PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] Commission - Post-apocalyptic New Orleans

cereth
01-07-2012, 02:40 PM
This is the second of three commissioned maps focusing on a post-apocalyptic New Orleans. The first was a regional map of Louisiana, and this one is an overview map of the city. I'm about five hours in at this point and I think you can start to see it taking shape. I'm using a satellite view of New Orleans post-Katrina as a reference and then I am taking it a step or two farther. I'm already starting to get carpal tunnel (:P) and I have quite a ways to go yet. I'm pretty happy with the early progress though.

cereth
01-14-2012, 01:33 AM
Made some more progress on this...most of the painstaking detail is done. The streets won't take too long to do and I still have to play around with the water a bit to get something I like. I'm feeling a little bit better about the progress on this though.

Lukc
01-14-2012, 04:03 AM
Watching :) Are those flooded streets?

cereth
01-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Yeah, those are flooded streets. Will hopefully be more obvious once I draw in the non-flooded streets.

cereth
01-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Got about another 8 hours of work in on this today...I'm pretty happy with the progress I made today.

ScotlandTom
01-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Your work on this post-apocalyptic project has been extremely enjoyable to watch. As you were doing the Louisiana map I was actually quite curious what the post-apocalyptic New Orleans would look like. Looks like I get to find out! Rep for you and your fine work.

bardsandsages
01-18-2012, 09:59 AM
As usual, it looks amazing! I am very excited about how the maps are coming along. Thank you for your work. It is going to make the project great.

dangerdog15
01-18-2012, 04:34 PM
I really like what you're doing. A friend of mine came back from Iraq (after the water was gone) to see his whole neighborhood destroyed. He said that it wasn't much different than the streets of Iraq.

I'm excited to see what you do with this. :)

cereth
01-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks for all the kind words. I got some more done today and the end is now in sight! I'm very happy to have all the really tedious bits behind me. :D

Lukc
01-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Oooh, now this is looking smooth, all right ... although ...

"Ze Apocalypse does not approve of ze bridges! In ze apocalypse, all bridges vill be tehminated!"

(just kidding - the bridges are fine)

cereth
01-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Actually, I probably should "tehminate" a couple more of those bridges... :P

cereth
01-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Well, I think this one is done. One more map to go and a deadline quickly approaching. :P

ScotlandTom
01-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Dang these post apocalyptic maps of yours are wonderful to look at. This one in particular is fascinating to explore. Very nice work.

kiriona
01-24-2012, 02:31 PM
This is awesome.

cereth
01-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Here is the last map in this series. It is a more detailed map of the French Quarter, Tremé, and Algiers. I'm making pretty good progress with the street labeling. This area is generally the least damaged area of New Orleans and is supposed to serve as a center of activity. I figured I'd use this same thread to show this map instead of creating another one.

dangerdog15
01-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Once again You've proven yourself to be a good cartographer. Both maps have a gritty feel, yet they're easy to read.