PDA

View Full Version : [WiP] Grünwyrm

Lukc
01-12-2012, 10:42 AM

I'm fiddling around with my campaign setting and have finally started working on the setting map. Here's a vectorous stab at it ... but I'm tempted to make the whole thing even more abstract (i.e. simple triangles for mountains, shallower triangles for hills) ... or maybe a faux-relief map for the base ... Or maybe I should drag the land areas into Photoshop for editing and then return to Illu for the labelling. Choices, choices ...

Darkenor
01-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Cool start. How did you do those latitude lines?

Sapiento
01-13-2012, 03:19 AM
Cool start. How did you do those latitude lines?

I guess LukC used Inkscape or Illustrator. There you can draw lines and rotate/copy them as you like, same is with the circles which can be changed in size as you like.

Lukc
01-13-2012, 03:48 AM
Yup - vector editing software with layers. It's a fun distraction when what you thought was just a cold turns into the flu.

I tried working on the terrain in PS, but I was *very* dissatisfied with my results :) guess I'll keep it vectorous.

Hai-Etlik
01-13-2012, 07:22 AM
It's at one of the poles?

Lukc
01-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Yes, it is. Probably the South pole, from what I recall of when I started worldbuilding this setting. I studied the temperature and climate conditions on Earth during the late Cretaceous and the poles had warm and cool temperate climatic conditions. I felt it would make a rather interesting setting, with torrid tropics (around 50°C) and mild poles - with, admittedly, 6 month long days and nights! :) Though I'm still not completely certain how strong an axial tilt to go with ... right now it's approximately the same as the earth's (the dotted line denotes the arctic circle).

Lukc
01-13-2012, 07:26 PM

I've tried a version with even more discrete mountains and hills and a doodled in area of the Golden Empire at its Apogee, approximately 130 years ago now (in-game). Maybe I should keep the mountain symbols, but add elevations ... hmm ... although that doesn't work so well without shading. :-/

ScotlandTom
01-13-2012, 10:55 PM
I like these newer versions of the mountains and hills better that what you had originally. They're easy to read and fit exceptionally well with the whole vector/line art aesthetic you've got going on.

Lukc
01-18-2012, 06:06 PM

Well, I've tried a few more ridiculously abstract forests ... polka dots! :) I think this might actually work. Now to make a pattern for the marshes, grasslands, tundra (moar tundra!), ice (blue polka dots! :)) .... oooh, maybe I should make little traingles for coniferous forests and mixed triangle - dot polkas for mixed ... yess ...

forests (3 types), tundra, marsh, grassland, ice, sand/dirt/barren ... hmmm what else do I need?

Lukc
01-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Hmm ... on second thought, I'm going to make all the forests have a uniform polkadot density ...

Sular
01-18-2012, 07:29 PM
If there was some way of getting a density gradient on the dots, that might look good and allow you to indicate thick forests as well as scattered woodlands. Also, the dots are a bit small to easily be seen at this magnification.

Hai-Etlik
01-18-2012, 09:26 PM
If there was some way of getting a density gradient on the dots, that might look good and allow you to indicate thick forests as well as scattered woodlands. Also, the dots are a bit small to easily be seen at this magnification.

That reminds me, I really need to get back to work on my stippling program.

Lukc
01-19-2012, 03:07 AM
Density gradient? What do you mean exactly? That I create several different densities of dots (easy enough) or that the density changes dynamically depending on the density of woodlands (much, much, much harder)?

(yes, the dots are small because this is a reduced resolution image - the plan is for the map to print out at 24x24 inches - and I want the dots to look like old newsprint halftone. But I'll try making one with slightly larger dots ...)

Lukc
03-02-2012, 04:50 PM

So ... I was sipping a rather insipid lager and said to myself ... heck, let's do a height map!

So I did.

Klaus van der Kroft
03-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Fantastic map indeed.

Reminds me of Taladas. I really like the layout and the style.

Excellent job!

Have some reputation!

Lukc
03-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Hehe, I'd never heard of Taladas before. The map is based on a modified T-O map, with the "T" of waters converted to the great barrier mountains running south to south and the White river canyon flowing from the pole south. It's really quite ridiculous trying to give directions on polar continent :D

Sular
03-03-2012, 12:44 PM
This really is very nice looking. It makes me really wish I had any idea how to use vector editing programs. Perhaps I should look into learning one this week.

As to directions, I suppose you could use some kind of polar coordinate system. Considering the T shape of the mountains, I suppose the direction of fixed reference might be "down" as its sort of a convenient geographic pointer.

Lukc
03-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Yes, I suppose ... in a polar setting like this, one meridian would be defined as the "prime" (probably the one approximating the location of an Imperial Capital or something) and then you could talk of directions spinwards and widdershins, polewards and coastwards. Heck, with limited knowledge of magnetism, a high mountain at the pole would probably be treated as the centre of the world, so it would literally be mountwards and seawards.