. ;)

Guess Griffons it is then.

BOB

Lord Kev
01-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Then...?
the map don't appear to be finished. is this the final map?

anstett
01-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Lord Kev,

I was just teasing Pasis about the earlier snippet of the map he showed. The post above mine is his rough sketch of what the future will bring. I am re-planing my assault on the city as he reveals more of it.

BOB

pasis
01-08-2012, 02:37 AM
Lord Kev,

I was just teasing Pasis about the earlier snippet of the map he showed. The post above mine is his rough sketch of what the future will bring. I am re-planing my assault on the city as he reveals more of it.

BOB

And I'm building massive defensive structures against both aerial and underground attacks, but my lava supplier is a bit late...

eViLe_eAgLe
01-08-2012, 04:00 AM
They say you need at least 3x the force of the defenders, a group for a diversion, a group for a side attack, and a group for the attack. *hint hint*

Altuno
01-09-2012, 02:19 PM
I cannot express how amazed I am at your work. This is the single most awesome piece of work I've seen in a long while, and although I'll never attain the skills to create such wonder, I envy your talent.

Good job,
Keep it up.

pasis
01-09-2012, 02:46 PM
It's time for a new update. I think I have now done 1/3 of the whole city and I have started to add some details to differentiate the various areas.

eViLe_eAgLe
01-09-2012, 06:58 PM
*drools* Your a god my friend.

maxsdaddy
01-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Great looking so far and thanks for the frequent snippet/thumbnails.

ravells
01-10-2012, 02:51 AM
Looking really great Pasis! Can't wait to see this finished. The relative sizes of the buildings to the roads is really pleasing.

Katto
01-10-2012, 01:33 PM
I really enjoy following this WIP. Keep on pasis!

pasis
01-15-2012, 05:25 AM
Progressing slowly as I had to create bunch of new houses etc, but now I should have enough to finish the main city area. Before finishing the houses I will start the area outside the city. I plan on doing basic farm land and some hills in the north.

pasis
01-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Got the main city area about finished. I had a plan to add some hills to the north...so I did, but not satisfied with the result. I might do the hills again, but I add some forest first and then make up my mind.

Bogie
01-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Great map, love all the details. The only thing that bugs me is the harbor, it is to unprotected, both from attack and bad weather. I think that this well developed a city would have at least built a seawall or jetty to protect the mouth of the harbor. Otherwise, every storm would wreck the docks and any boats there. If there were a reef or chain of islands right in front of the harbor mouth ( but not quite in the map ) that would make the seawall unnecessary.

anstett
01-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Hey Hey Hey Bogie! Stop with the defenses!

A flight of griffons from the Northwest, a squad of Hippocampus from the south and enfilading fire from catapults on those hills all set up and now you want to ruin it with a jetty?

BOB

Bogie
01-17-2012, 08:36 PM
I hear they have some girl scouts with cookies watching the main gate, but if you are attacking the city, go for it! LOL

Still a great map as is!

anstett
01-17-2012, 10:06 PM
An excellent map Pasis always does great work.

BOB

those girl scout cookie boxes are extra large to hold double stuffed cookies, just ignore those curses from inside the boxes

pasis
01-18-2012, 02:21 AM
The harbor will get it's seawall and bit of fortification. I already had one go with the seawall, but it wasn't too good, so I decided to take a new try later.

pasis
01-18-2012, 09:29 AM
I did second version of the mountains and I think these are much better. I also added the wave breaker and bit of fortification and some more houses outside the city wall.

This city is not heavily fortified even though people in this forum seem to be planning to rampage it ;) I lack skill on drawing proper defence systems, so I guess this city relies on peace and powerful friendly neighbours.

anstett
01-18-2012, 10:22 AM
This is a wonderful map Pasis and I do appreciate being able to play around with it. These mountains and hills do look very nice.

I do think the discussion on defenses and attack venues is a good point for mappers to consider. In my game there was a discussion with a fatalistic mayor who did not want to build city walls because they were so expensive to keep rebuilding after an attack.

In this case I think the one thing I would add is more houses outside of the walls. Given this is a peaceful place with wonderful neighbors ;) more people will be wanted to live with a bit more elbow room.

Bogie
01-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Excellent addition, It's a small detail but it looks great.

atpollard
01-18-2012, 11:22 PM
This city is not heavily fortified even though people in this forum seem to be planning to rampage it ;) I lack skill on drawing proper defence systems, so I guess this city relies on peace and powerful friendly neighbours.

'These are Sparta's walls.'
When asked why Sparta lacked fortifications, King Agesilaus' pointed to his men. :)

LonewandererD
01-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Lovin it Pasis, my only critique is that maybe the cobblestone streets stick out a bit too much.

-D-

pasis
01-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Lovin it Pasis, my only critique is that maybe the cobblestone streets stick out a bit too much.

-D-

I agree. I will tone it down and i will apply some sand on top of it to break the pattern (or actually I will erase parts of the cobblestone to reveal the underlying sand.

ScotlandTom
01-19-2012, 11:33 AM
I am really enjoying this map, but I have one critique. Simply put, I don't think there's enough variation in texture and value in the landscape. I've taken the liberty of creating a grayscale version of the map to better illustrate what I mean:

The northeastern portion of the map is pretty good with a good range of dark and light values. Take a look at the western side of the map though and you'll see how, both in value and texture, the land practically blends right into the water. I think a simple change in value along the coastline would solve the problem, but even better would be to make the values and the textures more distinct. While the textures do have a slightly different grain to them the noise level is almost exactly the same between the land and the water. If it weren't for the obvious river I think the water could be mistaken for something else like grassland when viewed in grayscale.

My overall suggestion: Especially along the coastline I would do something with shadow/highlight work to increase the difference in value between sea and shore. I would also develop a different texture for the water that isn't so coarse that will indicate clearly the difference in materials within the landscape.

Looks like I typed more than I intended, but hopefully my thoughts are at least helpful to you in some way.

Overall the level of care and detail given to the city and the map as a whole is wonderful and I'm really anxious to see the finished product.

pasis
01-19-2012, 04:07 PM
I have now modified the cobblestones to fit better to rest of the city. I have also created several farmland textures which was surprisingly difficult. I created the first few fields to the east and more is coming to the west, when I get to that point.
I left my sketch layer visible, so youíll get a hint what Iím planning (red represent areas for houses, black are the roads and white is the field borders). I will most likely make some fields bigger than they are in the sketch.

@Tom: I agree to your texture point to a certain extent. Quite many features tend to blend if you turn a colored map into grayscale as they rely on the color information, but it is easily avoidable by adjusting the lightness of the colors. I believe the issue in my case disappears when I get to create all the houses and forests etc. and do the final tuning.

ScotlandTom
01-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Looks like your water is a bit darker and the grass a bit lighter now, which makes an extraordinary difference. Combined with all the details you have yet to add I think you're right in that the value issue basically disappears.

I still really like how this map is shaping up. One of these days I'm going to have to improve my city mapping abilities because right now I have to admit I'm a bit envious of your skills.

Mmansen
01-23-2012, 03:25 PM
OH MY GOD! Now I must kill my self!

Carnifex
12-25-2012, 04:39 AM
This is a great map! Very inspirational. Is there a finished version? Do you have it in higher resolution?

pasis
12-27-2012, 05:08 AM
@ Carnifex: there is a finished version as well. It's in the same resolution as this one...but finished. Glad you liked this!
http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/17555-j-b-springs.html

And here is another city made with the same technigue:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachments/finished-maps/42369d1329658484-city-old-nordhart-old-nordhart.jpg

Renacido
12-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Oh my goodness, this is a beautiful city map indeed! :) I cannot wait to see further progress. I love the look of the forest and trees in general, by the way. Is it the same tree over and over? Or had you created groups of trees before making the forest?

pasis
12-28-2012, 02:12 AM
@ Renacido: this map is actually already finished, you can find the link above. The trees are actually a simple texture (the one attached) and I just paint with it using standard Photoshop soft round brush. I have applied bevel and drop shadow to the forest layer to make them pop out properly.