PDA

View Full Version : [CG Choice Map] The Quary and Towne of Lymeport

RobA
03-28-2008, 02:11 PM
I finally finished up the map of a town by a quarry started in this thread (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1573).

-Rob A>

ravells
03-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Lovely, I really like the canvas texture as well!

priggs
03-28-2008, 05:47 PM
That is beautiful! I love the pen & ink/watercolor look.

RobA
03-28-2008, 08:35 PM
I updated the image with a larger version (75% of the size I drew it at). I think this is a good "final" size for the image.

Appreciate the comment on the canvas pattern, Ravs. I tried to keep it subtle, using a cloud layer mask to dampen areas of the canvas pattern overlay, but would go with the ink/watercolour look.

Here is a subtle variation. I flattened the map image and performed a slight displacement map using the same canvas texture. This makes the map look painted on the canvas more, now, rather than just having a canvas texture. Any preferences?

(Now I have to leave this, or I'll keep playing forever!)

-Rob A>

NeonKnight
03-28-2008, 08:59 PM
That is a nice, really nice map.

ravells
03-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Equally good in different ways to me.

pyrandon
03-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Rob, I LOVE this map. Its authentic, hand drawn feel is wonderful, and the use of the inking details (ex: the hatching in the fields) is a perfect middleground between sparse and dense. I myself prefer the displacement mapped version, for I think hand-drawn needs some sort of authentic texture to complete the effect. On that same note, I am not fond of the edges fading out. But otherwise I think this is great, just great!

Sigurd
03-30-2008, 10:28 PM
The feeling in this map is really strong. Good Work!

I love the frame and the compass Rose!

Did you get them somewhere or make them for the map?

Sigurd

RobA
03-31-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks fro the compliments!

The frame was drawn directly in GIMP simply by making a selection, stroking it, shrinking it, and so on. I varried the stroke with a few times and changed the pen style once (to get the dots).

The rose was drawn in Inkscape and the svg was brought into GIMP as a path. The shading was done by filling it with an angled gradient and using that as a bump map on the solid black rose shape.

-Rob A>

JFJohnny5
04-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Excellent map! I REALLY like it! I love the whole pen and ink with a sort of watercolor look. Been following the WIP thread and the final is wonderful.

nwelte
04-11-2008, 09:12 PM
How did you make the texture for the canvas and get the water color feel?

torstan
04-12-2008, 03:53 AM
Also, what pen settings did you use to get the pen lines? They're lovely.

RobA
04-12-2008, 09:26 AM
How did you make the texture for the canvas and get the water color feel?
The water colour feel was just accomplished by building up the colours manually then applying a slight gimpressionist filter at the end.
Canvas was done at the last minute by just applying a slight canvas texture overlay with a cloud mask, and using the same texture as a displacement map to jitter the ink layer to follow the canvas contours.

Also, what pen settings did you use to get the pen lines? They're lovely.

I used a pen :) It was a scanned drawing I made.

Here is the WIP thread that describes the whole process. (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1573)

Thanks for the praise!

-Rob A>

torstan
04-13-2008, 04:20 AM
Thanks. Should have known!