PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Eudorea WIP

Sapiento
01-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Some time ago I had the idea for a Greek-analogue empire in a satellite style.

This is the eastern part of the continent of Eudorea (sizewise: Norway to Italy in N-S direction), where the Chyroneian Hegemony has risen to power over the last 50 years. First it had conquered weaker neighbors and then smashed a coalition of those and then attacked and seized the northern provinces of the Empire of Satramond.

dangerdog15
01-09-2012, 02:53 PM
This is looking good. I like the southern cold, and the mountains have a really nice flow. :)

lostatsea
01-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Looking great so far . Like the looks of the mountains alot ! Are those volcanoes or fires in the south west ?

Sapiento
01-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks!

Looking great so far . Like the looks of the mountains alot ! Are those volcanoes or fires in the south west ?

Yes.

First labels and borders added. This time I decided for German labels.

Sapiento
01-12-2012, 01:20 PM
More details added.

arakish
01-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Sweeet!

Care to share technique used for making those mountains?

rmfr

ScotlandTom
01-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Looks amazing! I especially enjoy all the little icebergs breaking off from the main glacier in the south - adds a lot of character to that area of the map. My one critique is that the dropshadows on the larger red titles are offset a little too much in my opinion. Either that or they're too hard edged and thus make those titles in particular a little more confusing to read in some cases. My suggestion would be to either soften the dropshadows or don't offset them quite as much.

Sapiento
01-13-2012, 02:23 AM
Sweeet!

Care to share technique used for making those mountains?

rmfr

There's a mountain tutorial by Pasis, it's basically this technique with a few alterations. The search function should display it.

Looks amazing! I especially enjoy all the little icebergs breaking off from the main glacier in the south - adds a lot of character to that area of the map. My one critique is that the dropshadows on the larger red titles are offset a little too much in my opinion. Either that or they're too hard edged and thus make those titles in particular a little more confusing to read in some cases. My suggestion would be to either soften the dropshadows or don't offset them quite as much.

Thank you. I'll play around with the dropshadows.

Sapiento
01-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Dropshadow reduced on the large state labels and a scale bar added - I borrowed from the antique Persian parasanges, which is around 5,4 km.

As next step I will add important monasteries and temples.

dangerdog15
01-14-2012, 01:15 PM
The dropshadows look much better. This is a beautiful map.

Sapiento
01-17-2012, 11:04 AM
I guess this is more or less finished. C&C, ideas?

The idea with the shields in the corners I saw on another map recently.

ScotlandTom
01-17-2012, 01:14 PM
I like the idea of the shields, but I'm not sure they work as well with your comparatively thin border. I'd either beef up the thickness of your border, perhaps make it a tad more ornate to match the shields, or get rid of the shields entirely.

Otherwise you've got an excellent map here that's clean, descriptive and stylish. Well done, sir!

Sapiento
01-17-2012, 01:49 PM
I like the idea of the shields, but I'm not sure they work as well with your comparatively thin border. I'd either beef up the thickness of your border, perhaps make it a tad more ornate to match the shields, or get rid of the shields entirely.

Otherwise you've got an excellent map here that's clean, descriptive and stylish. Well done, sir!

I'll refine the border.

Sapiento
01-18-2012, 02:58 AM
I redesigned the border. The ornaments (brushpack here (http://photoshopbrushes.eu/swirls/105-high-quality-ornament-brushes/)) fit better to the shiny map elements than the shields.

Eilathen
01-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Nice map overall. Not so sure about the mountain-range on the left...it's kind of zu gleichmässig (sorry, i didn't find the right word and just posted the german one) and not that mountain-y to begin with. Of course that is just mho.
Btw, what i'd really like to see (read) is a setting primer (enthusiastic world-builder and roleplayer over here :D ).

Thesslian
01-19-2012, 12:20 AM
Very cool. You have the... er... spiked things with the lines radiating out of them in the water. (Boy you can tell I am new to cartography). I was just thinking you don't see things like that or longitude and latitude in fantasy maps very often. I like it.

Sapiento
01-19-2012, 02:20 AM
Nice map overall. Not so sure about the mountain-range on the left...it's kind of zu gleichmässig (sorry, i didn't find the right word and just posted the german one) and not that mountain-y to begin with. Of course that is just mho.
Btw, what i'd really like to see (read) is a setting primer (enthusiastic world-builder and roleplayer over here :D ).

The region covers several thousand kilometers, so I guess most detail would vanish at the mountains.

Very cool. You have the... er... spiked things with the lines radiating out of them in the water. (Boy you can tell I am new to cartography). I was just thinking you don't see things like that or longitude and latitude in fantasy maps very often. I like it.

THanks. I constantly forget the word for the 'spiked things'. ;)

Saule
01-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Very nice map! I love the colours.