PDA

View Full Version : The Swampy Town of Moccasin Hill

Immolate
01-30-2012, 06:06 PM
This is another map for my campaign, done over the weekend. Moccasin Hill is a swamp town with some interesting things going on. It is perpetually shrouded in fog, especially at night. The map depicts one of its lighter periods. All of the roofs are done in a reed thatch.

Being in the middle of the Fenwater Bog between the great cities of Arbordan and Bandurin, the village at times sees a lot of traffic between the two, although there are other routes (such as the Ubathor and Gildenmorrow Rivers) that are more heavily traveled. There is also an underground tunnel that spans the distance between Gammaldine and Bandurin, but it belongs to the Dwarves and they share their secrets with few topsiders.

The techniques used were mostly developed in my Siete Torres map. Buildings that perfectly align with the sun can be flatter than they should be. A lot of the props came from Dunjinni.com.

lostatsea
01-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Very nice encounter map. The color scheme really fits the story !

dangerdog15
01-31-2012, 01:50 PM
Sweet map Immolate! Kind of reminds me of a village in Skyrim, but the colors are very different and nice. Great job on the use of color to create a feeling of swampy-ness.

Immolate
01-31-2012, 10:22 PM
Hey well, I'm colorblind, so if the colors work it's because my wife is willing to straighten me out when I made dumb mistakes (as are folks here :) )

dangerdog15
02-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Hey, color blindness never stopped a friend of mine from doing some of the coolest art I've ever seen. His girlfriend would help him out or he'd only use one color and black. You do what you have to.

Lukc
02-02-2012, 03:30 AM
I'm colourblind too, so I can guarantee - the colours on this map are all just fine :)

Lloyien
02-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Excellent work. I must ask, was the watchtower's shadow something you added personally, or added in via a program you used to make the map with? Either way, I love it.

Simon33600
02-03-2012, 02:43 PM
I really love this map! God job!

Immolate
02-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks for your comments everyone. To answer your question Lloyien, all of the shadows were hand-crafted, which is the only way you can really model multi-level building shadows.

Bogie
02-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Great map immolate! I see a couple of the items I posted at Dundjinni in it.:)

Are you going to be posting a larger / higher res version? Us greedy people always want more!

Immolate
02-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Bogie,

Well, it's a reference map rather than a battle map, so it was made at 1000x1000. My computer is old enough that the big stuff bogs it down a bit. When I go for the big show-pieces, it takes anywhere from a couple of weeks to a month. I can't afford that with a campaign about to start, so I just try to "git 'er done" and move on to the next project.

Thanks for all of your efforts at Dunjinni. I'm sad to see it fade to obscurity though I've never used the software.