PDA

View Full Version : Dragon's Rest Fantasy Map

dangerdog15
01-09-2012, 02:50 PM
This community is so great. The tutorials on this site have helped me so much. A few days ago, I posted my very first map, with a few PS colors. After looking at many of the communities maps, I decided that I needed to apply myself better.

Here is the map I'll be using to write my book. City maps will be coming soon, and a couple variations of this map will be made.

tilt
01-09-2012, 03:01 PM
looks great dangerdog - one point of critique is that the island it self is a bit blurry in contrast to the clean lines of roads etc. :)

dangerdog15
01-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Yeah, the island was done in PS and all the labeling was done in Inkscape. I need to re-size the PS image. Thanks for noticing, I totally missed it.

GinaMina
01-09-2012, 03:41 PM
I think tilt was spot on there, but otherwise the map is looking fantastic, great job!

dangerdog15
01-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the compliment Gina. I'll upload the new image soon.

dangerdog15
01-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Here's the new pic. Thanks again for the crit.

tilt
01-12-2012, 04:38 AM
thats much better - I think I'd try toning down the roads a little to blend them a bit more with the map :)

Lukc
01-12-2012, 06:02 AM
Very nicely done!

dangerdog15
01-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks everyone! :)

ScotlandTom
01-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Love the look of this one! Though I agree with tilt about toning down the roads, but only a touch. It looks like you're using an outer glow in which case I'd just lower the opacity a bit.

Now, just two questions, what font are you using for the title and can I steal it? :)

dangerdog15
01-14-2012, 01:22 PM
I used Blackadder ITC for the font. It's a free font I found somewhere, so Google it. I'm more than happy to share any info.

I agree with the outer glow comment and I've adjusted it, just haven't posted it yet. Thanks to you and tilt for the crit.

Saring
01-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Just a few little details.

First, does the road to F'dewa actually go to he city, or does it miss the city on purpose? It looks like it goes just outside the city. All the rest of your roads go directly into or through the cities and places of interest, so I wasn't sure if this was intentional or not.

Second, I like that you have Beltra connected to the mainland through the King's road, but how is it connected? Depending on the type of map, this could be displayed. Is it a bridge, a ferry, dock? I can't tell from the map and since it is about 25 miles (units) long based on your scale, it would abe a significant feature here.

Third, on the road from F'dewa to Foor and on the road from Rykema to Hubaard, there are a couple of sharp turns in the road. They almost look like you intend to add features or towns. Are you planning something for these points, or are these just features of the roads?

Fourth, I like the details you put into the land features including the texturing to note elevation. Are you adding any water features to this? Mountains are labeled, but no lakes, bays, inlets, rivers (are there any?) or anything with water on the map. I really like this map and think it has great details. My fiirst response to it was it would be great with a Pirate theme, with all the detailed coastline and islands.