PDA

View Full Version : Soldier Port (Griffon Island)

quindia
03-23-2008, 12:21 AM
For my next campaign, rather than an overhead schematic of the main town on Griffon Island, I decided to make an illustrative one. I used the original map from the Runequest module as a guide (and it's the one I'll use as a more traditional DM's map for planning my games) to build a 3D map with Google Sketch Up (a free 3D program). My goal was only to build with enough detail to allow me to create a pencil drawing of the town.

The temples have been changed from the original module to reflect the new pantheon of 4th edition D&D.

Soldier Port is ideal for this type of map since there are only two main streets. One runs from the gate to the tower (Market Street) and the other runs from the temples to the stone marker on the near shore (Sun Street). The rest of the town is a tangle of twisting alleys.

I may go back into this to add more detail, particularly to the buildings in the foreground, but for now the map serves it's purpose as an introduction for my players to Griffon Island!

NeonKnight
03-23-2008, 12:52 AM
That is quite impressive!

Sigurd
03-23-2008, 02:03 AM
Very, Very Pretty!

Did you draw it on paper and scan it in? Or is it digital?

Sigurd

quindia
03-23-2008, 07:09 AM
The line art was hand drawn on paper and scanned. The color and weathering effects are digital.

rwaluchow
03-24-2008, 10:08 AM
That is a fantastic map; I love it.

StillCypher
03-24-2008, 10:09 AM
That is really gorgeous!

Sigurd
03-24-2008, 12:18 PM
I'd appreciate a version without building detail for my own campaign.

(Dont use Obad-Hai :) )

Sigurd

pyrandon
03-24-2008, 04:47 PM
WOW! Nice work, Clarence! This is about the tenth post screaming to me, "learn Google Sketch-UP!!"--and your use is perhaps my favorite so far. Very, very good work! Inspiring, even.

Hats off to you, sir!

RobA
03-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Would it be possible to post the sketchup output so we can see what you started with (from the same viewpoint)?

TIA-

-Rob A>

quindia
03-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks, Guys!

I'll post a map without text. I will also load some Sketch Up shots...

quindia
03-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Map sans text...

quindia
03-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Here is the Sketch Up model I used to draw the map...

quindia
03-24-2008, 10:41 PM
... and some other angles. You can also see the different modes available, but the plain linework worked best for drawing. You can edit the shadows by changing the season and time (or turn them off completely). The program even has texture fills and the like, but they are very basic and I haven't been happy with any of the results using those.

There really is no limit to what you can build with Sketch Up. If you wanted to, you could model each building in detail (check out some of the models from the Sketch Up gallery). I really just wanted a framework to serve as a guide (and I didn't want to spend a year working on it).

Hope this helps!

RobA
03-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Can you switch it to an isometric, top down view and post that? It would give people a good idea how it can be used to create even a more "traditional" map.

-Rob A>

Sigurd
03-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Much appreciated. I like the way the town is right on, even falling over, the edge.

-Sigurd

hans_worst
03-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Damn, it's brilliant.

quindia
03-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Can you switch it to an isometric, top down view and post that? It would give people a good idea how it can be used to create even a more "traditional" map.

-Rob A>

Your wish, etc.... This is the way I drew it originally. Then I changed to the angled view to use the extrusion tools. The first step was to make each box or circle a certain number of stories. Then I add roof detail, minimal windows and doors for effect, etc.

Again, you could add color to all of this and then import a 2D image into photoshop to add details, more textures, etc.

RobA
03-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks Clarence,

I appreciate your doing these extra views for people. I think it helps show how Sketch-up can be used for town mapping!

-Rob A>

Redrobes
03-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah thats pretty cool. One day I really must try sketchup ! I use bigger 3D apps but people say how easy the interface is on sketchup. Rep heading your way...