PDA

View Full Version : Essos : Game of Thrones map for Fantasy Flight Games by The Red Epic

TheRedEpic
01-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Hey guys,

This is a map i did for Fantasy Flight for their new CCG based on the Free Cities in A Game of Thrones. Was a lot of fun to do, and having to have the final approved by Martin himself was pretty awesome:) Let me know what you think, i', always open for comments!

Thanks!
~Jared

Sapiento
01-21-2012, 01:37 AM
Looks great, as usual. The compass and key are awesome.

Lukc
01-21-2012, 02:43 AM
Very nicely done and congratulations!

TheRedEpic
01-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks guys:)

feanaaro
01-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Wonderful map. But is not "Braavos" spelled as such, and not "Bravos", as written in the map?

Domo230
01-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Would love to know how you did this

maxsdaddy
01-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Got a kindle for christmas and haven't put it down since then whilst reading Game of Thrones. I first bumped across the author reading the Wild Card series. Great map. How about marking the dragon roads. I seem to remember Tyrion hopping out and noticing that they were melted sand or rock elevated and barely worn even though well travelled. Can't remember if they were left there before the Doom of Valyria or not but it would probably be something someone with a map would like marked.

Carnivale
01-24-2012, 12:27 AM
Ah, nice to see a map of the Free Cities! Great work! I especially love the detail of the decorations!

Clercon
01-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Really nice map. I like the overall colour scheme.

Saule
01-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Very nice! I love the 'papery' style, the font and the little town. Everything works very well together.

ScotlandTom
01-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Really wonderful map. It has that old and worn feel without being hard to read. Nicely done!

TheRedEpic
01-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Thanks everyone! and yes feanaaro, it is indeed spelled wrong on this map! I have emailed and sent the corrected file to FF this night and hopefully its not too late. I can't believe they didn't see this imperfection when going through all the layers of art directors and in house guys. I hope they didn't start printing this already or they are in for a very big surprise!

~Jared

feanaaro
01-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks everyone! and yes feanaaro, it is indeed spelled wrong on this map! I have emailed and sent the corrected file to FF this night and hopefully its not too late. I can't believe they didn't see this imperfection when going through all the layers of art directors and in house guys. I hope they didn't start printing this already or they are in for a very big surprise!

~Jared
From my personal experience, those that do the proof-reading are usually the most inaccurate and unfocused persons one could ever hope to find.
Or perhaps they were just not that into Martin... well, indeed Martin himself should have noticed at least. Ok, it's just that I am incredibly picky.

TheRedEpic
01-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Well it seems FF caught the Braavos mistake in the pipeline so we are safe for now:) This map was done entirely in photoshop CS3. I make alot of my own splatter brushes and try to wear out the map and try to give it that hand done feel:)

theMountainGoat
01-28-2012, 06:27 AM
Beautiful map of Essos, congratulations.

Orgrund
05-06-2012, 04:23 PM
excellent very good job

TheRedEpic
05-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the comments guys:)

Jaxilon
05-07-2012, 02:22 AM
Very pretty as usual. I wish I was able to pound maps as quick as some of you guys do. Of course, I suppose you are doing this full time whereas I've only got my midnight hours :)

Great job!

sim97fan3
05-07-2012, 06:48 PM
As a HUGE fan of A Song of Ice and Fire, I really love the map. However, I felt the Qohor Forest should have been done differently. I believe actual trees would have been more fitting than a top down look effect, not that it looked bad. The key and compass are beautiful. What font was used for the city names? Also, why did Bravos, Pentos, and Myr have circles around them?

sim97fan3
05-07-2012, 06:52 PM
And how did you create the folded effect?

grangarian
05-12-2012, 09:48 PM
Awesome job!

Steel General
05-13-2012, 07:57 AM
A fine piece, one to be proud of!

TheRedEpic
05-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments, it was really fun tackling this map! I believe the set that it will be in was just released: A Game of Thrones: Beyond the Narrow Sea: Valar Morhulis which should be good!

@ sim97fan3- This is a way i have done forests in some of my earlier maps and i like the effects it gives, though it is a bit blockish i suppose! I though it fitting for the map (being hand done by some scribe), though i guess i could have done it in other ways as well:) As for the folding effect, its just a matter of erasing, beating up, burning and painting the base layers of the piece is CS4. I often done folds and creases just because old maps are just that- old, and usually well used!

~J