PDA

View Full Version : The world of Etrakien

Clercon
03-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Well the name Etrakien sounds nice in swedish.......but I guess that in english it would probably be called Ethracy. Anyway enough of that.

This is my project at the moment...trying to put an old world to paper. I've been working on this world for a long time. in the beginning it was meant for an roleplaying adventure but now....well I'm just mapping.

I must say that I've learnt a lot about photoshop and maping since I joined the guild. So thanks a lot for sharing all your stuff and ideas.

Well the map is in an early stage but I thought I share it with you. As you can see I'm so far only working on the southern part of the world, and it's still far from done.

Well thats all at the moment and don't be afraid to give me your thoughts :-)

ravells
03-29-2008, 11:53 PM
very neat. I like the forest texture and the clean lines. Looking forward to seeing this one develop.

pyrandon
03-30-2008, 12:04 AM
I agree! This is very exciting! Keep it coming, Clercon.

DarkOne
03-30-2008, 02:29 AM
Mountains looks very nice.

Sular
03-30-2008, 07:46 PM
I agree with the other; this is shaping up to be a very nice map. I especially like the sinuousness of the rivers. There is a gracefulness about them as they pass through the forest.

My only real criticism is that the colors of the land and water (while excellent in their own right) tend to blend together around the rivers and the large inland sea or lake making the shorelines indistinct.

NeonKnight
03-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Very nice map.

Clercon
04-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Thanx for all the nice words. The plan is to put in all the mountains/rivers/forests first. After that I'll try to figure out how the borders between the countries will turn out. I have som things clear, for example where the "city of cities" Ankh-bathor is situated, a very important and powerful place in the Etrakien world. The map is loosly based on an older handdrawn version. But I was never really satisfied with how it turned out. So I decided to do a complete remake this time (some things are still there though). I try to upload the original map later on (am at work at the moment and shouldn't really be in here reading around ;-)).

cheers

rwaluchow
04-02-2008, 02:50 PM
This map is looking great. I love the mountains and forests. I don't think the rivers are all that realistic in terms of layout though. Particularly how the river in the south just swings back to the east past the mountains. (that just doesn't strike me as very realistic)

anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress with this one.

cheers,

Rwaluchow

Mulliman
04-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Well the name Etrakien sounds nice in swedish.......but I guess that in english it would probably be called Ethracy. Anyway enough of that.

Ethracia would be more correct and sound better too :).

Very nice map.

su_liam
04-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Etrakien sounds perfectly good in English. Ethracy, not so good... But it would fit in an English, "Shire," situated with towns like Burpwallow, Oxgut, Frogsplat and the Little Hockspit River. Actually, never mind, I think I'll be using those myself<whistles happily away>

Clercon
04-17-2008, 08:08 PM
OK here is a small update to my world map. Some more mountains and forest added.

About the name...lets stick to Etrakien :-)

ravells
04-18-2008, 12:29 PM
I really like the way you're using the curve motif, it makes the map look really elegant. Lovely work, keep going!

Clercon
04-27-2008, 08:02 PM
Yet another update of the map. All mountains, rivers and forests are in place. Well some changes may occur as progress goes on. But nothing major.

cheers

Midgardsormr
04-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Lovely! Are you using CC3 for this map? If so, you've done a terrific job developing the style. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

ravells
04-27-2008, 08:39 PM
I think it's photoshop.

Clercon
04-28-2008, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the compliment Midgardsormr. As Ravells say it's all done in photoshop. So no CC3 involved at all. But maybe I should make a style like this in CC3. It would defenitley speed up working time once it's done :-)

Well first of all I'm going to try to finsish this map.

industrygothica
04-28-2008, 06:19 AM
I'm envious of your mountains. If you should ever feel the need to share your technique, I'm all eyes. ;)

-IG

Clercon
04-28-2008, 06:43 AM
I'm envious of your mountains. If you should ever feel the need to share your technique, I'm all eyes. ;)

-IG

I gladly tell you how I've done them. Actually there is already a tutorial for it here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1669).

As you can see the tutorial is done by hapimeses. So all the credits for my mountains really belong to him.

industrygothica
04-28-2008, 06:48 AM
I gladly tell you how I've done them. Actually there is already a tutorial for it here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1669).

As you can see the tutorial is done by hapimeses. So all the credits for my mountains really belong to him.

I've seen the tutorial, and it's a good one. I'm assuming you didn't draw and shade each one individually, the pattern that's got my attention. I just can't get mine to turn out like that, they still seem to be all over the place.

Clercon
04-28-2008, 09:28 AM
I've seen the tutorial, and it's a good one. I'm assuming you didn't draw and shade each one individually, the pattern that's got my attention. I just can't get mine to turn out like that, they still seem to be all over the place.

As a matter of fact I did. the forest is done with a pattern but all the mountains are drawn individually. I tried to do a pattern for the mountains but I couldn't get 'em the way I wanted. So yes it takes about ten times the time to do them individually but as you can see from the result it pays off.

And after a while you actually get some speed in and you can always see it as some therapy time :-)

industrygothica
04-28-2008, 09:46 AM
As a matter of fact I did. the forest is done with a pattern but all the mountains are drawn individually. I tried to do a pattern for the mountains but I couldn't get 'em the way I wanted. So yes it takes about ten times the time to do them individually but as you can see from the result it pays off.

And after a while you actually get some speed in and you can always see it as some therapy time :-)

Well, now I'm doubly impressed. I really need to get a tablet. Well done!

Clercon
04-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Well, now I'm doubly impressed. I really need to get a tablet. Well done!

Yes you really need a tablet. I can't put to words how great they are. Once you start using them you can't go back :-)

industrygothica
04-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Yes you really need a tablet. I can't put to words how great they are. Once you start using them you can't go back :-)

Which brings me to a question I've been meaning to ask but keep forgetting:

What's the best tablet? And by best, I mean the cheapest that'll still do the trick and not make me want to throw it against the wall.

SpamValiant
04-29-2008, 10:52 AM
What's the best tablet? And by best, I mean the cheapest that'll still do the trick and not make me want to throw it against the wall.

Let me get a comfy chair and some popcorn. This should make for an entertaining thread...:D

Jkaen
04-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Try checking out this thread (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=552) for info on tablet (just started searching on info myself yesterday)

industrygothica
04-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Try checking out this thread (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=552) for info on tablet (just started searching on info myself yesterday)

That's a tremendous help. Thanks!

RPMiller
04-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Hey cool! I'm glad all that info is proving useful. I have to say that the tablet I mention I bought has been serving me very very well. It isn't extremely portable do to its size, but the available drawing space is worth it. I've traced a few hand drawings thanks to having that space available. Interestingly enough the tablet is the same size as my wide screen laptop so that fit very nicely together in my bag.

delgondahntelius
05-01-2008, 06:58 AM
Excellent map and excellent mountains... Very impressed with the individual time you took to do each one... and for the forests... i'm all eyes and ears for how you did those ... what size are you working with for the over all map? What is the scale of the map?

delgondahntelius
05-01-2008, 07:01 AM
Which brings me to a question I've been meaning to ask but keep forgetting:

I recently bought a tablet the Genius G-Pen F-610 that is working out great for me... and it was under $100 (u.s. dollars, which doesn't seem to be worth all that much these days.)

Thought I'd throw that out there :)

torstan
05-01-2008, 09:36 AM
I had a Nisis A4 tablet for a while but never really got into using it. I got an A6 Wacom Graphire4 for christmas and it is fantastic. It cost £80 (which is around $160 these days) and it does everything I need, with the exception of having tilt sensitivity. As Wacom discontinued this range and brought out the Bamboo range I guess the ebay cost for these will come down significantly. The fact that the pen does not need batteries, or replaceable nibs, is brilliant. The drawing space is more than enough which was quite a surprise.

industrygothica
05-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Sorry for the threadjack here...

Speaking of the Bamboo, has anyone used one? Are they any good for mapping?

Clercon
05-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Excellent map and excellent mountains... Very impressed with the individual time you took to do each one... and for the forests... i'm all eyes and ears for how you did those ... what size are you working with for the over all map? What is the scale of the map?

Thanks for the nice words :-)
The forest is done with a pattern as a base layer. On top of that layer I have a layer with green colour an 50% opacity. After that it's just some freehand painting to get some variation in colours. Honestly I'm still figuring out how to do it...this is actually my first map completely done in PS. Previosly I've always done the drawing and colouring by hand. PS has only been used for names and borders. So we see where this will end up :-)

Clercon
05-18-2008, 08:43 PM
I decided to redo all the rivers on the map. They felt out of scale. So here is a update with, in my opinion, better rivers. I've also added some small islands and small features to the coastline.

:-)

Clercon
05-26-2008, 06:54 AM
I'm trying to put in some hills on my map and i don't know if I'm in the right direction. So I thought I put up a test that I've done. What do you think? Will it work?

I also did put some green colour in the coast line to highlight it a bit.

Well, feel free to comment.

DanChops
05-26-2008, 08:15 AM
I think the hills look great, and the green border outlining the land works quite well.

And I'm stunned that you drew all those mountains by hand. Very impressive.

jfrazierjr
05-26-2008, 12:26 PM
I think the hills look great, and the green border outlining the land works quite well.

Ditto. The hills look very nice. Did you do those with a tablet or mouse?

RobA
05-27-2008, 02:29 AM
Hills look good to me, too.

-Rob A>

ravells
05-27-2008, 10:04 AM
I love this map, especially great arcing shapes of the mountain ranges which gives it a really individual character. Lovely work, and super improvements from the last time.

Talroth
05-27-2008, 08:38 PM
it looks good, I love to see more people using hand drawn mountain ranges.

The only issue that sticks out to my eyes would be the river on the south-west, I would expect a river that started on the western edge of a mountain to drain to the western coast, not switch around to the east.

Clercon
05-28-2008, 05:26 AM

Thanks for the nice words. I actually tried to do a pattern for the mountains at first but it was hard to get them the way I wanted. So I realized that there is no shortcut to good looking mountains so I did them all by hand. But it doesn't take that much time to do. For every mountain range I did the time to do it decreased a lot. And it was actually fun to see the ranges develop and the carachter of the land take shape.

Ditto. The hills look very nice. Did you do those with a tablet or mouse?

I did them using a tablet. Without a tablet I never could have done this map.

it looks good, I love to see more people using hand drawn mountain ranges.

The only issue that sticks out to my eyes would be the river on the south-west, I would expect a river that started on the western edge of a mountain to drain to the western coast, not switch around to the east.

In my opinion hand drawn mountains look better and are more fun to do then patterns. Yes it takes a lot more time but the result really pays off.

About the river....well in fantasy worlds the rivers don't always behave the way you expect ;-) Honestly I didn't think about....but for now I think I stick with the abswer above.

Clercon
05-29-2008, 08:09 PM
So I decided to remake the hills. It was something that was missing....couldn't put the finger on what but I tried something else. Here is the result. In my opinion it feels more in line with the rest of the map.

jfrazierjr
05-30-2008, 10:49 AM
I like both. Can't make up my mind which I like more...

Joe

Clercon
06-07-2008, 08:05 PM
So my litle map is one step closer to the finishline. All terrain is done. So what's left is to put in all the cities and countries.

cheers

ravells
06-08-2008, 05:34 PM
This looks utterly beautiful, Clercon - great work. It's a very artistic and individual map.

Karro
06-09-2008, 01:06 PM
This looks utterly beautiful, Clercon - great work. It's a very artistic and individual map.

Seconded. The system tells me that I need more than that one word to post a message, so I'll add "looks great!"

delgondahntelius
06-09-2008, 11:10 PM
That is an awesome map you got there... beautiful work

landorl
06-11-2008, 12:44 PM
I thought that it was looking good before you started adding hills and desert symbols. Now it is absolutely stunning. I love the way that you made it look like the hills grow steadily into the mountains!

Hapimeses
07-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Good job. Great to see my mountains being put to effective use. I'm interested to see how the final map will look. Do you intend naming anything, and/or adding settlements?

Clercon
07-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Good job. Great to see my mountains being put to effective use. I'm interested to see how the final map will look. Do you intend naming anything, and/or adding settlements?

Thanks for the nice words. Yes I intend to put in borders for all countries, name 'em and put out the capital towns. I'm working on it at the moment, when time mysteriously shows up. Which is not as often as I want to.

This is also my first map completely done in PS, so it takes more time then I want it to do cause I have to invent (or copy) everything I do. I'm also not an expert on PS but I'm learning a lot on the way here.

So it might take a litle while before the next update.

But I'm glad you people like it :-)

Mulliman
07-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Maps looks really nice!

Just a question. Have you already set the history in place, or are you doing the map first?

Clercon
07-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Maps looks really nice!

Just a question. Have you already set the history in place, or are you doing the map first?

Yes I do have a story to the world so I’m not just mapping. I also have names and some history for some of the central states, but after creating this map the whole world has materialized so I’m missing some pieces now that I have to make up. It’s a bit tricky.

For you who are interested the world story is something like this in a very short version…..

In the beginning the creator god, usually only called “The First” by the few who still know he once existed, created the original world Elimo. He also created seven lesser gods, called Archonths to help him with his creation.

Well the Archonths got jealous with “The First” and killed him, some say. Some still claim that “The First" just got bored of the whole thing and left. No one knows for sure, but the end of the line here is that the Archonths now where the ones setting the rules.

They all decided to create their own worlds, because they all wanted to do it their way. The problem though was that they couldn’t create anything from scratch, they couldn’t create life. To solve this problem they pillaged the original world, Elimo, to fulfill their dreams in their newly created worlds. But everything they created where just lesser copies in one way or another from the original idea/creation. The second problem was that the whole universe/creation got destabilized by the creation of these new worlds. This led to the opening of corridors between the worlds via the borderlands. An area not in the physical world and not in the ethereal (dream)world, but a place in between them.

The humanoids that the Archonths had created learned to travel these areas and empires stretching between worlds emerged. These empires grew stronger and stronger and in the end the whole creation and the Archonths themselves where threatened.

The Archonts decided to crush the threat and threw water , wind and fire against their cities and people. But the Humanoids struck back and a war that no one ever could have imagined broke out. In the end the Archonths managed to crush the humanoids empires but only to the price of giving up their own powers. Some of them died, some of them just vanished and some of them went in to hiding, powerless and weak.

After this the paths between the world has since long been forgotten, but they are still there. The universe has stabilized and the world that is today has emerged with its new Gods, Kingdoms and Empires. Still you can find ruins after great cities that no one knew who build. Walls that no one can break and weapons of metal that no one knows how to make or where to mine.

The biggest city in the world of Etrakien Ankh-bathor is situated on one of the old cities from the distant past. Here the old ruins have been restored and are now part of the daily life in the city. Underneath the city you can find vast catacombs that are older then ayone remembers, and far far down in the lower parts of the catacombs there is a closed gate that hopefully no one will open again. A gate that leads to other worlds.

Mulliman
07-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Thats a very interesting history actually :). Thanks for sharing.

Another question though. How will the "modern" kind of history look like? I mean for the current nations in your world.

Clercon
07-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Hmmm… the history of the present time is a bit more complicated. Everything isn’t set in stone yet and some things have to change after having created the map. The actual world is now much larger than originally and that has to be taken in to account. But I can give you a short introduction to the basic ideas that probably won’t change much.

The whole idea was to create a quite dark, hard and dirty world. No fancy high fantasy, no races except humans and no mercy for the weak. What I got in the end was the world of Etrakien. You can say that there are three main races (ok I didn’t stick to only humans, but for a reason).

First of all you have humans, just like you and me. It’s the humans that are the top race in the world. All countries, kingdoms and Empires are human settlements. Of course I had to make an exception to this simple little rule.

There is an island called Arnor where the ruling race is called “The Faceless ones”. They are humanoid but they don’t have any eyes and their noses are just two holes. When they move around they always have a mask, painted like a normal human face, in front of their face to avoid scaring the normal humans. There aren’t many “Faceless ones” around anymore and among humans they are sometimes called the “dying ones”. But they live for a long time and are very powerful when it comes to dream walking (which is a very powerful thing to do).
Originally they come from another world but got stuck in this world after the war against the Archonths. Since then they’ve been searching for a way back, even though they now have forgot exactly what they are searching for.

The third race is the Traals (Traaler). They are big, strong and fearsome warriors in hand to hand combat. But their technology is very basic, which is the reason they’ve been dominated by the humans. The word Traal comes from a human word that means slave. I think you get the point from that.

After the big war that crushed the humanoids empires it all had to start from the beginning again. Slowly civilizations started to rise once more, in some places quicker than in others. After a while small city states emerged around the world. The city states expanded and small kingdoms saw its first light of day.

Some of the kingdoms started to cooperate and the Etrakien Empire was created. The Empire stretched out and put more and more small kingdoms under its ruling. Finally it clashed with the kingdom of Arnor (The Faceless ones) and the Etrakien Empires expansion came to a halt.

After some time the Etrakien Empire falls apart and the world as it is today is created. The Etrakien Empire still exist but isn’t as strong and important as it once was. It’s more of a decadent former superpower that has seen its best days.

I try to describe the world as it is today a bit more when I put up a map with all the countries in it. It’s easier to have a map to refer to when you do it.

But hopefully this gives you some idea what my world is like.

CrimsonNight01
08-07-2008, 02:05 AM
Hey Clercon, I'm new to this site, and just wanted to say that this is a high quality map. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished copy, I like the complicated backstory that you have to it!

PokealypseNow
08-08-2008, 03:04 AM
So my litle map is one step closer to the finishline. All terrain is done. So what's left is to put in all the cities and countries.

cheers

This is a fantastic piece of work you've got going so far, Clercon. The map's looking good, and I'm always stoked to see thought going into the world it represents! Nicely done!

Have you considered making the mountains a dark shade of brown instead of straight black? Being the only black on the map, it stands out a whole lot.

Great work so far man - I'm looking forward to how this progresses.

Clercon
08-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Not many updates lately, but you don't get that much time in front of the computer during summer. Anyway here's a small update. I decided to expand the map a bit in the south. No countries or towns yet. I'm coming to that.

Hinaloth
08-12-2008, 07:27 AM
Really nice. Mountain seem too thin to me but it might be my imagination.

Ho, and your west island, there in the middle part, it have strange line in the inlet... starting a water level?

Clercon
08-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Really nice. Mountain seem too thin to me but it might be my imagination.

Ho, and your west island, there in the middle part, it have strange line in the inlet... starting a water level?

Well the lines in the water was originally around all the land. But I decided to remove it, but obviously forgot it at one place. Still don't know though if I keep it this way or put it back. We'll see.

About the mountains, well I think they look good :-) What do you mean with too thin? Are they too small in size or should they take up more space on the map?

Aristotle
08-12-2008, 09:24 PM
This is one of my favorites. I'm a long way off from anything like this, but I'll be emulating some of the styles from this map someday. :)

Clercon
12-12-2008, 08:29 PM
It has been a very long time since my last update. But I haven’t given up my little world map.
I’ve taken a Photoshop course this Autumn so it hasn’t been much time to work on the map. Anyway now I have added some new features so I thought I should put them up for display. To see what you all think of them. Am I in the right direction here? The borders of the countries have really been a big problem to me. I think I’ve tried over 10 different ways of doing them. Now I finally have something that I feel satisfied with. Well enough babbling, have a look and see what you think.

All the names are in Swedish……but hey I’m Swedish so I prefer it that way :-) If you wonder what the names mean just give me a shout.

Midgardsormr
12-12-2008, 09:17 PM
I like it. The nations stick with the clean look of the map, and the labels are easily readable. This continues to be one of my favourite maps to watch.

jfrazierjr
12-13-2008, 01:35 AM
Nice map....Rep too low.... REP++

Gandwarf
12-13-2008, 07:56 PM
The quality of the work displayed on this forum seems to get better and better. I love this map, it looks so cool. I stand in awe :)

Repped!

ravells
12-14-2008, 12:07 PM
This is one of my favourite WIPs, I have loved seeing this map develop from the start. I think the borders look great, but as I haven't seen your nine other options, it's hard for me to really compare! I can tell you for free that when you finish this map, it's going to be showcased as a CL's choice.

Clercon
12-17-2008, 07:24 PM
So I've decided to call my map done. So you better head over to the Finished map thread if you want to see it.

Thanks for all the help and support.

Gandwarf
03-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Some thread resurrection...
Not sure if this has already been posted somewhere, but it looks like your style made it to the CC3 annual?

http://sub.profantasy.com/2009/april09.html

RPMiller
03-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Some thread resurrection...
Not sure if this has already been posted somewhere, but it looks like your style made it to the CC3 annual?

http://sub.profantasy.com/2009/april09.html
Yup, I was going to mention the same thing. Well done!

Clercon
03-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks guys...and yes it is correct. I have finished the last bitmaps this week so the style will probably be done any minute. It has been a great experience and very fun work to do. And without all of you it never would have happened. I've learned so much from this forum that made it possible to create the style.

Thanks to everyone :-)